pain fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wood

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone do a pain fellowship after having completed internal medicine as a residency?

Members don't see this ad.

according to the new July 2007 ACGME pain medicine fellowship guidelines, as long as you complete ANY ACGME accredited residency, you can do a pain medicine fellowship and sit for the pain boards. I don't know if people realize this yet.

wood said:
can someone do a pain fellowship after having completed internal medicine as a residency?

I'd like to see an general internist put in an IV or suture up a lac before letting them into the club.....I have many internists as friends, all of them went into int med because they hate procedures. I mean, FPs can suture better than internists..... :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ligament said:
according to the new July 2007 ACGME pain medicine fellowship guidelines, as long as you complete ANY ACGME accredited residency, you can do a pain medicine fellowship and sit for the pain boards. I don't know if people realize this yet.

And who is going to confer the subspecialty certifications for those outside of Gas, PM&R, Neurology or Psyche?

Disciple said:
And who is going to confer the subspecialty certifications for those outside of Gas, PM&R, Neurology or Psyche?

I personally know of *TWO* FP's who were able to land ACGME-accredited anesthesia-based pain fellowships and then petitioned, and were granted, permission to sit for the Pain Medicine certification examination sponsored through...the ABPM&R...

2005 Pain Medicine Subspecialty Examination Results

In September 10, 2005, the American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) administered the Pain Medicine subspecialty examination to 173 candidates who applied through the ABPMR. Of the 166 physicians with primary certication through the ABPMR, 121 (73%) passed the examination. The number of candidates with a passing score also includes six physicians with primary certication in a specialty other than PM&R, as follows:

• 3 by the American Board of Family Medicine
(ABFM)
• 1 by the American Board of Internal Medicine
(ABIM)
• 1 by the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP)
• 1 by the American Board of Preventive Medicine
(ABPM)

Since the First examination in 2000, 1,002 physicians have been certified in Pain Medicine.

ABPM&R Newsletter

Maybe you can explain the logic to me here,

The IM and FP boards don't consider pain medicine important enough to add it to their list of subspecialties and confer the added qualifications themselves, but they will allow other unrelated primary specialty boards do it.

Maybe we should petition to get Sports Med Certification from their boards.

Disciple said:
Maybe we should petition to get Sports Med Certification from their boards.

My understanding is that the ABPM&R shot itself in the foot on that issue over a decade ago. The board had the opportunity to join Peds and FP in sponsoring a non-surgical sports medicine sub-specialty, but apparently the consensus at the time was that, as a specialty, PM&R training encompassed and subsumed sports medicine training so a sub-specialty would be redundant. Well, since then FP joined Peds and ER and primary care sports medicine has really flourished as a multidisciplinary sub-specialty and PM&R is still trying to put the wheels back on the bus and, more importantly, not sitting at the table.

drusso said:
My understanding is that the ABPM&R shot itself in the foot on that issue over a decade ago. The board had the opportunity to join Peds and FP in sponsoring a non-surgical sports medicine sub-specialty, but apparently the consensus at the time was that, as a specialty, PM&R training encompassed and subsumed sports medicine training so a sub-specialty would be redundant. Well, since then FP joined Peds and ER and primary care sports medicine has really flourished as a multidisciplinary sub-specialty and PM&R is still trying to put the wheels back on the bus and, more importantly, not sitting at the table.

Why does it seem like this is always the story with PM&R. Whether it is with pain or spine or sports or musculoskeletal we seem to be behind the 8-ball. I wonder if it reflects tunnel vision or a fundamental conflict between the rehabilitation roots of PM&R's leadership over time and the physical medicine interests of most future physiatrists.

drusso said:

With what you've stated above, then the whole pain boards fiasco with only a few PM&R pain fellowships and certifying those from other specialties,

Any idea on how to get involved? Like many others, I just graduated and have no credibility. With PASSOR being disbanded, where will our representation come from?

It's too early to become jaded, but my faith in the leadership is already starting to waver.

drusso said:
Paz, congratulations on your Elkin's Award...

Elkins? HA! I am going for whatever the physiatric equivalent of p=MD would be (p=DABPM?)

lobelsteve said:
Elkins? I thought you had to at least pass.

I'm sorry, did I miss it when Dr. Steve won HIS Elkins?

Oh wait, I forgot, he just THINKS he is that smart! :p

Im betting in 5-10 years pain will be a separate residency. just out of curiousity drusso, the two FP folks you mentioned, what were there interests? interventional pain? where did he/she train? What is your opinion re: the anesthesia run programs perspective on this- as far as preferred backgound etc? Example is it likely that in general the anesthesia & Physiatry people will likely have an edge vs. the neuro/psych, etc. How did an FP score an anesthesia based pain fellowship? Something in his/her background? luck? timing? thanks

We do have an absurd system in encouraging those without background in an area, to virtually become a doctor in a particular discipline in one year. Perhaps we should simply open the pain fellowships to CRNAs and teach them everything they need to know in one year.
Can't be that difficult of a profession if we believe one year of training is sufficient to permit people to perform surgery on the spines of patients. Is it?

The board has been talking about it for a couple of years now and apparently they intend to in the near future.

The question is why? (The real reason that is.)

Membership is strong right now.

Maybe they feel they have enough clout/numbers to influence the AAPMR general membership?

How do you guys feel about interventional radiologists doing pain medicine fellowships?