Paid residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebeyonder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am applying to dental school this year. I was interested in learning a little about the residencies available after dental school. I have a child and am married. I don't think I will be able to work during dental school. I have heard that dental residencies are not paid. Is this true? How does anyone with children manage to go without a paycheck for up to seven years while getting into debt? My wife and I are thinking of having another child, but with her being the only one bringing in a paycheck while I am at school, how does a married couple manage? Plus we are beginning to consider to buy a house, so many expenses...I just wanted to get some ideas from people in residencies that are/aren't married and how they financially provide for themselves.
Tim.

Members don't see this ad.

Tim,

The only specialty that I would consider (if I decide to pursue it) is oral surgery and I know they pay starting around 28-30K and end around 35-38K per year. One of my friends is going into the Endo program and he is going to get paid starting around 28K if I remember correctly. The overall consensus I have been hearing is that some dental schools will pay you while others will not.

And on a side note, your name (The Beyonder) keeps coming up in the Lounge and other sections as though you did something bad...hmmm, I'm curious as to what you wrote that ruffled a few feathers (if you care to answer)... :D

Racerdude

I think you have been given false information. All Dental General Practice Residencies are paid positions. They are usually done at a hospital dental clinic or at a dental school. HOWEVER, dental post graduate programs for specialities such as orthodontics, periodontics, endodontics, oral pathology and the like are not paid. They are post graduate SCHOOL. You pay tuition. But if you are interested in doing a 1-2 dental residency after school to enhance your general dental skills before going off on your own, you can expect to make about $25,000 - $45,000 / year depending on where you live. You can obtain how much each dental residency program in the US pays by calling the ADA in Chicago. They have a listing that they can mail to you. I hope this information helps.

I did my GPR (general practice residency) in NYC, NY and I made $41,500 annually.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that SOME schools have started allowing stipends for their students in the post graduate programs such as endo, perio etc. Most Pedodontic programs are paying students through stipends (which I think was to increase enrollment)since 1998. Oral surgery is considered a residency and not a post graduate program and they are paid similiar to the general practice residents. OK that's all.

Almost all of Oral Surgery programs pay a stipend and have no tuition, but if its a MD program you have to pay for two years of med school. Almost all Pediatric Dentistry programs also pay a stipend with no tuition. This is becuase they are hospital based. As for other programs Like perio, endo, ortho, and prostho they are clinical based. That doesnt mean you will have to pay for tuition and receive no stipend. I myself didnt have to pay tuition and got 13K my first year and 30K my second and third year. I am a resident at a private dental school in Periodontics. So it depends on the program. :D

Hi,
Thanks for the posts.
Racerdude I am anti-affirmative action and anti-reparations. Also, an asian student argued with me(consistently degrading me, without supporting his side of the issue). The asian student and I were arguing if it truly is harder for an asian to get into medical school as compared to a white. I consistently called people ignorant that claimed asians have a more difficult time entering schools than whites. I argued that the differences in gpa's and mcat scores did not differ significantly between asians and whites(numerous asians on the threads claimed that asians far outscored whites on both). I got a little carried away and got upset at a poster, due to his constant berating of me. Where did you see my name mentioned?
Tim.

Thebeyonder,
I also noticed your name being used in a slightly disdaining manner.
...i was kinda curious about your evil doings..

but THEN i actually read your "too many asians" thread..

:confused:

in maybe the 2nd or third post.. stinkytofu painted you as another selfish, mediocre student wanting "the admissions process to be skewed in your favor.."

by the end.. you not only proved stinkytofu correct... you also gave yourself a label of closet hate-monger with no self-control.
..i picture you as some CCC lifer or david duke wannabe.
i hope i'm wrong.

..its sad really.
i've never seen anyone..in any situation..that thoroughly pimped and browbeaten.

btw, what are your plans just in case u arent successful in gaining admission to dental school?
just curious.

Mr. So SO
I am interested in reading the post of all this drama. What is the subject called?
Just curious since I"m asian myself. I'd like to see what these people said.
Thahks
Beagle

Hi,
Mr So-So where did I ever claim that I wanted the admissions process to be skewed in my favor? I have claimed and will remain to claim that race should not be a determining factor in admissions policies? Didn't MLK Jr say that we should judge not on a person's skin color but on the content of their character? My wife is asian, she has read the too many asians post, and sees the point I was trying to make. I was saying that if a white person wants to see a white doctor then that person is deemed racist, however if a minority wants to see a minority doctor, then that is O.K. I don't think that is O.K. I can't become a minority, nor should I except to become a minority. The fact that Mr so-so implicitly belittles me in his posts, goes to so the weakness behind the pro-AA rheotric. It is the shot the messenger ideology. You attack me instead of attacking my principles. I would like an apology Mr So-So for your belittling of my character. I have never talked to you before, and I do not deserve to be belittled in such a way. Or will you continue to brow beat people that you feel you can get away with it with?
Tim.

People,
Please let's not fight. We are all mature adults here (I hope). I am an asian student and sometimes I don't think affirmative action fair. My friend (let's call him Mr. X) during our senior year in high school applied to UC santa barbara. Another friend let's call her Mrs. Y. Mr X is white and had about a 3.25 GPA and Mrs. Y was a mix of American indian/african american/white/ and I think mexican. She had a GPA of a 2.5 Guess who got into SB? Mrs Y did because of her ethnicity. I didn't think that was fair. If you were in Mr. X's shoes how would you feel? He worked a lot harder than her and it showed (although his wasn't all that great either for HS). Do you see the problem with this situation? We are taught out entire lives that skin color shouldn't be a factor and that it is who you are and not what you are that really counts. Does this situation illustrate what we have been taught? However, I do agree that many ethnicities are underrepresented in many schools. I also agree that many communities do need doctors, lawyers, professors, researchers and grad students that represent their community. Often times this means that these people are of your same ethnicity. There are two sides to every story and i hope that we are all open minded enough to see the other person' point of view (although we may not agree with every single one) and at least try to understand.

The beyonder,

What exactly did you say about "too many asians?" I was just curious.

Originally posted by Thebeyonder:

Hi,
Stinky Tofu, congratulations you have gotten under my skin finally like the annoying chigger you really are. I cannot understand why you constantly need to bring others down, perhaps you may want to try to bring others up. My personal opinion(not fact, but based on your continued slander of my character) is that you are an a**hole.
Sure I will meet you in New Haven, but not for sharing stats but to punch you in your arrogant face. I bet Stinky Tofu likes to belittle those he considers his intellectual inferiors(myself) because he is himself intellectually inferior(as am I). Stinky Tofu's half-a**ed attempts at wit are just that half-a**ed. Stinky Tofu wouldn't last two seconds with a real intellectual(myself not included, but rather any anglo more determined in duking it out with the likes of his trashy self). Get over it Stinky Tofu the stereotype that certain asians on this thread claim to exist(that asians are vastly superior than whites academically) has not even come close to the truth in reality and you and all your asian half-a**ed friends can't bear to face up to it.

Tim.•

Hi,
Stinky Tofu has taken that out of context. I started the asian thread, not because I am upset about there being a high number of asians in medical school, I could really care less, my wife is asian, I have nothing against asians, I started the thread to illustrate a point. Proponents of AA claim that a minority needs to see a minority doctor. When I posted Too many asians, I was asking, what if a white wanted to see a white doctor? People were incensed, calling me a racist, and thereby arguing in my favor, and in fact calling themselves racists.I have a problem with a person belittling me in an attempt to make me upset and say something that I later regretted and apologized for.Stinky Tofu-stop posting things written by me, stop mentioning me, because you are bordering on harassment. Please cease and desist immediately.
Tim.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beyonder - I provided a link to the posts for the readers to form their own opinions. I added no other opinions of my own. Maybe you should try doing the same next time instead of writing the "Beyond(er) Reason Manifesto". ;)

Hi,
Stinky Tofu- Please cease and desist.
This is harassment.
Is there a moderator here that can help me?
This is not something that should be continually tolerated.
Tim

Hi,
Stinky Tofu, please cease and desist all communications with me.
Thank you,
Tim.

Hi Tim,

I feel bad I even mentioned anything about your name being brought up...oophs. Sorry..I'll make sure to keep my posts in the future in this pre-dental forum only dental related next time... But to respond to your question, it was in the "Lobby" and "Eveyone" section where I saw your name, The Beyonder, brought up if I remember correctly, but I can't remember under which thread.

Racerdude

P.S. Hey StinkyTofu, which allied health profession are you in? Just wondering.

Originally posted by Thebeyonder:
•Hi,
Stinky Tofu- Please cease and desist.
This is harassment.
Is there a moderator here that can help me?
This is not something that should be continually tolerated.
Tim•

Racerdude:

Please cease and desist??? I think Beyonder's been reading too many militia handbooks. Perhaps he should delve into his own head because he might find that he was the one who mentioned my name first, initiated conversation with me, and invited me to talk to him in the chatroom. The only thing I did initially was to cut and paste one of his posts. Can you tell Beyond(er) to cease and desist communications with ME while I am having a conversation with you? ;)

P.S. I am currently a PGY-1 doing my transitional year at Yale.

Hi Stinky Tofu,

I'm staying neutral on this argument. Sorry, I don't want to take any sides--at least not here in the pre-dental forum. Just consider me a fly on the wall... :D

Racerdude

P.S. Oh yeah, what does PGY stand for?

Racerdude - I wasn't expecting you to get drawn into the argument. I was just having a little fun with Beyonder by not communicating directly with him. PGY stands for Post Graduate Year (from medical school). The first year of residency (internship) is also known as PGY-1. Anyway, I'll cease and desist from posting on this thread since it is the pre-dental forum. Take care and have fun in New York.

THIS IS WHAT THE PROFESSION HAS TO LOOK FORWARD TO?

Back to your original question reguarding the pay of residencies. Just a little assumption here, but assuming that you have kids and the family in East Hartford, I'd be guessing that the Hartford area GPR's or the UCONN residencies would be your desired choices. Here's a little info for you. The GPR's at St Francis(where I did my GPR) and Hartford Hospital both pay just over 40,000 this year. That also goes for the UCONN oral surgery program(you get paid years 1,4,5,6 and pay moore med school years 2 and 3)The UCONN AEGD pays about 20,000 and a little less for the endo, pedo, and prosth residencies. For the ortho residency(my wife's alma matter)you pay 4 to 5 grand the 1st 2 years and then receive a 10,000 stipend payable in 12 payments of $833 during your 3rd year.

Hope that may answer one or two of your original questions

Hi,
Dr Jeff you have been extremely helpful.
What is an AEGD?
Tim.

Hi,
On a side note, is it possible to do extra work in the residencies such that you could finish early?
Tim.

Okay, here are the words behind the various abreviations for residencies. AEGD stands for Advanced Education in General Dentistry, and GPR stands for General Practice Residency. Both are general dentistry residencies. The "rough" or classical difference between the 2 is that the GPR is classically a hospital based program with more of a medical/medically comppromised patient treatment basis. The AEGD is traditionally a dental school based program and is classically a bit less medically orientated. That said, the trend nowadays is for less of a difference between the GPR's and AEGD's.(My program director in my GPR was involved in the national accreditation(sp?) process for GPR's and was speaking in the near future of the possibilty of combining GPR's and AEGD's to create a broad nationwide term of a GDR (general dentistry residency). Who knows.

As for the possibilty of finishing a residency early, basically nope. When entering a residency you sign a contract that has you employed from July 1st through June 30th of the following year(or years if its a multi-year program).