Paid $1,000 Seat Deposit Towards Tuition. Could Post 9-11 GI Bill Reimburse Me the Difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After paying a hefty security deposit for a rental home in High COL Oregon ($2,095) for the start of my pharmacy program, a simple question crossed my mind:

Has anyone been in a situation of which you were accepted to a program and had your Post 9-11 GI Bill pay you back your security deposit that went towards your tuition? It never really crossed my mind since initially its simply securing a seat to the program, but in the end it goes towards my tuition. If I provided my financial aid award that includes $1,000 specifically for tuition, would this justify a reimbursement and recoup the cash?

Any experience or thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

It probably is counselor dependent. Whenever I had a question whether they would cover that, I asked politely. They would either say yes or no. I didn't have a security deposit to cover so I don't have that specific exo.

Reactions: 1 user
After paying a hefty security deposit for a rental home in High COL Oregon ($2,095) for the start of my pharmacy program, a simple question crossed my mind:

Has anyone been in a situation of which you were accepted to a program and had your Post 9-11 GI Bill pay you back your security deposit that went towards your tuition? It never really crossed my mind since initially its simply securing a seat to the program, but in the end it goes towards my tuition. If I provided my financial aid award that includes $1,000 specifically for tuition, would this justify a reimbursement and recoup the cash?

Any experience or thoughts on this?

This happened with me in college before switching to VRE. The bill that the school sent to the VA was the total of tuition and fees, not just what was left (i.e. tuition =$15k, paid $1k..... the bill to the VA was $15k, NOT $14k). That $1000 overpayment (relative to remaining balance) was paid back to me as reimbursement from the school, not the VA.

.......This is dependent on how the individual school bills - it would be a good idea to speak with the VA rep on campus and/or the bursar or financial aid (or both just to cover bases and get answers).

Members don't see this ad :)
This happened with me in college before switching to VRE. The bill that the school sent to the VA was the total of tuition and fees, not just what was left (i.e. tuition =$15k, paid $1k..... the bill to the VA was $15k, NOT $14k). That $1000 overpayment (relative to remaining balance) was paid back to me as reimbursement from the school, not the VA.

.......This is dependent on how the individual school bills - it would be a good idea to speak with the VA rep on campus and/or the bursar or financial aid (or both just to cover bases and get answers).

Excellent.

My plan was to speak to the certifying official of the university plus the financial aid help office (ie billing office).

I was just curious if it’s been done recently. Good to know

Just as an update for future viewers:

The certifying official stated I’d see a reimbursement no questions asked.

It seems to be common practice if your accepted in a yellow ribbon program or just the GI Bill in general (as long as you submit documents in a timely matter).