Program-Specific Info / Q's PACIFIC UNIVERSITY OTD FALL 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CA2WAGIRL

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Has anyone applied for the OTD program for PU yet or are you in the process? Let's communicate about our applications here!

Members don't see this ad.

We're applying to all the same schools! I love it! The deadline will be here before we know it. I haven't started my app yet (I've just created an account and have started looking it over).

We're applying to all the same schools! I love it! The deadline will be here before we know it. I haven't started my app yet (I've just created an account and have started looking it over).
Great! Well glad we can go through this admissions process together then! I'm so happy they charge 25 if we get the app in before December. OTCAS has been more convenient for sure, but definitely more expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! Well glad we can go through this admissions process together then! I'm so happy they charge 25 if we get the app in before December. OTCAS has been more convenient for sure, but definitely more expensive.

Oh my goodness, yes! It's so wonderfully cheap. Yes, for sure! We should share stats! I posted mine in another thread but I'll look for them and post them here if you want.

Oh my goodness, yes! It's so wonderfully cheap. Yes, for sure! We should share stats! I posted mine in another thread but I'll look for them and post them here if you want.
Okay! I've been working my butt off these past years in undergrad. I haven't graduated yet but I will soon!

Major: Kinesiology
Cumulative GPA so far: 3.98
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
Almost 100 hours of shadowing mostly inpatient but also outpatient OT and I have volunteered with Young Athletes through Special Olympics

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Okay! I've been working my butt off these past years in undergrad. I haven't graduated yet but I will soon!

Major: Kinesiology
Cumulative GPA so far: 3.98
Almost 100 hours of shadowing mostly inpatient but also outpatient OT and I have volunteered with Young Athletes through Special Olympics

You have solid stats! You seem like a very well-rounded applicant to me :)

Major: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: about 3.97
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: yet to take

Shadowing: about 40 outpatient, about 20 peds, and about 20 inpatient...still in progress! Goal is to get about 40-50 for each type.

Volunteer: children's club (about 3 years), volunteered in Mexico mission trips, music drama day camps for kids, one special needs summer camp, served food at local funerals and weddings, served food at a low income thanksgiving

Relevant work experience: physical therapy aide (since February), writing tutor and supplemental instructor for English and writing at my college

Extras: Future Physician Leaders internship, Certificate of excellence award, graduated from honors program in community college and summa cum lauds from undergraduate major.

I guess I have a lot of experience but not all of it is OT related lol.

Shadowing: about 40 outpatient, about 20 peds, and about 20 inpatient...still in progress! Goal is to get about 40-50 for each type.

Volunteer: children's club (about 3 years), volunteered in Mexico mission trips, music drama day camps for kids, one special needs summer camp, served food at local funerals and weddings, served food at a low income thanksgiving

Relevant work experience: physical therapy aide (since February), writing tutor and supplemental instructor for English and writing at my college

Extras: Future Physician Leaders internship, Certificate of excellence award, graduated from honors program in community college and summa cum lauds from undergraduate major.

WOW! Your stats are great too wonderful job preparing!! :)

Also, they don't require the GRE :) honestly I only did well on the analytical writing section so I'm applying to schools like this that don't require GRE or don't have a minimum

Also, they don't require the GRE :) honestly I only did well on the analytical writing section so I'm applying to schools like this that don't require GRE or don't have a minimum

Yes, thank goodness, but I'm applying to several other schools that do. Ugh.

And thanks!!! To be honest, I still feel unprepared, especially with pending observation hours. I'm anxious to submit them soon, as I know waiting to submit documentation can hold up the process, but I still want to accumulate more. Also, I had a messy time with OTCAS so I just feel disorganized and uncertain about it all. It's super unsettling. But hey! If it's meant to be ☺️

I will be applying to Pacific as well :) I started the app but haven't been working on it too much yet since it's one of my later deadlines. My stats aren't as great as either of yours but fingers crossed for us all!

I will be applying to Pacific as well :) I started the app but haven't been working on it too much yet since it's one of my later deadlines. My stats aren't as great as either of yours but fingers crossed for us all!

Right on! :) Best of luck. Are you applying to other schools as well?

I'm a little confused as to what a "competitive applicant" looks like for Pacific. The admissions requirements seem pretty minimal compared to other OT programs, but they've highly selective.

Right on! :) Best of luck. Are you applying to other schools as well?

I'm a little confused as to what a "competitive applicant" looks like for Pacific. The admissions requirements seem pretty minimal compared to other OT programs, but they've highly selective.

Yes I'm also applying to NYU, Columbia, MCPHS, D'Youville, and still thinking of others. Pacific is my #1 though because I'm from CA but I'm not taking the GRE so my options are fairly limited. I know what you mean about Pacific.. but hopefully we get through to interviews then I think they base their decisions on that.

Ayyy Pacific U application coming through here! Just gotta fill out my cumulative GPA and send in my transcripts.

Major: Economics (2009, I'm old...er than the usual applicant)
Cumulative GPA: Not sure yet (2.3 probably lol EDIT: Just found out it's 2.76 on OTCAS)
Last 45: 3.96
GRE: 155V, 150Q, 4.5W (but it doesn't matter for Pacific U)

Shadowing: 120+ hours acute rehab inpatient/outpatient hospital, 32+ hours neuro rehab outpatient pediatrics

Volunteer: 40 hours workshop leader for fear of falling classes at senior centers, middle school leader at church for 3 years every weekend during undergrad (about 10 years ago... these middle schoolers just graduated college! So they might be the same age as you haha!)

Relevant work experience: over 5000 hours of personal training experience and personal training manager to 3 different teams in 3 different locations.

Extras: I should be Summa Cum Laude this past year doing prereqs and boosting my GPA at a community college (4.0) but I don't really know how that works. I should figure it out so I can put it on the app to submit. EDIT: just figured out cum laude awards are for those graduating. I won't be graduating from this community college... just boosting gpa now that prereqs are done.

I don't think my Cumulative GPA will be very competitive. But it depends on how much weight they put into it. Good luck everyone! Hope to see you at interviews!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ayyy Pacific U application coming through here! Just gotta fill out my cumulative GPA and send in my transcripts.

Major: Economics (2009, I'm old...er than the usual applicant)
Cumulative GPA: Not sure yet (2.3 probably lol)
Last 45: 3.96
GRE: 155V, 150Q, 4.5W (but it doesn't matter for Pacific U)

Shadowing: 120+ hours acute rehab inpatient/outpatient hospital, 32+ hours neuro rehab outpatient pediatrics

Volunteer: 40 hours workshop leader for fear of falling classes at senior centers, middle school leader at church for 3 years every weekend during undergrad (about 10 years ago... these middle schoolers just graduated college! So they might be the same age as you haha!)

Relevant work experience: over 5000 hours of personal training experience and personal training manager to 3 different teams in 3 different locations.

Extras: I should be Summa Cum Laude this past year doing prereqs and boosting my GPA at a community college (4.0) but I don't really know how that works. I should figure it out so I can put it on the app to submit. EDIT: just figured out cum laude awards are for those graduating. I won't be graduating from this community college... just boosting gpa now that prereqs are done.

I don't think my Cumulative GPA will be very competitive. But it depends on how much weight they put into it. Good luck everyone! Hope to see you at interviews!

Oooo, nice Stats! Whatever you may be lacking in GPA, I think you made up for with essentially everything else! Fingers crossed for us both

Oooo, nice Stats! Whatever you may be lacking in GPA, I think you made up for with essentially everything else! Fingers crossed for us both

Yes, good luck to us all!

I'm a bit worried though because I don't see a place to put a resume or work experience... which I think is a strong suit for my application. I should email them... unless anyone has noticed it and I may have missed it.

I'm a bit worried though because I don't see a place to put a resume or work experience... which I think is a strong suit for my application. I should email them... unless anyone has noticed it and I may have missed it.

I literally had the exact same concern, and I'm pretty sure you're spot in in noticing that they don't require it, unfortunately...maybe they'll be lenient and allow us to submit it as an email document if we really think that it'll enhance our application that much more. I'm right there with you.

I literally had the exact same concern, and I'm pretty sure you're spot in in noticing that they don't require it, unfortunately...maybe they'll be lenient and allow us to submit it as an email document if we really think that it'll enhance our application that much more. I'm right there with you.
You are correct there is not a spot for a resume, but I uploaded mine anyway under documents!

Reactions: 1 users

Hi! You can upload your resume under documents and you can put your work experiencer under "experiences"

Yeah, I'll have to ask the grad department advisor. I'd emailed him once and he was quick to respond.

Hi! You can upload your resume under documents and you can put your work experiencer under "experiences"

I don't see a documents section or any place to upload documents. Strange. And I don't think I'd put my work experience into the "experiences" section since there's no place to put a job description or anything. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong application?!

Yeah, I'll have to ask the grad department advisor. I'd emailed him once and he was quick to respond.

I don't see a documents section or any place to upload documents. Strange. And I don't think I'd put my work experience into the "experiences" section since there's no place to put a job description or anything. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong application?!
You're on OTCAS right? Go to supporting information, documents, and under observation hours.

I don't think it's OTCAS, since Pacific doesn't use OTCAS.
OH lol sorry I'm mixing up all these schools. I printed out my resume and included it with the rest of the application in a big manilla envelope.

OH lol sorry I'm mixing up all these schools. I printed out my resume and included it with the rest of the application in a big manilla envelope.

Word. Will do that too.

I applied a couple months ago! Good luck to everyone :)

Update: Just gotta send in my transcripts and then the waiting game begins.......

How's everyone else doing? :)

Update: Just gotta send in my transcripts and then the waiting game begins.......

How's everyone else doing? :)
I have sent mine in along with the $25 yay!

Oh nice! I thought they didn't accept them until October 15th? Best of luck!!

Weird! When I applied in September it didn’t say that it just said the applications for 2018 were now open and allowed me to submit.

hello!

I completed the application last week and my two letters for my references just posted. I believe all I have to do is wait. First time applying to PU or any other OT masters program. I finished a COTA program in Hawaii and currently working as a COTA in Washington State. Not great overall GPA and prereqs aren't the best but not the worst either. We'll see... Good luck to all!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the official email notification today that my application is complete and ready to be reviewed by the committee. Does anyone have visibility on how previous candidates, who were still missing prereqs, did overall on getting selected. I'm still missing a psychology class. thanks!

Hi guys,

I applied as well on October 20th! I'm really nervous because I just got put on the alternate list for MWU when the admissions counselor told me everything looked great in my application. I also did very well on my interview so now I feel a little discouraged :/.
My GPA was a 3.76 and pre-req was a 3.8 with physio in progress.

I really hope I can get in somewhere at this point lol!

Pacific University GPA- Last 45 : 4.2( I had 8 A+'s) and Cum GPA-3.85

Hi guys,

I applied as well on October 20th! I'm really nervous because I just got put on the alternate list for MWU when the admissions counselor told me everything looked great in my application. I also did very well on my interview so now I feel a little discouraged :/.
My GPA was a 3.76 and pre-req was a 3.8 with physio in progress.

I really hope I can get in somewhere at this point lol!

Pacific University GPA- Last 45 : 4.2( I had 8 A+'s) and Cum GPA-3.85

Don’t be discouraged that’s only one program! I got waitlisted for an interview there, completely denied by AT Still and offered an interview from Samuel Merritt. So you never know!

Got the official email notification today that my application is complete and ready to be reviewed by the committee. Does anyone have visibility on how previous candidates, who were still missing prereqs, did overall on getting selected. I'm still missing a psychology class. thanks!

I just received an email from Vicky Hains for the same thing I think:

"Thank you for submitting your application to the School of Occupational Therapy. We have received all required items and your application is complete. The Admissions Committee appreciates your interest in our program and looks forward to reviewing your application. You will receive notification via email when the committee has made interview decisions. "

Anyone receive an email about the interview decisions? I hope I get an interview >.<

Hello! I decided to attend here last minute after meeting current students who absolutely love it so I am just finishing up with my application just waiting on my transcripts but I was wondering how you guys sent yours in.I am a little confused, am I supposed to print out everything from the online app and put it in a envelope or is my transcripts the only thing that needs to be sent through mail? Also did you have your letters of rec printed?

Hello! I decided to attend here last minute after meeting current students who absolutely love it so I am just finishing up with my application just waiting on my transcripts but I was wondering how you guys sent yours in.I am a little confused, am I supposed to print out everything from the online app and put it in a envelope or is my transcripts the only thing that needs to be sent through mail? Also did you have your letters of rec printed?
Hello! I just did the online app and LORs electronically. All I sent in the envelope were my transcripts since that is what Jon Erik told me to do when I asked what all went in the envelope. Hope this helps :)

Once I paid the fee, my app was sent in electronically. The same system sent out requests to each of my recommenders asking them for their LORs, which they sent electronically. I requested each of my transcripts for all my schools and they were all sent out directly to the school. I didn't send in an envelope.

Once I paid the fee, my app was sent in electronically. The same system sent out requests to each of my recommenders asking them for their LORs, which they sent electronically. I requested each of my transcripts for all my schools and they were all sent out directly to the school. I didn't send in an envelope.

Yes I did the same thing then saw it was supposed to be sent in an envelope and Jon Erik said it was fine and they had received all my transcripts

Hi everyone! Excited to be joining you all on the forums. I applied to Pacific as well and am EAGERLY awaiting interview invites. Jon-Erik mentioned that they may be going out early January. I'm interviewing at Rush as well and waiting to hear back from USC and St. Augustines.

Anyone heard back from Pacific yet?!

Hi! I applied Nov. 17th, and now that it is early January I am so anxious. How is everyone else doing?!

Hi! I applied Nov. 17th, and now that it is early January I am so anxious. How is everyone else doing?!
I am freaking out as well :) I applied 10/17 and Jon-Erik let me know that the first wave of interview invites would be going out at the beginning of January. I've pretty much been constantly refreshing my email. Good luck!

I am freaking out as well :) I applied 10/17 and Jon-Erik let me know that the first wave of interview invites would be going out at the beginning of January. I've pretty much been constantly refreshing my email. Good luck!
From looking at last year's timeline, it appears that notifications should be going out after the final deadline of 12 Jan. At least that's my guess. Certainly hope for the best and good luck to each and everyone applying!

Hi OTapp18!! Good luck to you! It is so stressful waiting! Let me know if you hear anything. I would love to connect :)

Hey all! I just received an interview invite email from Pacific this morning for 2/10/18.

Hey all! I just received an interview invite email from Pacific this morning for 2/10/18.
Thanks for the update....I hope I hear something soon! When did you submit your application?

Received an interview date for Feb 10th too!

Thanks for the update....I hope I hear something soon! When did you submit your application?
ALSO - CONGRATS!! I am clearly having anxiety and didn't say that :X Happy for you!

Received an interview date for Feb 10th too!
Congrats! I can only imagine the relief!! How early did you apply and who emailed you?

Last edited: