Pain Medicine is an Official Subspecialty of Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In theory, I understand wanting to supplement one's income with ED shifts as a pain attending while your practice is ramping up in HOPD vs PP setting. But after the first year (max after the second year) out as a full-time pain attending doesn't it net more to one's bottom line to work more in a pain setting? Whether this is working an extra day, becoming more efficient, offering more advanced procedures. BTW my assumptions are made on non anesthesia-interventional pain MGMA avgs and how most jobs are advertised that share what they are paying.
It can be hard and take a while to get a full patient panel, especially if you're in a saturated market and/or starting from scratch. But yes once you're full or nearly full, more Pain = more gain$.

It's a misconception that EM has the best hourly comp. My colleague who has several years on me is bringing in like 1000 RVU/month working 35 hours per week including an hour lunch break each day for the staff. The typical RVU conversion for most jobs is like $60-70/RVU so you do the math. This is the hospital employed (HOPD) model. Private practice is paid on collections and is somewhat different. It's fairly easy to see 4 patients per hour in a well run clinic, he sees 5-6 per hour. Couple caveats, he is exceptionally productive and is faster/looser with opioids than I'd like to be but to each their own.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It can be hard and take a while to get a full patient panel, especially if you're in a saturated market and/or starting from scratch. But yes once you're full or nearly full, more Pain = more gain$.

It's a misconception that EM has the best hourly comp. My colleague who has several years on me is bringing in like 1000 RVU/month working 35 hours per week including an hour lunch break each day for the staff. The typical RVU conversion for most jobs is like $60-70/RVU so you do the math. This is the hospital employed (HOPD) model. Private practice is paid on collections and is somewhat different. It's fairly easy to see 4 patients per hour in a well run clinic, he sees 5-6 per hour. Couple caveats, he is exceptionally productive and is faster/looser with opioids than I'd like to be but to each their own.
Thanks for the detailed response.

Patients per hour is incredibly dependent on major referral source. Spine surgeon referrals for procedure take 10 minutes for a 99204. Undifferentiated referrals from PCPs take much, much longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 12.06.16 PM.png

Got this in a mass email from ABEM this morning. If I'm reading this correctly, only 36 ABEM-boarded docs are subspecialty boarded in pain medicine. It's a bold new frontier for EM & pain medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How are the current fellows enjoying it? I'm finding I'm liking Pain more than I anticipated I would; helps that probably only 1% of our patients are on opiates and it's a highly procedurally driven fellowship. Fluoroscopic images are a bit challenging to learn (much like looking at ultrasound for the first time). I do miss some aspects of EM (thinking about all of the organ systems, etc) so am debating moonlighting or perhaps a 4 day pain 1 day EM split in the future, assuming I could pick my shift. In any case this definitely seems like a sustainable option for those coming from EM

Reactions: 5 users
How are the current fellows enjoying it? I'm finding I'm liking Pain more than I anticipated I would; helps that probably only 1% of our patients are on opiates and it's a highly procedurally driven fellowship. Fluoroscopic images are a bit challenging to learn (much like looking at ultrasound for the first time). I do miss some aspects of EM (thinking about all of the organ systems, etc) so am debating moonlighting or perhaps a 4 day pain 1 day EM split in the future, assuming I could pick my shift. In any case this definitely seems like a sustainable option for those coming from EM
Massively enjoying it. I would say that this fellowship is maybe 30% of the mental and physical effort as compared with my ED job. That's just an unexpected bonus though as I'm enjoying the work quite a bit. Definitely have more COT than you, but those patients honestly aren't that bad and we have a hard cap of 45 mme, so it isn't crazy doses. The procedures are also good and we get a lot of autonomy to more or less fly solo after you've done a few of them, with the attending around to give guidance if needed.

Reactions: 6 users

Similar story here. Thought I would like pain and really enjoyed the first month of fellowship. We are also a highly procedural fellowship without much medical management so that may skew my opinion (although I honestly wish I had more med management exposure). Curious how feasible the 4/1 pain EM week is. That is appealing to me as well but not sure if it's possible without that one EM day being an undesirable shift.

Reactions: 1 user
Similar story here. Thought I would like pain and really enjoyed the first month of fellowship. We are also a highly procedural fellowship without much medical management so that may skew my opinion (although I honestly wish I had more med management exposure). Curious how feasible the 4/1 pain EM week is. That is appealing to me as well but not sure if it's possible without that one EM day being an undesirable shift.
I have that setup, not by design but that's how it's worked out as it's taken a bit to ramp up to having a 100% full pain practice. I'm in a hospital employed position with a pretty relaxed administration that lets me more or less pick my schedule as long as I'm productive. I've heard of some private practice jobs allowing less than a full 5 days too. It all depends on your boss. My EM shifts (other hospital system) are Fridays through Sundays 7a-11p, 2-3 per month, so not the best but not the worst ones.

I wonder as well, although anesthesia people do it.
I have that setup, not by design but that's how it's worked out as it's taken a bit to ramp up to having a 100% full pain practice. I'm in a hospital employed position with a pretty relaxed administration that lets me more or less pick my schedule as long as I'm productive. I've heard of some private practice jobs allowing less than a full 5 days too. It all depends on your boss. My EM shifts (other hospital system) are Fridays through Sundays 7a-11p, 2-3 per month, so not the best but not the worst ones.
and I guess you could potentially sell it as being a source for referrals :)

Fellowship is good so far. Hospital call is very relaxed. Clinic days are very chill (we have residents that work with us that help carry the load). The staff have all been very nice and supportive.

It's been cool to be able to jump in and do procedures with little to no experience in week two (ILESI, MBBs, MILD, peripheral nerve stimulators).

So far, so good.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm enjoying a sports medicine rotation a lot more than I thought. The non-operative orthopedics part is interesting, and the patient population is different enough to make it intriguing.

The sports medicine docs I'm working with are quite impressive with their MSK ultrasound skills and how they use it in real-time to make diagnoses. I'm very curious about incorporating some of this stuff into my practice.

I'm enjoying a sports medicine rotation a lot more than I thought. The non-operative orthopedics part is interesting, and the patient population is different enough to make it intriguing.

The sports medicine docs I'm working with are quite impressive with their MSK ultrasound skills and how they use it in real-time to make diagnoses. I'm very curious about incorporating some of this stuff into my practice.
Sure, if you don’t want to make any money.

Yeah, that's sorta the problem with a bunch of pain procedures, including lots of sports med US procedures. Some of it might be helpful for the patient, but are so poorly reimbursed as to make them rarely worthwhile.
Expand that to outpatient procedures in general.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you cofellows applying for jobs already? Apparently it’s already time to start looking. Planning on doing full time pain or a hybrid of ER?

Are you cofellows applying for jobs already? Apparently it’s already time to start looking. Planning on doing full time pain or a hybrid of ER?
My co-fellow is currently applying. I've personally reached out to some jobs but usually for geographic reasons i've hesitated to interview. In the bigger cities in my state when I google jobs, I usually have to go through a recruiter-which I dislike going through. So i've been trying to find these practices online but then can't find contact information for them-it's a mess. Does anyone have any other ideas for finding jobs-i've tried google, practice link, gasworks, cold calling, reaching out to hospitals that I've been previously affiliated with, and some word of mouth from my program. In general, I am trying to be more thoughtful/more picky about picking a job then i've been in the past with my EM gigs.

I'm emailing a couple of connected people in my Rolodex next week to let them know I'm looking and see if they have any leads or can put me in touch with people who do (dept chairs, private offices, whatever).

So i've been trying to find these practices online but then can't find contact information for them-it's a mess.

I'm not in pain, but for larger hospital systems, try searching on LinkedIn for "[health system] recruiter". You can also search on google for other job postings in any specialty within that health system--often the recruiter will list their direct contact information and then they can direct you to the right person if it's not them. You could also try to find an email/phone for their HR department. Worst case scenario if it's a small place, you can just cold call the office, ask to speak with the practice manager, and then have them give you the information of their recruiting/HR person.

Basically, you just need a way to get a hold of one live person who knows enough to direct you in the right direction.

I just heard Pain was a weak match this year with significant unfilled spots at good programs. It may not be so hard to get into, as it used to be.

Anyone looking to scramble into a spot, it’s time to act.

It looks like a hot anesthesia market is keeping anesthesia Pain applicant numbers down.

This is not first hand knowledge, just something I heard.

Reactions: 1 users
The time is now if you're thinking about a pain fellowship.

About 40 programs did not fill (out of ~108 total).

You can likely generate genuine interest with a thoughtfully worded e-mail + your CV sent out to...really, any program you'd entertain going to.

palpatine-star-wars.gif

Yep, it's provocative and I said it. And I stand by it.

Last year ago, it was, "EM even applying to Pain is BANANALAND."

Now it's, "EM should apply to Pain. But saying EM applicants are better is BANANALAND."

That's perfect. I may convince no one, that EM applicants are better suited to a Pain fellowship. But if I even convince a few to go from, "EM can't do Pain," to, "EM should apply to Pain," then I've moved the needle of persuasion in the desired direction, by getting you to think past the sale. Then more EM applicants apply, more get in, more get on faculty, on fellowship admission committees, and the odds for the next round of EM applicants increase. Repeat.
Hey I am a PGY-1 and want to persue PAIN after residency. I wanted to know what should be done to increase my chances to get in and there are most programs who haven’t mentioned EM residency in their requirements does that mean they dont hire EM for pain ?

Do a pain rotation, find a pain mentor, try to get involved with a pain research project, show interest in the field. The more you can do of the above, the better you will be.

Just because they don't mention EM does not mean they won't take an EM grad. I'm the first EM fellow at my program, no mention of EM anywhere on their website.

Hey I am a PGY-1 and want to persue PAIN after residency. I wanted to know what should be done to increase my chances to get in and there are most programs who haven’t mentioned EM residency in their requirements does that mean they dont hire EM for pain ?
Like @painER said above, the most important thing to do is to arrange a Pain rotation, at least one month, preferably two. If you do that, the gap between an Anesthesia and EM applicant is greatly narrowed.

Other than that, perform well as a resident, study for exams, and do as much things pain related as possible. There is more crossover between EM and Pain than you think. Research never hurts.

Whether a program mentions EM is irrelevant. They may not have updated their website. Some may not have gotten any EM applicants before. Also, the "EM friendliness" is iprossible to assess and even if it wasn't, it can change year to year based on who is interviewing, the strength of the application year and other factors.

Apply to all 110 ACGME programs, those in the Match and those not in the match. Use numbers and statistical probabilities to your advantage. Check what programs didn't fill. Sometimes good programs have an off year and you may sneak into a solid program that way.