pak.. dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fafooden

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi lets join hands together to discuss and understand problems of the dentistry in pakistan. what do we need and what we dont, what are the horizons of the dentistry in pakistan and what are the suggetions and certianly the upcoming cOnFeReNcE in islamabad what s going on in dentistry

any baqais, dmontarians, L.M.D.C. or khayber, ayubians, everyone is invited in here say what u want to

what is ur opinion regarding anything happening there in pakistan

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi fafooden

this is nice that someone actually started this thread.
Being a Demontarianian and now comming to US i had so many problems and little or no help. To my surprise like indian people there r not of pakistani dentist comming to US .I saw a thread in internationa dentist progrmm and no one repled to that.

There is no guidance for the people comming to US
Our exam pattern is essay question type which is of no use here
we r not use to MCQ , No one knows how much score is safe to get the admission. No guidence which books to study . So we need to do something about this.

OKay comming to ur questions
What do u mean by problems in dentistry? i enjoyed studying in my college we had a good pool of patients, good teachers and not a really big class so i actually missed what u mean by the problems.
The only thing i have problem with is that the Private colleges i actually worked as a demostrator in one of thoes places and i was disappointed with the quality of eduation and work and the attitude of the people there and i dont blame PMDC for not recognizing them . I had a first hand experince with these places and i know its just the game of money and What ever attitude.

Another thing is that a very litter % of people want to do post grad and i dont understad y This really needs to change

ali99

nice to see a reply by a pakistani dentist in Us i hope u will be a real help to the new students. i wud like to invite other dentists aswell as students to come and join

as far regards the thing the problems in dentistry... i think the biggest is the politics around there in the teachers and secondly despite of a lot of patients and a lot of qouta there in demont threr is not much guidence. u r learning more wiht a trial and error method nad less with guidence. the work load is so much that the teachers cant pay much attention to the work by students. i think we see a lot of pathologies in the patients but no one is there to tell u that how should u diagnose. :confused:

as far regards the problems in the private colleges i think gov. should pay attention to the standars of the colleges. this is a duty of PMDC but they r not fulfilling it absolutely. Again politics....they r now getting reallly good teachers by offering tem handsome pays even the professors. Certianly they go and join especially the ones who cant cope with the politics in gov. colleges. but the inspite of all this, pvt. colleges dont have the facilities to supply each and evrything to the students:cofused:

Now the MCQ problem.. as u may know that all the provincial gov. have made MCAT copulsory for admissions. i think that is a good step
:clap:
Now in Punjab a new uniersuty has started working that will take the exams inMCQs. this is good but the standards and impartiality wud be the keys to sucess which i cant see in the near future.
transmit the germs to ur pt. that u want ur pt. to transmit to u

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

Well u r some what right about the Polilitical situation, its a mess i thought it is going to be better after they made few changes in Demont but i have heard that it is the same.
U r absoloutily right about the fact that there is not much guidance but in my experience u have to push for it. What i mean is if u want to learn u have to go to ur demostrator again and again they dont like it but u have to keep on pushing , There r people who never did there quota but still went through , if u have to do it u need to LOWER u self and just go behinde everyone and ask everyone who seems to know anything. It is sad but that is the way it is.

I didnt know anything about the new univ who is going to take MCQs thats going to be nice. And that is going to help people going for Master in other countries .

Every college has there pro and cons And so is Demont

Pro : Amazing city to live in
King edward college to study in for the first 2 years
Not expensive
Good patient pool
more opputunities once u graduate
It is easire to get a post graduate postition if u studied at the same place.

CONS ; Politics
Bad hostal , Not a good localility
Have to make ur self stand out in order to get help
No personal attention
Relay more on House Job people to teach u.Or the technisions
Most of the time if u have to finish the quota u need to buy ur own matieral
No concept of ur own protection, no gloves or mask .Need to buy ur own.
Less chairs avalible so 2-3 people have to work on the same chair and working hours r not that long ( heard it has improved)

But i would still think it is better that many other colleges esp the private ones where u have to pay a large amount of money and then in most cases have to bring ur own pt , staff is not highly quilafied.
I disagree from u here Fafooden :( Even though most of these colleges r offering the handsome pay but still most of the Professors prefer the govt college or do a part time job in the private colleges the reason is that they really dont have to do much , enjoy the govt facalities and on top of that they get the pt from the college/hospital they pass around their private practice card to anyone who can afford them. And then the private colleges dont usually need to have the Professors there full time . I knew 2 of the professors they were teaching is colleges in ISB and they use to go there once a week so it is more like a contract thing but i am sure they pay them a lot cuz they r using there name for the promotion of the college and then they might help the college getting the recognition from PMDC. DO i make sense :confused:

So what r the pro and cons of ur college.

thnx bond for joining u r very right in many points if u talk of the good things they r many in demont the point is that we need to work really hard here in demont. u r again very right that u have to lean urself to bottom and run after teachers to get guidence whether it be department but prosthetics especially.

as fsr regards the studies when u r in KE u get really good and regular classes but the demont classes r very uncertian, u never know if u will have the class or not.

during clinical work sterliztion is anohter major problem i hav heard that in surgery and sug 1 his problem has been sorted out quite successfully... there r now gloves and drapes and no dandi of ster. can be made.. i think ster. is not just the matter of one deptt. it is an issue of all the deptt. infact the whole nation.

these problems the problems of the hostel r of and on looked into by the authorities but no no concrete solution is eing sorted out. they just take some temporary measyres and that is it....what is the actual reason nobody knows....

yes there is now a new univ. founded in sheikh zaid hsp. all the medical and dental colleges of punjab except KE and FJ are now affiliated to this univ. the students of all colleges have resisted the decision saying that it is an unrecognized univ. and no standin as compared to PU. they even went to court but to no use. the students refused to take the exam and protested... but no faculty member was in their favour due to political pressure by the gov. so they r now boud to get that degree. i think now the court decision has been declared and the univ. is now working.

well inspite of all the problems and attitude problems of the teachers and evrybody i think we should also try to look for point of veiw of the teachers also what do they think.... any demont teachers there plz join and tell us ur problems. i think it wud be a great opportunity for u to say anything u want.

hey everyone whats up,
i'm a final year student and lahore medical and dental college in bds i have my final prof on december 18th with the new university of health sciences...contrary to what you stated earlier...it is not an mcq system ..they were pushed very hard to get mcq system but htey did not agree and i just think the medical/dental system in this country will always be backwards and lagging behind the rest of the world until we switch to the mcq sytem that is used WORLDWIDE...too many damn politics in this country i'm sorry to say...
anways..i know some of the private colleges have bad reps...but i'm here to tell you lmdc 's facilities are INCREDIBLE...our dental section is one of the most impressive in teh country...we have 100 operating dental chairs and cubicles and anotehr 100 are being put in in the follwoing year....our labs are state of the art and all materials...gloves, masks, steriization is supplied by teh college...our professors are very strict about our aseptic techniqe...we have a huge patient pool as well..and a wide variety of cases come in everday...just wanted to clear up some things that people may have had a wrong idea bout LMDC....anyways...i really think this exam is gonna be a mess for me cuz i'm not used to the essay system..never did it before! i was in new york my whole life and then i moved to pakistan to do my bds...the first three years we were affilliated with baqai university and now we are with teh UHS.....so just wihs me good luck and let's see how it goes...i'm sorry to say and be so frank..but the ba$***** involved in dont know what the hell they are diong..they have no idea how to run an exam or make an exam system and THEY are the real ones who are eating up all the money of the students...they ahve by the way made it mandatory..that any college that wants to be affillitate with them(llike we have a choice!) has to give 10% of all the students fees to them..adn what is there excuse for why they are collecting this money???? so that "they can make a foolproof system and look after the well being of their students)...what a load of crock...i m sure u can see my feelings toward the UHS i'm just gonna be so glad once all this is thru....and i can go give my board exam ndb1 in january so good luck everyone..keep up the good posts...sorry if i was a bit frank! hey it needed to be said! and by the way why exempt KE AND FATIMA JINNAH? CORRUPT POLITICIANS WILL KEEP THIS COUNTRY DOWN UNTIL THEY ARE REMOVED

this is a really good thing that someone other than the demont students have joined us.

this is really good that LMDC has put its efforts in improving the standards of the college with improvement in their equipment also. and good luck 4 ur exams. it wud be really difficult if u havnt taken the exams like that. but stick ur self to UQs it wud help u.
let see everybody is waiting 4LMDC results... demont result was really good. A pvt. college FJ took exams this year but their result was pathetic.

i didnt dislike yr frankness. demontarians r much more angry than u r. somebody told me that the students went on strike....bec. of affiliation they filed a case and put every effort they cud make to get rid of affiliation but again pathatic politics ...

mcqs wud start after a few years. lets see wherewud the politics wud take us

now tell me what about ur clinical quota do u ppl. have any and how much and how r u ppl. taught? how do u finish ur qouta? u kno QUOTA+pissed+ but when u finish it:clap: :clap: :clap:

what about extra cirricular activities? what about lectures and everyhing
transmit the germs to ur patient that u want ur patient to transmit to u

Hi Fafooden & Khurram

I am kind of Confused here :confused: Well i graduated in 1999 so i have been out of country for a while so PLEASE tell me something all i have understood by now is that Pujab univ is taken over by the UHS right ? so now this univ is going to give u the degree ? Y did the court ruled in favour of UHS ? i mean it is new univ what if people r going to do the post gradu or like us go to dental school here there will be no recognition for the UHS cuz its a new thing ? another thing is this UHS taken over only in Punjab or rest of the provinces r included in this too ? Is the exam pattern going to be the same like the one Punjab univ had ? Y didnt the professors objected to this univ ? how did punjab univ let go of its authorites so easily? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Fafooden if u dont mind can u please tell me r u still in school ? r u from demont too? U mentioned that demont result was really good so was this exam conducted through the new univ? and another thing did they bring in the new Examinors or the same people r comming to take the viva and the practical ?

I thought we had a though time when we were in school but seems like that u people r in a big mess.

Khurram i wanted the thing u asked in the other place about theGPA . I have noticed that indian people have their gpa's above 3 but with our pattern of exam+ political viva pattern we dont score a lot but since u had the mcq thing for the first 3 year so i am sure ur going to be fine i though my gpa(2.8) was fine but once i looked in through the rest of the post i realized it was okay but the good new is that it doesnt really matter as long as ur score is good . Best of luck with the exam and i hope u get ur result of final prof in time to apply for this year:

Hi!
good to see that finally we have an opportunity to share our experiences. first of all best of luck khurram for ur exams.. result of demont was pretty good yes our dear UHS took it!
the reason why PU has been taken over by UHS is that govt is supporting UHS, the case even went to supreme court but in vain.. professors were not supporting students for obvious reasons. KE and FJMC will soon join in. examination pattern has been changed, no concept of following UQ's as now all examiners submit there 15 questions and then UHS randomly selects from a pile of questions. different examiners are alloted different questions to check. now there is a key system what is required in the answer and what is not so they mark it accordingly.
the good thing is that they announce the result in a month or less. so "sanbhalnay ka moqa bhee naheen milta"
so what u guys are upto ... especially those who r in states. guide us a little more.

Hi saira

Welcome :clap: :clap:

Well all i am up to is waiting to hear from NYU and thinking of retaking the exam .

What about u ? when r u planning to take the exam ?

Best of luck

Bond

hey everyone...
well bond it's a bit confusing...
onE FINE day..mr. musharaf stepped in and for no reason said we need a new university..the 'bright' governor khalid maqbool stepped in and said i'm gonna be chancellor...
he dones't know a thing about how to run a unviersity....anywas...it wen tot court cuz just like you said it woudnt be recogized abroad...but to no avail...the deal that the supreme court cut was that hte third and final year students would take the exam with UHS but would be granted PUNJAB degrees....weird right..anywas...we got saved cuz i'llbe getting a punjab degree..but i feel sorry for eveyrone below us that will be getting a uhs degree which no one in the world knows ofhahah...and let's see..the exam format is the same...but like she said there is a key and stuff and supposedly fictious roll numbers are bieng assigned to students so that they cannot'have the marks fixed in their favor' honestly it's all BS and they dont have any idea whta they are doing ...i'm really ticked off with these people...just very frustrated..now i hope i get thru my exam ok and pass on teh first go i wanna give the damn board exam already i've been studying for like 4 months now so i feel i'm ready but can't do it till i ge tthis prof out of the way really bad timing...good luck to everyone on teh final prof that s giving it yeah ih eard d'm ont had like a 78 percent result but then i heard that fj had lik ea 3 percen result hahahah seriously that's what happened something like that..that's insane..i mean i hope they dont have a thing against private colelges but i know they do.....and im afraid to say it but i really think they are gonna be out to get me...see the thing is my dad is chairman LMDC...and the governor and him dont get along to well...my father is also a politican so there is some heat between them loooonnng story...i'm just hoping they dont fail me on purpose..then i'll be screwed..but according to them they have a foolproof exam system...YEAH RIGHT ...give me a break..i know personally wiht facts that they have changed the results of some students adn this is first hand knowlege..anywasy...like i said good luck to everyone hope you all get thru...i'm doing all the UQ'S but i dont know i just suck at writing essay questions understandably since i've never done them...inshallah i'l get thru and be able to give my step one as soon as they offer it on the computerized version like they said in january...see ya people i'm out

hey saira,,
thanx for your post...hey i gotta question for you..it's kinda bad to ask but how was the strictness in teh exam hall at UHS...were the proctors very strict and were they kinda lax...i mean...i might need to ask around a little bit for some help haahahhahaa...but serioulsy...how was the mahal in teh center...dont think i'm a big time cheater or anything..just wanna know how worried i should be hahaha...take care

Well khurram regarding the enviroment at UHS, there are loads of invigilators, very good bright light, a bit distance but if u know how to get along, i am sure u will :) and i dont think so they r very tough in marking the papers especially with the final proff as cant say the same thing about the rest.
and regarding my plans, well house job will start in march and i am planning to take boards in july inshallah. havent started with prep yet as still relaxing. so those who have taken boards, any tips, suggestions, advice, which books to follow how to get along with the prep etc

Hi khurram

Thanx for ur detailed reply i realy appreciate it. HMMMMMMMMM

So this is what is happning there , So u r the last lucky batch getting the Punjab univ degree. GOOD FOR U

Since they have changed the system and everything i hope it works and its good that u get the result in one month.

U know khurram seems like u r in more trouble then anyone else but i am sure if u studied well ur going to pass inshalla .

Keep ur fingers crossed and study hard.

All the best

BOND

well thats great i really like it evrybody has participated in the topic and shared the experiences. thats good.

regardinng the univ. i think now what all we can do is pray and be hopeful of everything going on in here.... i wish uhs abides by their promise and u all be granted punjab univ. degree

saira did u get ur mark sheet wasit of punjab univ. i mn it matters a lot coz its more like a preliminary degree......

regarding all this i think nothing can be done coz the students have alredy put in their efforts

okay let this topic go on like this in this thread i am going to start another therad allof u do respond to that. i am really having a good feeling that pakistani dentists r there utilizing net in a nice way and r ready to join hands and be there 4 support

any body doing anything 4 the upcoming conference in Islamabad that is to be helad on 18 19 20 dec.

i think it is a nice oppotunity 4 the students to have a standing and be there do participate in table clinics and other competitions

the karachi schools r always ahead come on ppl u hav all the guts u can also make it....give them some tough competetion.... so that they may also improve more and more i think it wud be hard 4 the LMDC to make it thru coz of exams come on demontarians pick ur selves up and do it........:clap: :clap: :clap:

well when the govt and PMDC have recognized UHS and supreme court has given their final verdict.. there is no place we can go..
the martsheet is from UHS not punjab university. though we tried our best but in vain.

hi..i just came across this site and i never knew that there are demontarians contributing within these forums! nice to know...
i graduatated from Demont in 2002....
i have moved to Canada and am in no luck yet concerning my future studies here...i think its kinda hard....or whatever....
the best i can do right now is get into hygiene...anyone of u here working as a dentist overseas???

Saira said:
well when the govt and PMDC have recognized UHS and supreme court has given their final verdict.. there is no place we can go..
the martsheet is from UHS not punjab university. though we tried our best but in vain.

I am just a student, have learnt a lot from the views of all you guys. Thanks.

Hello there: Good to see so many Pakistani dentists active on the web. I am a relatively old de'Mont grad. Seems like the link has been dead for sometime. Any one out there?

:)

salam
well wat abt the medics here
come one paki medics wake up :p dentists here getting a hold
neways nice seeing pakis here