Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why does low flow --> increased Cl-, and high flow --> increased HCO3- ?
Aside from CFTR, there's a Cl-/HCO3- antiporter, so I'd think that a low flow rate gives more time for bicarb to enter the lumen, so low flow should = higher HCO3-. Obviously that can't be right though.
The only other thing I can think of right off the bat is that low flow gives more time for CFTR to pump Cl- into the lumen, and that HCO3- is generally just linked to PSNS function, which coincidentally coincides with increased flow (same as with saliva).
Does anyone know?
Aside from CFTR, there's a Cl-/HCO3- antiporter, so I'd think that a low flow rate gives more time for bicarb to enter the lumen, so low flow should = higher HCO3-. Obviously that can't be right though.
The only other thing I can think of right off the bat is that low flow gives more time for CFTR to pump Cl- into the lumen, and that HCO3- is generally just linked to PSNS function, which coincidentally coincides with increased flow (same as with saliva).
Does anyone know?