PAID VS UNPAID RESEARCH POSITION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc2000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am applying this cycle and have the option of joining a paid vs unpaid research position. I am not worried about the pay too much as it is going to be minimal. But my question is, do ad coms look at paid vs unpaid positions differently? And how Could this affect my app?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For reference, this is going to be the only research position on my app.

Doesn’t matter. Like, at all.

Do whichever one you think does more interesting work or, if you need the money, do that one.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Research is research. You’re only asked to distinguish paid vs. unpaid medical/clinical experiences on your primary app.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
So I am applying this cycle and have the option of joining a paid vs unpaid research position. I am not worried about the pay too much as it is going to be minimal. But my question is, do ad coms look at paid vs unpaid positions differently? And how Could this affect my app?

Thanks!
Paid positions have more accountability. If you don't function with a certain level of responsibility and commitment, they can ask you to leave. OTOH, they can ask you to perform lower-level boring tasks and you can't say no. If you volunteer, you can (ideally) ask for fewer hours during test weeks so you can study, and you might get more choice over what they use you for.

In the end, I don't think it makes enough of a difference for an entry-level undergrad position for you to worry about it.

Reactions: 3 users
No but I would take the paid research position because...money.

Reactions: 1 users
Do the one that’s more likely to get you a publication

Reactions: 1 user
You can always use incentive to drive motivation. Money can be that incentive. Plus applying is expensive.

Paid positions have more accountability. If you don't function with a certain level of responsibility and commitment, they can ask you to leave. OTOH, they can ask you to perform lower-level boring tasks and you can't say no. If you volunteer, you can (ideally) ask for fewer hours during test weeks so you can study, and you might get more choice over what they use you for.

In the end, I don't think it makes enough of a difference for an entry-level undergrad position for you to worry about it.

This. Paid positions I had were often very managerial and I had a lot of responsibilities outside of the actual research like financial management of grants, requisitions, recruitment, etc. Which meant less time to work directly on projects.

Last edited:
This. Paid positions I had were often very managerial and I had a lot of responsibilities outside of the actual research like financial management of grants, requisitions, recruitment, etc. Which meant less tile to work directly on projects.

my unpaid research was mostly doing grunt work that paid researchers didn't have time to do nor wanted to do. It was awful. With paid research, I found myself more involved with different parts of research. You get to learn all sides of it and since this is OPs only research experience, I think it would be better off going the paid route.

It all depends on what type of research we're talking about. I conduct clinical research and am a Research Assistant. I deal directly with patients, have more expectations, hence allowing me to do more, and don't feel like an outsider just filling in time in that specific department.

my unpaid research was mostly doing grunt work that paid researchers didn't have time to do nor wanted to do. It was awful. With paid research, I found myself more involved with different parts of research. You get to learn all sides of it and since this is OPs only research experience, I think it would be better off going the paid route.

It all depends on what type of research we're talking about. I conduct clinical research and am a Research Assistant. I deal directly with patients, have more expectations, hence allowing me to do more, and don't feel like an outsider just filling in time in that specific department.

That’s a good point. The paid positions are where I learned to do grant apps and IRBs effectively. And now that I think about it, learned a lot of long term skills that really set me up in executing independent projects.

My comment was more directed to the fact that it is OPs only experience, and having something to show for it may be more important than skills at this time. I was doing research as an RA for two years before going to lab manager and research coordinator. If I was applying to med school and just wanted productivity (ie papers) I would go the unpaid route. Get assigned a specific project, put in the work, get some author cred.