Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

paid vs volunteer research

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by korndoctor, Jul 25, 2006.

1. korndoctor

korndoctor Member

i'm working full time in the summer in a lab for pay. however, during the school year, i want to volunteer in the same lab because i will probably only do 10 hours a week and the pay sucks, so it doesn't matter to me. my question is: could i also list this research experience under volunteering on the amcas? has other people done this before?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member

Medical Student
    if you can get paid, i don't see why you wouldn't want to.. is your reasoning that you want to look liek you're worknig not for the money, but for the experience itself? i doubt adcoms will think "oo he went from pay to volunteering. must be a good kid!"

just take the damn money! even if its like 7 bucks an hour thats 70 dollars for your weekend booze.

4. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    but sometimes (at small schools) the grants are only valid for during the summer and they run out

see if you can get the research for credit (like an independent study, even if its just 1 credit it looks more meaningful than getting nada)

professors dont mind if their kids are only washing glassware if its volunteer, but they tend to be more on things when youre getting some sort of payment

5. korndoctor

korndoctor Member

yeah i hear what you're saying, but the summer is different since i was working over 40 hours a week in the lab. i'm asking if it's advisable to volunteer in the same lab during the academic school year because i don't have any volunteer hours as of now being a upcomming sophomore (i'm trying to volunteer at a nearby hospital too).