Panicked first time poster...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naturalrice

Hopelessly Confused
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if there's already a post/sticky/something about this... but this is my first time on this forums (and generally the internet) and I'm completely confused about where anything is... by the looks of it this forum is generally populated with juniors/senior undergrads that seek advice?

I'm only a freshman and I was wondering where I'm supposed to be... (feels like the first day in school :( ) Any help is appreciated.. Apologies if this upset anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize if there's already a post/sticky/something about this... but this is my first time on this forums (and generally the internet) and I'm completely confused about where anything is... by the looks of it this forum is generally populated with juniors/senior undergrads that seek advice?

I'm only a freshman and I was wondering where I'm supposed to be... (feels like the first day in school :( ) Any help is appreciated.. Apologies if this upset anyone.

What could you need to know as a freshman? When to take physics? Does UG prestige matter?

Members don't see this ad :)

We're going to offend, insult, abuse, and belittle the living heck out of you.We will judge you, and we will find you unworthy. It is a trial by fire, and we won't even think about turning down the flames until you finally understand.

JUST KIDDING!

Welcome aboard. :)

Sorry about that!

I was seeking general advice on my situation... I am not doing very exceptional and I was looking for ANY form of advice so that I can safely pass through this hell of pre-med... I'm almost finishing my first year and I've already dug myself into a hole... so where would I go for... general whining and crying?

We're going to offend, insult, abuse, and belittle the living heck out of you.We will judge you, and we will find you unworthy. It is a trial by fire, and we won't even think about turning down the flames until you finally understand.

JUST KIDDING!

Welcome aboard. :)
He is kidding, but that is how a lot of the regular posters on SDN will treat you. Try to spend a lot more time reading SDN than you spend posting, and you will learn a lot about the process of getting into med school.

Limit your time on SDN or you will drive yourself completely nuts thinking you need a 4.1 GPA, 46U MCAT score, have to single-handedly cure cancer, and hand-build a world-class hospital in Africa to even have a chance at admission.

Remember that no one here knows you personally, so don't take anything said personally.

Last edited:
Sorry about that!

I was seeking general advice on my situation... I am not doing very exceptional and I was looking for ANY form of advice so that I can safely pass through this hell of pre-med... I'm almost finishing my first year and I've already dug myself into a hole... so where would I go for... general whining and crying?
What kind of a hole? 3.3GPA or 6 F's and the rest W's on your transcript? What have you done to get help? What are your study habits? What are your extra curricular activities, and are they preventing you from getting the grades you need?

This site tends to attract anyone from birth to old age, from pre-pre-pre-pre-meds (kindergarten) to crusty old retired docs, and anyone in between. Some are extremely knowledgeable, experienced and helpful, and others...

Some are extremely knowledgeable, experienced and helpful, and others...

tumblr_m1krxaq1wm1r9tmor.gif

Well sir, my hole has only been recently been dug but I'm not quite sure of the extent of the damage yet. I am currently a freshman at a small Christian University called Andrews University. I have taken several classes during high school but due to the frivolity of a high school student, I have slacked in the GPA department. Also after a 2 year break (due to personal reasons) I have entered college unprepared and overconfident leading me into the great depression in which I am at now. I currently hold a 3.0 (though I fear it may drop slightly or rise slightly depending on this semester's performance... I fear the former) and have actually gotten a C in history (I say the teacher hated me :( ) I am have trouble in my bio class (can't get it above a borderline B ~ B-) and I fear things may simply get worse as I take on additional science classes. Most, if not all, of my gen ed. classes have been taken and they aren't great but they aren't terrible.

My friend who is going to take her MCAT this year says that it's not the WORST scenario and I should keep at it but I'm not quite so sure... and wanted the opinion of others. Though looking at this website.. I fear that my academic prowess seems laughable =P

Well sir, my hole has only been recently been dug but I'm not quite sure of the extent of the damage yet. I am currently a freshman at a small Christian University called Andrews University. I have taken several classes during high school but due to the frivolity of a high school student, I have slacked in the GPA department. Also after a 2 year break (due to personal reasons) I have entered college unprepared and overconfident leading me into the great depression in which I am at now. I currently hold a 3.0 (though I fear it may drop slightly or rise slightly depending on this semester's performance... I fear the former) and have actually gotten a C in history (I say the teacher hated me :( ) I am have trouble in my bio class (can't get it above a borderline B ~ B-) and I fear things may simply get worse as I take on additional science classes. Most, if not all, of my gen ed. classes have been taken and they aren't great but they aren't terrible.

My friend who is going to take her MCAT this year says that it's not the WORST scenario and I should keep at it but I'm not quite so sure... and wanted the opinion of others. Though looking at this website.. I fear that my academic prowess seems laughable =P

I agree with your friend. It's not the worst scenario ever. Actually, if you're trying to recover from a 3.0 your freshman year, you're doing much better than some others. The key now is where you go from here. A strong upward trend is key, and even if you can't get your GPA up to the 3.8~ golden spot, a 3.6 is the average accepted GPA.

Try to figure out how you can improve in terms of studying, humble yourself, and get cracking on your extracurriculars. You'll be fine.

You are not by any means at an irrecoverable point regarding your grades. Many people who have later been successful in applying to med schools had a full 4 years at a 3.0 gpa before taking post-bac classes to recover, so one year of a 3.0 does not sink you.

What have you done to get out of the B range in your bio classes? Have you met with your professors? Have you changed your study habits? Have you taken advantage of tutors/SI? Since college has obviously been problematic for you so far, you obviously need to change how you are doing things. Don't go into your classes with the expectation that you will do the same thing, but this time you will get an A. It doesn't work that way, you will need to change what you are doing to change your grades. If you need to spend more time studying, make sure you do that. If you need a tutor, even if you have to pay for one (if you school doesn't offer free tutoring) it is money well spent if it means you get an A instead of a B-. Be sure to keep your course load as light as possible while you figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Once you start getting A's consistently, you can add to your work load and add EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also summer break is coming up and I was at cross roads whether I should take additional science classes (ornothology/herbology) or begin some community service work. I haven't really been involved with any of that during my high school year but people have been telling me that it helps a bit

Also summer break is coming up and I was at cross roads whether I should take additional science classes (ornothology/herbology or begin some community service work. I haven't really been involved with any of that during my high school year but people have been telling me that it helps a bit

Do you go to Hogwarts? :D

I would take an easier science class over the summer and do a few hours of volunteering per week as well. Make sure the science class you choose is designated a biology, chemistry, or physics class so it counts towards your science GPA.

Also summer break is coming up and I was at cross roads whether I should take additional science classes (ornothology/herbology) or begin some community service work. I haven't really been involved with any of that during my high school year but people have been telling me that it helps a bit

In regards to activities, you want to build some non-medical volunteer experience and some clinical experience over time. It would be ideal if you could put in at least two hours per week for at least a year for an activity in each category. Alternatively, if you go home for the summer, you could do something in consecutive summers instead of for a year straight. The most important thing is checking these categories off while showing dedication to your activities over time.

Because you mentioned high school, it's important to note that you won't be including high school activities on your application anyway (unless it was something you started in high school and continued through college). So no one will ever know if you were a slacker before you started college or not. If you spent your combined year as a high school student and you were NOT full time in college, I would not consider you a college student during that year and I wouldn't worry about not being super-involved in anything altruistic.

Now, my personal advice would be to avoid taking classes this summer. You didn't do as well as you needed to this year, you've recognized that you need to do better, and that's great. But if I were in your situation, I would want a couple months off to re-evaluate my study habits and maybe volunteer in your community hospital and shadow some docs over the summer. I think that will recharge the batteries and give you some extra motivation for next year.

Also, welcome to SDN! Yes, this is the appropriate forum for any undergraduate or pre-medical student. You will even see some overzealous high schoolers try to post in here sometimes :)

Thanks for the great advice guys! I really appreciate it.

So to get a ball park on how much "motivation" I need... How much hours a day/week would you say that you spend as "free time"? (for hobbies and if lucky... gaming?)

And when would I really need to start thinking about the specific medical career pathway?

This is a really specific answer in regards to your bio class (is it G bio?) but what I've found helped me 100 times over with my g bio classes is that while I read the book, I make up about 3 to 4 well thought out essay questions about the information on the page and write it in the margins. I usually do about 3 or 4 questions per page of text. I then highlight or mark the areas with the answers in the text. When i want to review, i flip through my book, open my computer, see a question and type it out. If i get stuck, i write what i remember then refer to the highlighted area for help. I don't erase my old work but highlight the wrong areas and start over so I can track my progress as well as where I went wrong. When I do this, it helps me because creating a strong essay question (think of how your professor would ask it) helps you recognize important information and writing them as essays (compare/contrast, explain then diagram etc) helps you get more prepared. Write them in the margins of your book to keep them with the information, and jot short answer questions as you read. I used to just read the book meet and never spent time extracting information which is the hard part. I've been doing this for awhile now and I've gotten to a point where i can read the book and recognize/make essay questions that are almost verbatim the exam questions. By the time the exam rolls around I've already practiced my answer. It takes a long time, but it works for me. Keep your head up and figure out what study habits work best for you! Good luck!! :)

Okay. it can be done.

I started at undergrad witha 2.9, graduated with a 3.5, and just got in this year. It's not impossible to do. (I;'m not trying to brag, but I'm just telling you that it isn't impossible, and you're not sunk.) I'd recommend figuring out what your study habits are, to learn to be efficient while studying. When I tutored people, I realized that a lot of people are very inefficient with their time, and they moan/groan about getting a D on a test because they spent hundreds of hours studying for it. Not saying I haven't been there myself, but I did learn that being efficient with time is very important. For example, I personally can't stay focused enough for solid returns after two hrs of studying. So i take a break. then promise to come back, and fufill that promise to slug it out for another two hrs.

Get involved, try volunteering at a hospital over the summer. See if its something you like to do. This also meaning interacting with the patients you see there. I felt grades improved when I knew what I was getting myself into, and I had the experience/exposure to prove it. I think when it happens, it matters to you "personally" rather than by external factors, such as money, prestige, etc. But then again a lot of people are solely motivated by those factors and do fine getting in. :smuggrin:

@Ashley1989

The problem with my G bio class was that the teacher wanted to be "open" with the questions.. and gave us a biological "story" in which we write down words that fit the description/situation but apparently there are "many different possible answers" yet the graders are looking for very very specific answers which i never seem to get... although learning about evolution, creationism, and the interesting survival tactics of insects were interesting... I'm very glad to be done with that class... (I've never really understood why that class average was >70%... is that normal?)

@Alejandro

Actually I realize that my main weakness is lack of motivation... I am sure I want to get into medical/bio science but I am really unsure of exactly what I want to do... I hate most of my classes and I really dislike the teachers... As a student who entered college late, I feel as if I'm an odd person out and I'm having a really difficult time fitting in (yea I'm a total hermit). I am also highly inefficient with my time because I am very easily distracted... I would diagnose myself as ADHD but then I'm convinced I'm also a hypochondriac (does this make me a hypochrondriac to think that?) I've known from the start that this year wouldn't be a great year getting back into education but really when you look at the grade in ink, it kind of hit me hard.

Ours was similar (from what I'm understanding yours was?) we were given essay questions that itself also were questions, meaning if you didn't fully understand the topic you would write an essay on the wrong thing and receive a zero on that essay, and the exams were essay only. Many people got the "question within the question" wrong and although they knew what they were talking about in the essay, it was the wrong answer. Then the answer key has "buzzer words" so to speak meaning in the essay the professor wrote each keyword, idea, etc is worth a point and that's how its graded. To be honest, I loved it and would take essays over multiple choice any day, but it could get stressful. Did you professor curve anything?

Oh wow, I just now understand what you said your exams were like. A fill in the blank story... Yeah, I would hate that so sorry :-(

Last edited:
I realize I might have read your % wrong and I'm on my phone so I can't edit, but are you asking if above 70% is normal? It should be, but for my class it wasn't (although my class has been kind of laughed at for doing so badly this year) I didn't find the content or exams to be hard, it's figuring out what the professor wants from you, that's been the biggest challenge.

Last edited:
He is kidding, but that is how a lot of the regular posters on SDN will treat you. Try to spend a lot more time reading SDN than you spend posting, and you will learn a lot about the process of getting into med school.

Limit your time on SDN or you will drive yourself completely nuts thinking you need a 4.1 GPA, 46U MCAT score, have to single-handedly cure cancer, and hand-build a world-class hospital in Africa to even have a chance at admission.

Remember that no one here knows you personally, so don't take anything said personally.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAIT A SECOND!!!

Are you telling me I did all that for nothing!??!??!?!?

Well I am thoroughly confused about what kind of advice OP came here for.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Oops sorry haha I mean <70... and it wasn't essay questions. I feel as though I'd have done better if they had been... They were fill in the blank questions where I'd insert the key words in the "story" that was our test.. for example he'd have a paragraph about a function/pathway/something about the topic and I'd fill in keywords as he jumped about the 5 chapters we went over that week and 15 chapters every 2 weeks :'(

Well hopefully you have a new professor now, right? There will be some professors who might not test in a way that works best for you, but that doesn't mean you're incapable in any way!! It also doesn't mean there's something wrong with the professor or that it's their fault of course, it just wasn't a good match. You still have a great shot, and the fact that you're making an active effort to change and figure things out during your freshmen year will go a long way :)

And by the way, our class average was almost always below 70%

First of all - LOVE THIS THREAD SDN at its finest, with minimal trolling, sarcasm, and defeatism!
OP (yes original poster thats you lol idk if you read other forums): I had a hard time adjusting to college as well. Although my situation was a little different - I was coming from a small private hs where I was the biggest fish in the pond to one of the largest universities in the nation...kinda hard to fit in find my niche and adjust - then to add insult to injury I had to drop my first semester pretty early due to MONO (yay! my own hole with my 18 credits of withdrawal + kinda an awkward thing to explain to admins)...kidna led to feeling a bit alienated with the rest of the student population - but it does get better...
FOR ME in bio I had to learn to be an ACTIVE reader/learner. It wasnt enough anymore to just read over the material once or twice, or listen to the lecturer. Regardless if there was homework assigned, I had to learn how to make my own to make the material stick - one poster above talks about writting essays about the material which is a good first step to try. Make flashcards, write your own test questions to take before the actual test, dont just highlight - make webs, charts, tables, use up whole chalkboards making the information connect to each other. Find out what works for you. I didnt do great my first semester, and I didnt ever manage to do great in certain areas (ORGO BLEH) but I managed to pull it up to a 3.7 (3.4 sGPA) and get into several MD programs this year. YOU CAN DO IT half the battle is figuring out what works for YOU!

I see... thank you for all your advice everyone. It's clear to me that I obviously just didn't put enough effort in. Haha. It seems I need to let studying take my soul before I have a chance at pre-med Q_Q