Palm vs. Pocket PC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lodoc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a tried and true debate, but I'm wondering what people are thinking now. I know that in the past it seemed that most physicians chose Palms over Pocket PCs because of the abudnance of free software, however I also know that the technology is constantly changing and I'm wondering what people think is the best now. Has the Pocket PC caught up with the Palm in terms of programs available? For those programs that are not available for Pocket PC is the cost to purchase similar programs really expensive?

Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Palm Palm Palm Palm Palm Palm Palm!

My reason - Palm's never crash. Pocket PCs do.

I don't know what programs US students use, so can't really help you on pricing, but generally there is still a lot more free software out there for Palm's than for PPC.

i second the above poster....go palm

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a pocket PC and it's very easy to use. It's also next to impossible to get any decent medical programs for it. Especially the free stuff. Palm has the market on software.

I am a fourth year and I use a pocket pc. I had a palm for 2 years and now have a pocket pc. I had problems with my palm and have had a much better experience with my pocket pc. Which you should get depends on what you intend on using it for.

Here is my opinion:

-If you are only interested in using the handheld device for datebook/notes/medical reference, then a palm is fine. Just make sure that you get one of the models that has an expansion slot (for an SD card) because many of the books are very large. On palm.com the cheapest current palm model with an expansion card is the tungsten E for $199.

-Most medical software is now available for both palm os and pocket pc, so that should not be a big part of your decision. One difference is that epocrates is not free for pocket pc. Also, some of the software for pocket pc's include more images/tables than the same software for palm os.

-If you are interested in using your handheld for other things (like internet, music, documents), I would go with a pocket pc. I love my pocket pc because i can look up something in 5mcc or harrisons and then log onto the internet for more info if I need to (a lot of schools and hospitals have wireless internet now). Also, the pocket pc's have faster processors and move through info faster. It used to take my palm 30 seconds to open tabers medical dictionary. A pocket pc will probably cost 300-400 depending on what features you want.

It seems to me like other than epocrates and some medical calculators, you have to pay for software either way. The good medical reference like 5 minute clinical consult, Harrisons, Merck, lexi drugs, etc. is the same price for palm os or pocket pc. Most of the books are about $50-$75, but can be purchased cheaper when on sale or in bundles. If you are interested in sites to look at software before you decide on what type of pda you want check out the following:

www.handheldmed.com
www.skyscape.com
www.epocrates.com
www.lexi.com

there's a lot more pirated medical software out there for palm than pocket pc, hands down.

do a search of my previous postings for more information.

Notwithstanding the ethical concerns, you can get almost anything for free on-line. Use file-sharing software like bearshare or limewire. You can get anatomy, merck manual, PDR, infectious disease database - more clinical software and databses than you could use..

A little off the topic...
but, i received a palm pilot (Clie SJ33)and left the instruction booklet in another state.

I am a little impatient...can anyone explain a few things while i wait for it to arrive in the mail?

1. what size memory card do you need to run each of the downloaded programs?

2. do most people use more than one memory card?

3. how do you keep track of them...if you use many?

4. Any hints as to how to get started?

thanks for any info you may provide!

Originally posted by mile_26
A little off the topic...
but, i received a palm pilot (Clie SJ33)and left the instruction booklet in another state.

I am a little impatient...can anyone explain a few things while i wait for it to arrive in the mail?

1. what size memory card do you need to run each of the downloaded programs?

2. do most people use more than one memory card?

3. how do you keep track of them...if you use many?

4. Any hints as to how to get started?

thanks for any info you may provide!

My advice would be to buy one large memory card. Mine is 256MB and it was $100.00. I have the Merck maual, several clinical consultant programs and several databases including infectiuos disease. I also have the entire Netter anatomy book in detailed color. I haven't even filled the entire card yet.

You could get less memory, but half as much memory is only around $20.00 less.