Palm Pilot

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by PaulB, Apr 12, 1999.

1. PaulB

PaulB Junior Member

Has anyone had any experience (positive or negative)with Palm Pilot organizers? Is there any software that is useful for medical students?
    Thanks

Paul

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I have had ZERO experience with palm pilots or there bretheren...but any sort of organizer can't be anything but helpful. Although, I would prob spend the $$ on a good laptop with an organizer/date management program in it in lieu of a palmtop thingy.

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    Senior, Neurosciences
    Univ of Texas at Dallas
    Class of 1999

4. justwannabadoc

justwannabadoc Senior Member

It depends on for what and when you are going to use it. The only time I think one would come of use would be during rotations. I guess you could put pharm stuff in there. They can't hold enough stuff for your preclinical years though. If your notes are computerized like at KCOM, then a laptop is definately the way to go since you can have it in fromt of you during class. If you don't need to have that computer with you, get a desktop and save yourself a lot of money on a much better system. I just bought a PDA, though not for purposes of med school. If you plan on getting one, get one with lots of memory. Mine is great b/c it has 8MB, runs on Windows CE (so you can put a map program into it which is really convenient if you're traveling), and lets you record dictation too. Pilot is a great brand but not much memory. Also expensive. I got an Everex which will come out to $179 after rebate and not including a free 8MB memory card (giving me a total of 16MB).