You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How bad is it for pain fellowships?
Started by masterPain
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
CRNAs mostly (or are they synonymous)I'd normally say good for us in the next 5-10 years but unfortunately any benefit will be wiped away by APPs.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We're in a cyclical squeeze right now.
It's terrible, and it will get worse. Ten years from now, it will be very, very good again.
It's terrible, and it will get worse. Ten years from now, it will be very, very good again.
I would imagine ALL fellowships are struggling right now not just pain.
We're in a cyclical squeeze right now.
It's terrible, and it will get worse. Ten years from now, it will be very, very good again.
How bad is it?
Interesting. How long have you been practicing pain medicine?My personal standpoint regarding what the landscape of pain medicine is like, if you love what you do, strive to improve your skills continuously, and get results for your patients (and employer) you will always have a place in pain medicine.
$hadow
Full Member
Interesting. How long have you been practicing pain medicine?
I haven’t, I’m still a student... I’m just a optimist I guess.
Last edited:
Nice. Just making sure. I am just a resident but I am also optimistic and excited about pain
I think the most important thing for future docs to focus on is fighting mid level scope creep and pay parity. If current med students and residents don’t realize the threat this poses there will be very few desirable jobs for any of them in the next 5-10 yrs. Unfortunately I Think the nursing lobby is much more powerful and outspoken. It’s time to get involved
What makes you think it will be very, very good again in 10 years?We're in a cyclical squeeze right now.
It's terrible, and it will get worse. Ten years from now, it will be very, very good again.
$hadow
Full Member
I think the most important thing for future docs to focus on is fighting mid level scope creep and pay parity. If current med students and residents don’t realize the threat this poses there will be very few desirable jobs for any of them in the next yrs. Unfortunately I Think the nursing lobby is much more powerful and outspoken. It’s time to get involved
How would “fight” look at a professional level?
Sorry for my ignorance but I’m not from the American system, but want to be trained in the US, so I need to understand how this will look in reality.
Last edited:
Be familiar with the legislation being passed at the state level, that’s how they gain footholds. Also get very involved in your specialty societiesHow would “fight” look at a professional level?
Sorry for my ignorance but I’m not from the American system, but want to be trained in the US, so I need to understand how this will look in reality.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Poor kid doesn’t get it yetI haven’t, I’m still a student... I’m just an optimist I guess.
We’re so weak in this regard it’s not even funnyI think the most important thing for future docs to focus on is fighting mid level scope creep and pay parity. If current med students and residents don’t realize the threat this poses there will be very few desirable jobs for any of them in the next 5-10 yrs. Unfortunately I Think the nursing lobby is much more powerful and outspoken. It’s time to get involved
Last edited:
What makes you think it will be very, very good again in 10 years?
Physics.
Good and bad is relative. I don’t expect the fee schedule to improve much. Office visits with g2211 seem more than fairly compensated.
$hadow
Full Member
Be familiar with the legislation being passed at the state level, that’s how they gain footholds. Also get very involved in your specialty societies
Awesome, thank you.
Poor kid doesn’t get it yet
Only one way to find out, right?!
Last edited:
You probably can't see it, but whatever app you're using to access SDN has a problem interfacing with Sdn correctly. As such, most of your posts are 3000 characters of random emoji code with 200 characters of actual text.Awesome, thank you.
Only one way to find out, right?!
Fwiw, admin is aware of this issue. Use a web browser to post instead to avoid this.
$hadow
Full Member
Yeah, I just saw it when I logged in, thank you I will use the web browser from now on.You probably can't see it, but whatever app you're using to access SDN has a problem interfacing with Sdn correctly. As such, most of your posts are 3000 characters of random emoji code with 200 characters of actual text.
Fwiw, admin is aware of this issue. Use a web browser to post instead to avoid this.
Last cycle applicants down 30%, many unfilled programs. Most people with a pulse could scramble for a spot.I am hearing there were a bunch of unfilled positions last cycle?
Are applications way down this cycle?
Expecting similar this year, don't know #s yet.
This will get worse and be bloody.Last cycle applicants down 30%, many unfilled programs. Most people with a pulse could scramble for a spot.
Expecting similar this year, don't know #s yet.
This will get worse and be bloody.
The field will likely be full of a varying quality of refugees trying to escape their primary specialty.
Dear PDs
Please stop accepting fellows you wouldn’t want to call colleagues or perform epidurals on your friends and family
Please stop accepting fellows you wouldn’t want to call colleagues or perform epidurals on your friends and family
You know what will fill the fellowships again and get everybody excited to be pain docs? 2 year fellowships! Once again, the KOLs here with their key opinions to save the day. 🤣
www.linkedin.com
Why Pain Medicine Fellowships Need to Change | Scott Pritzlaff MD posted on the topic | LinkedIn
🚨Are We Really Preparing Fellows for Chronic Pain?🚨 https://lnkd.in/dRzPFstH Too often, Pain Medicine fellowships are stuck in an acute care mindset— packed with procedures but too short to teach what matters for patients with chronic pain. 🕒 Chronic pain isn't solved in 12 months. 🧩...
Grandfather me into something valuable. The higher the barrier the more opportunity cost.You know what will fill the fellowships again and get everybody excited to be pain docs? 2 year fellowships! Once again, the KOLs here with their key opinions to save the day. 🤣
![]()
Why Pain Medicine Fellowships Need to Change | Scott Pritzlaff MD posted on the topic | LinkedIn
🚨Are We Really Preparing Fellows for Chronic Pain?🚨 https://lnkd.in/dRzPFstH Too often, Pain Medicine fellowships are stuck in an acute care mindset— packed with procedures but too short to teach what matters for patients with chronic pain. 🕒 Chronic pain isn't solved in 12 months. 🧩...www.linkedin.com
Also cut fellowship spots and defend the scope of practice
I agree, but the incentive is too high for many academic programs - cheap labor.Dear PDs
Please stop accepting fellows you wouldn’t want to call colleagues or perform epidurals on your friends and family
As an update, I got a look at #s and applications are down more this year, so about 50% compared to a few years ago.
Anesthesia market remains on fire. My guess is that it will likely stay that way for some time as well. Aside from the current demand for anesthesiologists, you've also got the CRNAs out there that have pushed for absurd salaries. It's getting to the point where hospitals are seeing the choice between paying a CRNA 400k+ to work no call and with supervision, or paying 550k+ but getting someone who takes call and is, you know, an actual doctor.I agree, but the incentive is too high for many academic programs - cheap labor.
As an update, I got a look at #s and applications are down more this year, so about 50% compared to a few years ago.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You know what will fill the fellowships again and get everybody excited to be pain docs? 2 year fellowships! Once again, the KOLs here with their key opinions to save the day. 🤣
![]()
Why Pain Medicine Fellowships Need to Change | Scott Pritzlaff MD posted on the topic | LinkedIn
🚨Are We Really Preparing Fellows for Chronic Pain?🚨 https://lnkd.in/dRzPFstH Too often, Pain Medicine fellowships are stuck in an acute care mindset— packed with procedures but too short to teach what matters for patients with chronic pain. 🕒 Chronic pain isn't solved in 12 months. 🧩...www.linkedin.com
IDK man, now that I'm done with pain, if they make pain 2 years, itll reduce the supply of pain docs which can have the benefit of more patients, more money.Grandfather me into something valuable. The higher the barrier the more opportunity cost.
Also cut fellowship spots and defend the scope of practice
not srs.
It would reduce the number of people going into acgme pain for sure. Many people would do unaccredited training since everyone wants to do spine injections…IDK man, now that I'm done with pain, if they make pain 2 years, itll reduce the supply of pain docs which can have the benefit of more patients, more money.
not srs.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 432