Pants suit or skirt suit for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowtoday

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, fellas. Which is better for interview. Pants suit like this or skirt suit like this? Pants suit are a little coservative to me. But it would be more comfortable to walk around in all day. Skirt suit is still attractive to me. So how do I choose?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, fellas. Which is better for interview. Pants suit like this or skirt suit like this? Pants suit are a little coservative to me. But it would be more comfortable to walk around in all day. Skirt suit is still attractive to me. So how do I choose?

All the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the interview in a cold state or a warm state? For me, I would choose the pants even though I wouldn't feel as attractive. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about panty hose or any of that and would be warm while trudging through the snow.

Actually, on second thought, for my interviews I will go in my sexy nurse outfit (see profile). :D

I think skirt suits are a little more common, so I think skirt suits would generally be preferable.

It absolutely doesn't matter.

The best thing you can do is pick the outfit that you feel best in, because if you feel great then you will be confident.

And if you're brave, wear something that isn't black.

I wore a tan suit and recently started wearing a steal blue suit (med school interviews and now my residency interviews. EVERY (YES, LITERALLY EVERY) interview I have been on in that time I was complimented by either a coordinator or interviewer for not wearing black. There is nothing wrong with black at a med school interview (although technically in the business world its not appropriate daytime wear) but if you like a different color (grey, brown, blue, etc) then go for it! You'll stand out - in a good way.

I think skirt suits are a little more common, so I think skirt suits would generally be preferable.

Actually on the interview trail the most common thing worn by women is black pant suits.

I think you should definitely go and try on a bunch of each different kind. I always thought I would be infinitely more comfortable in a pants suit, and that there was no doubt that I would get one for interviews. However, when I started trying them on, I realized pants suits fit me weirdly, and I kept trying to mess with it...and when I put the skirt suit on I felt really professional and mature. It is really hard to tell until you try them on. I don't think it matters (in the eyes of anyone else but you) but you want to be there in whatever feels more comfortable to you, because if you are uncomfortable it is going to translate to how you answer questions/your physicality during interviews, and you don't want anything taking away from the validity of your answers.

Actually on the interview trail the most common thing worn by women is black pant suits.

So a skirt suit would be good to stand out. Taking that logic further, how about a track suit? But seriously, go with the skirt suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not buy a suit coat that comes with both a skirt and pants. Even though you might generally wear a skirt suit, if you interview in a state with sub-zero temperatures, you'll appreciate that you had the second choice. Also, if you are like many, you're highly likely to use the same suit for residency interviews, so don't get something too trendy.

So a skirt suit would be good to stand out. Taking that logic further, how about a track suit? But seriously, go with the skirt suit.
Well, you don't want to stand out. Ever see a guy at an interview not wear a tie, or not wear a suit, and look professional? Though I've seen significantly more women not wearing suits than men on the interview trail.

And regarding women's suits it's honestly it's not even something I paid attention to, I just thought I saw some more skirt suits. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe skirt suits are considered more conservative. And I agree with Catalystik. I'm a guy, but no reason to be uncomfortable the day of the interview to look slightly more professional at best.

Someone else already linked you the women's interview clothing thread, but I'll answer your question here anyway. :)

It absolutely doesn't matter.

The best thing you can do is pick the outfit that you feel best in, because if you feel great then you will be confident.

And if you're brave, wear something that isn't black.

I wore a tan suit and recently started wearing a steal blue suit (med school interviews and now my residency interviews. EVERY (YES, LITERALLY EVERY) interview I have been on in that time I was complimented by either a coordinator or interviewer for not wearing black. There is nothing wrong with black at a med school interview (although technically in the business world its not appropriate daytime wear) but if you like a different color (grey, brown, blue, etc) then go for it! You'll stand out - in a good way.

I completely agree with all of this. Personally, I wanted a grey suit but I wound up liking a pinstriped black one best, so I went with that. Even if you do wind up liking a black suit, you can definitely wear a colored shirt underneath for a pop of color. I had a fuschia/magenta kind of shell under my jacket.

Why not buy a suit coat that comes with both a skirt and pants. Even though you might generally wear a skirt suit, if you interview in a state with sub-zero temperatures, you'll appreciate that you had the second choice. Also, if you are like many, you're highly likely to use the same suit for residency interviews, so don't get something too trendy.

This is a great option if you find something you like.

I settled for a pant suit because I will be walking around campus on interview day. I really like the look of skirt suits though.

I really, really wanted a suit that was not black; however, the one that I felt best in was black. It was separates and I can go get the skirt if I want and probably will.

What is the opinion on women not wearing a button up shirt. I have looked far and wide for a button-up shirt that does not look bulky and terrible under my suit and have had no luck. They tend to gape or look overly large. I have always had difficulty finding button-ups that fit properly everywhere. And I know they would make me nervous during the interview. Plus, I find that white and other pastel-ish colors are not flattering on me.

What I am thinking of wearing under my suit is a silky red sleeveless shirt (of course I will not be taking off my jacket). The shirt has some pattern on it in black and white but is mostly red. The jacket has three buttons so you really don't see much of the shirt, just a little at the top of the jacket.

I have been mulling over this for the last week or two. I have interviews next week.

I settled for a pant suit because I will be walking around campus on interview day. I really like the look of skirt suits though.

I really, really wanted a suit that was not black; however, the one that I felt best in was black. It was separates and I can go get the skirt if I want and probably will.

What is the opinion on women not wearing a button up shirt. I have looked far and wide for a button-up shirt that does not look bulky and terrible under my suit and have had no luck. They tend to gape or look overly large. I have always had difficulty finding button-ups that fit properly everywhere. And I know they would make me nervous during the interview. Plus, I find that white and other pastel-ish colors are not flattering on me.

What I am thinking of wearing under my suit is a silky red sleeveless shirt (of course I will not be taking off my jacket). The shirt has some pattern on it in black and white but is mostly red. The jacket has three buttons so you really don't see much of the shirt, just a little at the top of the jacket.

I have been mulling over this for the last week or two. I have interviews next week.
Thats fine. Its called a shell. Perfectly acceptable.

So pant suits is the way to go??

If you would feel awkward being different than the other women then yes black pant suit would be the way to go. That is the most common. It does not mean its the most appropriate.

I think a Skirt Suit is more professional than a pants suit :)

It looks my professional and it doesn't show your figure as much as a pants suit does :)
I always wear a Full Skirt Suit to my interviews :). And I ALWAYS GET THE JOB!!

As other people have commented, you have to go with the suit that you feel the most confident in! If it happens to be a black suit, it's worth it to sacrifice a bit of "standing out power" because your self-confidence is what's most important on interview day.

Same thing goes for skirt vs. pants. I wore a pantsuit and am soooooo happy that I did! Why? Because it's not my personality to wear a skirt suit! I like to be comfortable and I find my pantsuit to be beautiful-looking AND extremely comfortable ('twas a charcoal suit with a lavender dress shirt).

It will be very important to try on your suits. Also, if you can, go with a wool-blend suit. They look much more professional than polyester suits, IMHO.

~Kalyx

I went with the pantsuit for a couple of reasons:

1. I didnt know where I would be interviewing in the winter so pants took care of that problem.

2. I'm short but not THAT short so when I tried sitting down in the petite skirts they rose to what I felt were inappropriate lengths (standing they were knee length). Therefore I didn't need to worry about it with the pants. Just a thought.

I also wore a purple shell under my charcoal gray suit. The combination was quite pretty.

Skirt all the way. The shorter , the better even. If you have a great you know what, its a +++ at interviews.

I wore a gray pant suit to most of my interviews. I ran into 3 people wearing the same exact suit -- two of them in the shirt suit version. The girls in the shirt suit version looked alot chubbier/bigger/worse (the skirt just didn't look good)... so I was glad I went with the pants. Then again, I hate skirts (unless they are super short jean skirts)... so I could be biased.

I think pant suits are more professional. Less to worry about too. You don't want to be that girl with the torn pantyhose OR the one that everyone notices when she sits down because it rides wayyyyy up (which I have seen at many interviews).....

I have an interview tomorrow in a really cold/snowy city, so I was wondering what you guys thought about wearing thick, solid black tights under a black skirt. Thanks!

Shirt suit all the way. Still professional but way more attractive

I have an interview tomorrow in a really cold/snowy city, so I was wondering what you guys thought about wearing thick, solid black tights under a black skirt. Thanks!
As long as they are under the skirt (you can't see them -- like biker shorts or those shorts that tuck in your tummy) and don't effect the look of the skirt, you are a-OK.

The honest answer: If you're on the skinny side, especially with a nice butt, pants suit. If you're not, skirt suit. Nice legs are a toss up between the two--your interview skirt shouldn't be showing THAT much leg anyway.

Last edited:
I've been trying to decide the same thing...

For me, shoes have generally been a big factor. With skirts your footwear style options tend to be a bit more limited, and I have found it easier to find shoes that are both comfortable to wear all day and good for winter conditions that match pants suits.

As to style, I don't think either gives you a definite advantage. I've seen people arguing both ways on SDN and the split seems 50/50 and when I asked my mom who works in business, she thinks that overall style (ie. something attractive, but not too revealing or "party-like," put-together-looking, etc) is a lot more important than skirt versus pants. Choose whichever makes you feel most confident.

Shirt suit?? Any pics??

dee-ricky-lwt-tees-front-540x360-500x333.jpg

The honest answer: If you're on the skinny side, especially with a nice butt, pants suit. If you're not, skirt suit. Nice legs are a toss up between the two--your interview skirt shouldn't be showing THAT much leg anyway.

Totally agree. Nothing makes a girl with a nice caboose look good like slacks. DAYUM.

if you're going to wear a skirt suit, don't wear something that comes to your mid-thigh. Yes, i've seen this happen at interviews...don't know what they were thinking.