1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

palliative care lifestyle/salaries

Discussion in 'Hospice and Palliative Medicine' started by miacomet, Apr 21, 2018.

1. miacomet

Attending Physician
    Hi Palli folks! I am a midcareer EM doc trying to figure out the back half of my career. Wondering what your day is like in palliative care, what the job market is like in NYC, and would love to hear any other thoughts you might have on the field.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. geripalgal

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Cant speak specifically for ny. For around phili, Full time palliative is about 200k. Job market and outlook is currently good across the country.

miacomet likes this.
  4. Houmd

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Job market is excellent across the board. So many openings, so few palliative physicians. Salary is ~200-240 from what I've seen

miacomet likes this.
  5. QueenJames

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How likely is it to clear 300K+ in hospice/palliative care? thx.

6. geripalgal

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    not easy, unless maybe you are a section/division head.

QueenJames likes this.
  7. miacomet

Attending Physician
    How much night call is there as a palli attending?

8. geripalgal

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I take call one in 6 weeks, call is from home, and 99.9% are from our hospice patients. The rare palli calls i received where to schedule a family meeting next day

miacomet likes this.
  9. miacomet

Attending Physician
    Thanks GPG! Might I ask you what your day is like, what your salary is, and what part of the country (generally) you are in? How did you pick HPM?

So appreciated. Thank you.

10. geripalgal

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am in an academic program with hpm fellows in the northeast. Base full time pay is currently 205k. We have 5mds in the group - 3 primarily do palli, 2 (including myself) primarily hospice. We have a palliative home program and a less busy clinic. Our pallitive consult and hospice services are both busy. We have a lot of NP, SW, chaplain support.

my hours are typically 8-5, sometimes earlier if there are meetings/academic lectures, im almost always done on time if not earlier than 4. I take home call for a week at a time from home, mostly covering hospice. Weekend call includes rounding at the hospice IPU, palliative care consults at our hospital(s), and covering hospice calls. Weekends can be busy, but on average im home by 3pm.

11. Shufflin

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    200K for full-time work plus call? I'm trying to wrap my head around that for a second. Does that not strike you as being on the low end of the physician income spectrum, and that there's room to negotiate?

12. geripalgal

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes palliative care is on the lower side of the spectrum for sure. We are not a specialty that generates revenue so while there is some room to negotiate we are not talking about going above 250. I am in a group practice, so obviously if you are out alone and starting a new program you may be able to ask for more.

(However, If your desire is more income, there are plenty of other fields and specialties to consider - this is one that you really have to love the work that you do)

Also, just fyi i work primarily in hospice and have a young child. I have the flexibility to leave early when needed and work remotley from home, which is hard to find in other specialties. I wouldnt trade that flexibility for any amount of $$ at this point in my life!! (Of note, you cant really work remotley in palliative care).

pencilcase, WilcoWorld and QueenJames like this.
  13. QueenJames

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Any docs out there pursuing opening hospice homes?

14. geripalgal

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not any that I know of... i dont know that its possible to offer only inpatient hospice without full spectrum hospice services and still be reimbursed by medicare...

15. QueenJames

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Another question.

Is it common for a physician to be director of or an employee of more than one hospice facility? The state that I am in fortunately does not worry about "no-compete" clauses in contracts.