Panoptic

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katalio

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all those OD students/OD out there,

I've heard both pros/cons regarding the PanOptic Ophthalmoscope. I'm wondering if you guys/girls can give me your insights regarding this piece of equipment.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! =)

Cheerz,

Katalio

Members don't see this ad.

My impression of the Panoptic scope is that it is very similar to the old AO monocular indirect or MIO. For the price of about 600-700 bucks I the view is better than a direct ophthalmic scope. I use a 90D on the slit lamp, and the 28D and 20D for the BIO, and hardly ever use the direct O’scope or the MIO. The W/A sales rep. did his best to get me to purchase one, but just couldn’t see spending that amount on equipment that I may occasionally use, and is almost the same as my MIO. If you feel that you need one I would look on E-bay. There are many new ones going any for about 4-500bucks.

Hey Katalio,

I was wondering exactly the same thing last week. I decided to go with Heine instead, but it was an intriguing piece of equipment.

I know that I might like to focus on peds some day, but I didn't really like the WA equipment that much and I didn't think it was worth the extra $$ for a scope that I likely won't be using much, won't be able to use on boards and whose use might keep me from becoming proficient with the tradional direct.

I didn't get to try it much, but I wasn't very impressed with the image and the magnification isn't really very high, thats why it has such a wide angle...give a little, take a little.

However, I think if I had wanted WA scopes regardless than I would have defiately have selected it since its only about an extra $250 for the package.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hye jefguth,

yeah, I've heard both side of the story. Some say its' not worth it coz we won't use it much after we graduate etc etc; however, some say it's worth it because it's newer technology, and we won't have to get super close to the patient as that might give them pressure or uneasiness.

I actually tried the panoptic today at my friend's house. The image surely looked bigger but I didn't think it was 5x as big tho.

Well, let's see how it goes!

rpie said:
My impression of the Panoptic scope is that it is very similar to the old AO monocular indirect or MIO. For the price of about 600-700 bucks I the view is better than a direct ophthalmic scope. I use a 90D on the slit lamp, and the 28D and 20D for the BIO, and hardly ever use the direct O’scope or the MIO. The W/A sales rep. did his best to get me to purchase one, but just couldn’t see spending that amount on equipment that I may occasionally use, and is almost the same as my MIO. If you feel that you need one I would look on E-bay. There are many new ones going any for about 4-500bucks.

I feel the MIO is vastly superior to the Panoptic especially for Peds. Much easier to get and maintain a view and I find that the is view better. I'm jealous that you own an MIO I should start searching for a used one. They should really start making them again.

I love my panoptic...esp when I don't dilate and the 90D is not giving me great views....I used my panoptic on each of my patients during my peds rotation. :)