Panic attacks the month before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedpremed12345

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone else had extreme anxiety about starting med school? I'm trying to enjoy my last month off but dont know how.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Having some anxiety before starting is normal. But if this is truly "extreme anxiety" where you are unable to function, do the things you want, perform at your fullest, etc, then now would be a very good time to get some help.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Having some anxiety before starting is normal. But if this is truly "extreme anxiety" where you are unable to function, do the things you want, perform at your fullest, etc, then now would be a very good time to get some help.
but how much can OP expect to improve in this timeframe, considering most med schools start in 4-8 weeks?

you better scope out a therapist / see your primary about it ASAP, because things only get progressively more anxiety-provoking from here

Reactions: 1 users
has anyone else had extreme anxiety about starting med school? I'm trying to enjoy my last month off but dont know how.
Everyone has good advice that I'd take. I'd like to add on.

Try some self-reflection/meditation. Where is this anxiety coming from? What is triggering it? It could be moving to a new place away from friends/family or the responsibilities associated with becoming a doctor? Whatever it is, once you've identified the cause(s), you can try to start looking at things from a different perspective. You'd be surprised about how much can change by simply viewing things through a different lens. For example, any time you feel anxiety, actively tell yourself you're "excited!" This is called "anxious reappraisal" and it really has helped me through some of my most anxious times. I've even read here that reappraising anxiety as excitement is better than trying to tell yourself to remain calm due to arousal congruency. You can google more if you want.

You've reached your first goal. Be happy, be calm, and enjoy life before school. Cheers~

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
but how much can OP expect to improve in this timeframe, considering most med schools start in 4-8 weeks?
You would be surprised! Assuming the anxiety is pathological, the initial benefit of psychotherapy can be pretty quick (never underestimate the power of empathy and being acknowledged). And if an antidepressant is indicated, its effect can also be seen relatively soon. For example, first line for generalized anxiety disorder would typically be a SSRI medication. Even though the full effect of a given dose of SSRI is not seen until 4-6 weeks, most of the benefit (~50-70%) is realistically seen within two weeks. So in 4-8 weeks, we could reasonably initiate and up-titrate a SSRI. Some other classes (e.g SNRIs) see response even sooner. I've had many folks present with passive death wishes and suicidal ideations respond very well to medications and psychotherapy within several weeks. Of course, in many cases, it takes much longer than this time frame as you pointed out; however, the sooner it gets started, the better. Also, all this talk of medications and whatnot are assuming that the anxiety is pathological, which we don't even know yet. In most of these cases, the anxiety is physiologic.

Reactions: 4 users
You'd be surprised about how much can change by simply viewing things through a different lens. For example, any time you feel anxiety, actively tell yourself you're "excited!"

^ really good advice I’m gonna try that

OP, you’re not alone. I’m real nervous too. I’m optimistic that once we’re in the swing of things and know what we’re up against the nerves will die down.

Reactions: 5 users
All great advice above! I would echo that there is no wrong time to start treatment, especially for anxiety disorders (for me, at least, there was kind of a placebo effect in going to CBT because I felt like I was being productive and taking steps toward feeling better). And not to drug push, but let's just say I felt like an idiot for trying to "get over it myself" and "waiting for the storm to pass" when meds were an option all along haha, thankfully the first one I tried years ago worked for me and now I'm super excited about school when before I would have been having panic attacks.

You got this, OP! Feel free to PM if you have any more questions.

Reactions: 2 users