I actually went "house hunting" a few weeks ago and you guys will be relieved to know that they don't suggest looking for housing more than a month in advance. Since I'm assuming you guys are looking to rent, not buy anything haha. People moving out of their apartments usually only have to give a 30-day notice, so finding anything much earlier is difficult. Turn over for apartments is fast, and once you find something you like, it only takes a few days to get preapproved and sign the papers. The housing market in Portland is very aggressive so I suggest jumping on something before it gets taken by another group.
I can't remember because it was somewhat of a blur, but I swear Jon Erik said August 23rd was the start date when I spoke to him on the phone? But that's a Wednesday I believe so that could be very wrong.