Paid blogging as a resident on medical related topics/drug use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic_90x

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if paid blogging in any way can be an issue as a resident, since as a physician giving opinions publicly is different? Not aware of anything on my contract that remotely suggests you can't do it, especially since the site is based in a neighboring country anyway. There's no mention of my institution in my writing, there's nothing to sell so obviously 0 endorsement of anything. And when talking about substance abuse, of course the position is fully against. Though it's mainly touching on the medical/physiological aspects and uses peer reviewed sources.

Any insight to this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unlikely to be an issue unless you’re a complete idiot about it. At worst, your institution may require you to include some disclaimer in your byline that your views are yours alone and do not represent your employer.

That said, if you are openly disparaging your institution you can definitely make trouble for yourself. If you’re a super strong well liked resident then it may not even be an issue; if not, it can bring down the hammer rather swiftly. Proceed with caution if you go that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Unlikely to be an issue unless you’re a complete idiot about it. At worst, your institution may require you to include some disclaimer in your byline that your views are yours alone and do not represent your employer.

That said, if you are openly disparaging your institution you can definitely make trouble for yourself. If you’re a super strong well liked resident then it may not even be an issue; if not, it can bring down the hammer rather swiftly. Proceed with caution if you go that way.

Thanks for your post.

So my institution is never mentioned on the site at all. The reader would never know I'm with X institution. They would have to really dig into my name online to find out where I'm a resident.

My only concern was if there are things to be cautious about when discussing medical topics online and if what i say is any different as a resident vs an attending legally speaking.

And when discussing the dangers of illegal substances, is there ever an issue? Like talking about how theyre sold on the black market etc in the scope of discussing all of the issues.

(Btw everything has a disclaimer that it's only for general education purposes)

This is only an issue if someone makes it an issue. If your program finds out and asks you to stop, you should stop. Otherwise, it doesn’t matter, do whatever.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I’m not a lawyer so not sure the exact ins and outs of your liability in doing this. Plenty of physicians blog and post in forums without any trouble so it isn’t a big deal for most. A disclaimer is a good thing and beyond that you just have to ensure that what you’re actually writing truly is just educational and not medical advice.

So discussing the dangers of illicit substance use would be educational but having an open dialog with someone about their own personal addiction issues and offering them individualized advice would probably stray more into the medical advice area. This is a big reason why mods here will immediately shut down any thread asking for individual medical advice. Asking about Med students’ use of X drug for studying is fine, but asking whether you personally should use X drug would get shut down ASAP. Just be aware of that line and you should be fine.

Make sure to place an appropriate disclaimer saying this is not medical advice. The legal system can find ways of screwing you in more ways than you can imagine.

I think my residency contract had a no moonlighting clause. Not sure if you have one but something to look into. My university faculty contract had one also. Any additional work had to be approved by them.

I think my residency contract had a no moonlighting clause. Not sure if you have one but something to look into. My university faculty contract had one also. Any additional work had to be approved by them.
Hmm, online blogging for a foreign country is considered moonlighting? It's not formal employment of any means.

Make sure to place an appropriate disclaimer saying this is not medical advice. The legal system can find ways of screwing you in more ways than you can imagine.
True, thanks. I'd imagine this is consistent as an attending too.

Hmm, online blogging for a foreign country is considered moonlighting? It's not formal employment of any means.
Formal employment? Informal employment? What does either mean? My contract said ANY employment must be approved by the university. I also said to look into it. I would get approval from OPs employer. Every contract is unique.