Palm Pilots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apass

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - this may have been adressed before but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good PDA for med students from personal experience.

Let me know:) thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can't tell you which one is good, but I can say that if I had a choice, I would not buy my school-issued Toshiba e750. It's fine to use for keeping a schedule, and to check your email, but it's not a popular model, so finding accessories is difficult.

I know people with Sony Clie's, and are very happy with them.

do a search

BUT WITHOUT A DOUBT PALM TUNGSTEN E.

you won't regret it.

-J

Members don't see this ad :)
Palm Tungsten T3 is top of the line. :thumbup:

Tungsten E:

$200.00, so it is replacable in a few years
Runs on PalmOS
TONS of medical software available
Sturdy

I'm not yet in med school, but I am a big fan of the HP iPAQ. There is a grip load of medical software and the possibilities are as limitless as your desktop. Tons of accessories available as well. Check it out:)

Don't feel its necessary to get a palm pilot. I had one for the first two years of medical school, (the palm VIIx) and it broke during my third year. Haven't had one since and I'm doing fine as an intern.

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
Don't feel its necessary to get a palm pilot. I had one for the first two years of medical school, (the palm VIIx) and it broke during my third year. Haven't had one since and I'm doing fine as an intern.

Q, DO

i agree. for medical school at least, the palm really isn't that beneficial. when you get pimped they don't give you time to look it up on your palm, lol. it is occasionally useful to look something up when having discussions, but it's more of a liability than anything. so many of them get dropped and break that it's not funny. imagine $300+ down the drain from a simple unexpected bump while you're looking something up. just get a few basic pocketbooks and wait to get your palm in residency.

Angela,

next time you see me ask about pda's, I have a clie and am very happy with it. I'm glad to share.

russell

personally i feel that people who don't find it beneficial don't put PDA's to their full use. I used mine in grad school as a mini laptop by buying the fold out keyboard which is basically just a bit bigger than the palm itself when folded and opens to full size.

there are programs to keep track of your grades, assignments, due dates, GPA, etc, etc. if you take time to learn it you will see that there are so many uses for it. i store my workout information on it, my contact lists, i can write email on it and send it later when i sync (don't have a wireless internet model), work on word documents, excel spreadsheets.

of course if you're not inclined to use one then don't bother but if you ENJOY technology and want to carry less (ditch the laptop, leave the books at home) then it's a really nice tool to have. i am the super anal super organized type so i like to have the alarms and gobs of information at my fingertips so i can't imagine not having one.

i love both my HP H4155 and Palm T3.

4155 is cooler though. :)

new sony th55 is also lookin smooth... although i havent tried it yet.

If you are a real techno buff then I would hold off just a little longer. More companies are integrating cellphones with pda's. Quite a few are out now but are more cellphone organizers than pda's. some have windows some use other OS's. I am waiting for HP's version. (More like hoping).

Originally posted by raptor5
If you are a real techno buff then I would hold off just a little longer. More companies are integrating cellphones with pda's. Quite a few are out now but are more cellphone organizers than pda's. some have windows some use other OS's. I am waiting for HP's version. (More like hoping).

that's if u got like 600-700 bux, which most ppl dont have.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interested I have a Dell Axim x5 that I was just going to post on ebay. My work just bought me a new ipaq h2210 so I'm getting rid of my Axim. I have had it less than a year and it is in good shape. I have tons of accessories to go with it including the portable keyboard, leather case, car charger, screen covers, and possibly the 802.11b wireless card. PM me if you are interested. :cool:

If you're interested in getting top of the line Palm (brand) product, don't get the Tungsten T3 as Palm will be coming out with a new Palm very soon. Best Buy is not even stocking Tungsten T3's anymore where I live , and prices have dropped $60 in two months.

Carpe

Originally posted by carpe diem
If you're interested in getting top of the line Palm (brand) product, don't get the Tungsten T3 as Palm will be coming out with a new Palm very soon. Best Buy is not even stocking Tungsten T3's anymore where I live , and prices have dropped $60 in two months.

Carpe

Of course the technology is always going to improve. I would still recommend the Tungsten T3, because the price will be considerably lower than the new version. The T3 has 64MB of internal memory, which is more than enough for anyone using it for medical programs. The 400MHz processor is the fastest on the market and sufficient to run any programs quickly. Also, it has a color screen and runs on Palm OS 5.2.1. So any improvements will only be superficial and come at a much higher cost. The T3 was considered the first "revolutionary" palm product in a while.

Agree Wolfman(lady). That is actually what I plan to do--- get the T3 at reduced price; I was just trying to give everyone a heads up, since I know many folks were perturbed when the T3 debuted last year, just a month or two after the T2 came out.

Carpe

Originally posted by carpe diem
Agree Wolfman(lady). That is actually what I plan to do--- get the T3 at reduced price; I was just trying to give everyone a heads up, since I know many folks were perturbed when the T3 debuted last year, just a month or two after the T2 came out.

Carpe

Very sound advice. Have you heard what the specs will be for the new model? What's the lowest price you've seen for the T3? I bought mine a month ago for $335.

-Wolfman

Originally posted by DireWolf
Palm Tungsten T3 is top of the line. :thumbup:

I agree. I love my T3. :thumbup:

I have what is now considered an "old" Sony Clie that I got a few years ago before med school...I used it in my job now and then b/c I was involved in a lot of multitasking and also had to keep track of a lot of different contacts throughout the hospital.

It has an MP3 player in it.

Now, in year 2 of med school, the majority of the time I use it to listen to tunes while working out. I look things up on epocrates sometmes.

Otherwise 4 now it's a bit of a pain in the a$$. I hope that maybe by the time I get to residency someone will hand me one with all the software that I need in it.

Originally posted by DireWolf
Very sound advice. Have you heard what the specs will be for the new model? What's the lowest price you've seen for the T3? I bought mine a month ago for $335.

-Wolfman

I don't know anything about the new model--- just that it should be out very soon. Best Buy , in my area, will order one and sell for $289-299 as of last week.

Carpe

p.s. MaryC, how did the old "colporhographic hysteroscopically assisted laparasalpinectoscopy " final go for you?

p.s. MaryC, how did the old "colporhographic hysteroscopically assisted laparasalpinectoscopy " final go for you? [/B]

Somebody kill me. When I got to about question 87 I was ready to fight--go up to someone's office and just say "WTF!!!" There were so many BAD questions. Jeez.

Have a nice spring break.
M.

Hey guys - thanks for your replies - very much appreciated. My brother has offered to buy me a pda - he just became partner in his firm and I guess he feels bad for his poor little sister in medical school. Maybe I will wait for the new palm.

I don't feel like I have to have one but I see people using them at UHS and it just seems like they are nice to have. I have a older palm just for organization purposes only though.

thanks!
Angela
MSI - UHS
only about 7 weeks from being a MSII - HOORAY

apass,

if you already have a palm you might as well get familiar with some of the FREE software that is out there. go to the palm website and click on software, type in medical and it will bring up tons of stuff you might be interested in. also check out guineasoft.net (i think, might need to google that) for med student based software.

just because you have an old model doesn't mean you can't use ALL of it's functionality.

-J

with any of these PDA's, how do most people connect to the internet. do you connect to your cell phone or can you access the school's wireless connection thru your PDA or not??

nerves,

it depends on the type you get. if you have a PDA that is not wireless internet enabled then you connect and hotsync it with your pc. the hotsync process updates all your information that has changed with outlook (if you have it set up that way) so contacts, date book, to do list are all up to date. a program called avantgo allows you to choose certain websites to download to your PDA (if you have a palm OS anyway). i have usatoday, new york times, american medical news, my yahoo homepage, powerquotes, business week, and of course the new audi NCAA march madness coverage. this will update each time you hotsync so your information via the net is new. it's not exactly like the official web site you visit online but it's a good way to carry around information that you might not be able to sit at your computer to read.

as far as i know the wireless is a service you pay for through the company you buy the PDA from. i personally do not have the need right now for something that will connect to the internet.

hope this helps.
-J