PAL cut-off limit

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meibomian SxN

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally a relevant clinical question , lol :soexcited:

What is the highest myopic/hyperopic PAL you prescribe? My patient today was a -14.00D myope with a +2.00 Add.

I Rx's PALs for the first time as she was wearing CLs and no NVOs at all. Any similar cases? Would she have done better in a FT-28?

Members don't see this ad.

Does she have any astigmatism? I'm not sure if she'll be okay in progressives, I don't know enough about them but that kind of a script with cyl will probably be iffy.

My mom tried progressives and she couldn't adapt.. but she's a +6.50 with -3.00 diopters of cyl.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally a relevant clinical question , lol :soexcited:

What is the highest myopic/hyperopic PAL you prescribe? My patient today was a -14.00D myope with a +2.00 Add.

I Rx's PALs for the first time as she was wearing CLs and no NVOs at all. Any similar cases? Would she have done better in a FT-28?

May I ask which lens type (i.e. free form vs standard PAL) and manufacturer you went with?

Would there not be a high chance this Px may complain of headaches due to the large difference in correction within such a small area?

Does she have any astigmatism? I'm not sure if she'll be okay in progressives, I don't know enough about them but that kind of a script with cyl will probably be iffy.

My mom tried progressives and she couldn't adapt.. but she's a +6.50 with -3.00 diopters of cyl.

She had a abot 1-2 diopters of cyl but with such a high myopic Rx it wouldn't be of any concern. I just never seen a patient in PALs with that high an Rx. We'll see what happens...... :scared:

Give her SV lenses and tell her to slide the specs down her nose 1cm or so when she's reading.

LOL, uhh wouldn't that give her a minification effect? Basic optics principle (good old U+D=V) :rolleyes: Nice attempt though.

LOL, uhh wouldn't that give her a minification effect? Basic optics principle (good old U+D=V) :rolleyes: Nice attempt though.

It would cause an under correction of the myopia, effectively causing some add effect. I wouldn't recommend that to a patient though. Put them in high index free form digital lens with a +2.50 and give it a shot.

I am a foriegn dentist and got admission in dental school this year .
I have myopia around 1 10
There will be a medical exam before final admission. will this be any rejection criteria for me . Please help me with this question. I dont want to loose admission after trying so many years.
Thanks a lot

I am a foriegn dentist and got admission in dental school this year .
I have myopia around - 10
There will be a medical exam before final admission. will this be any rejection criteria for me . Please help me with this question. I dont want to loose admission after trying so many years.
Thanks a lot

It would cause an under correction of the myopia, effectively causing some add effect. I wouldn't recommend that to a patient though. Put them in high index free form digital lens with a +2.50 and give it a shot.
It is true that you would need to increase the effective power at a longer vertex distance, but for myope the image size generated by the lens at the far point sphere would get smaller as they move the lenses further away from the eye (as demonstrated by the nodal ray). Since the image produced by the lens is smaller, the retinal image size will also be smaller. However, I don't think it's a simple as "V = U + P."
picture1iec.png

This is why a contact lens corrected myope has a larger image size than a spectacle-corrected myope. :prof:
picture2hsb.png

Naturally, the opposite situation occurs for a hyperope.

Being fresh off of taking boards has its advantages...:hardy:

Last edited: