paper based part 1 in july!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if there are people preparing for the paper based exam in july? Thought i will start a thread for those who are planning to take the exam then. We can keep in touch & discuss doubts etc.4 months to go!!!! :thumbup:
Rhia.

Members don't see this ad.

Rhia said:
Hi,
I was wondering if there are people preparing for the paper based exam in july? Thought i will start a thread for those who are planning to take the exam then. We can keep in touch & discuss doubts etc.4 months to go!!!! :thumbup:
Rhia.
hi rhia i am preparing for paper based exam in july... i'am studying physio what about u?

docsj said:
hi rhia i am preparing for paper based exam in july... i'am studying physio what about u?
Hi,
I am doing pathology/microbiology now. Done with physio-biochem.
I don't remember much, those subjects seem tough!!!
How about you? how many subjects have you done?what materials are you using?
Rhia

Members don't see this ad :)
Rhia said:
Hi,
I am doing pathology/microbiology now. Done with physio-biochem.
I don't remember much, those subjects seem tough!!!
How about you? how many subjects have you done?what materials are you using?
Rhia
hey i am also appearing in july .....done with my micro-path ........doing my decks for them .how u guys are preparing ? i am in chicago .where u guys are from
sj

sjchand said:
hey i am also appearing in july .....done with my micro-path ........doing my decks for them .how u guys are preparing ? i am in chicago .where u guys are from
sj
Hi Sj,
I am in IL too. I am preparing from kaplan & decks as of now ...how about you?
keep in touch.

hey rhia and schand! im in IL too! planning to take part 1 but cant decide between CBT and paper based. havent started studying yet but planning to appear in June or July. what study material are you guys using?

asj said:
hey rhia and schand! im in IL too! planning to take part 1 but cant decide between CBT and paper based. havent started studying yet but planning to appear in June or July. what study material are you guys using?
hi , i am reading kaplan + decks .......
and will do asda papers later on

Hi,
Have any of you registered for the test yet? if not when are you planning to register?

hey Rhia!
Thanks a ton!! :thumbup:
That was a very informative link with everything given in a really concise manner.
I havent started micro yet but im sure its gonna help me a lot when i do!

Btw, have you applied for the exam yet?

asj said:
hey Rhia!
Thanks a ton!! :thumbup:
That was a very informative link with everything given in a really concise manner.
I havent started micro yet but im sure its gonna help me a lot when i do!

Btw, have you applied for the exam yet?
hi asj,
i am planning to apply sometime in may, the deadlines are around end of may right? Don't know if it is advisable to apply in may or should i apply earlier....cause i prefer chicago as the center....
nothing decided as of now....but definitely will apply in may....even i was in a dilemma whether to take CBT or paper based....a couple of my friends suggested paper based ...they took it last july, so i thought i might as well stick to it:)
Rhia

:( hi!
nice to know so many preparing for this exam ,even i am taking the exam but i have planned to take the CBT , i donot understand why so many people are afraid to take the CBT.

QUOTE=Rhia]hi asj,
i am planning to apply sometime in may, the deadlines are around end of may right? Don't know if it is advisable to apply in may or should i apply earlier....cause i prefer chicago as the center....
nothing decided as of now....but definitely will apply in may....even i was in a dilemma whether to take CBT or paper based....a couple of my friends suggested paper based ...they took it last july, so i thought i might as well stick to it:)
Rhia[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Can anyone help me with this question...its from one of the old papers...
Patients with which of the following malignancies have poorest prognosis?
A. lung cancer
B. malignant melanoma
C. Pancreatic carcinoma
D. carcinoma of colon
E. Sqamous carcinoma of tongue

Than answer given is C. i thought since lung cancer is the most common cause of death then that should be the one with poorest prognosis!!!!

Can anyone give the resaon why C is the answer...
Thank you in advance!
Rhia

Members don't see this ad :)
inder said:
:( hi!
nice to know so many preparing for this exam ,even i am taking the exam but i have planned to take the CBT , i donot understand why so many people are afraid to take the CBT.

Hi inder,
Its not about being afraid to take CBT, its more about personal preference...i don't think CBT is easy or paper based....i think tis the same...only thing is i cannot sit in front of the computer for 8 hrs!!!:) thats why i chose paper based....
Rhia

Rhia said:
hi asj,
Rhia
hi rhia the deadline for july paper is 27 th may ............i think you should register in april because it takes 10 -15 days for admit card or whatever stuff to reach us ..........i suppose i am gonna do the same thing ............
and thks for the informative link .......hows your prep going on ?
bye sj

[

HELLO RHIA,
i think u only gave the answer to the question in the question it says poorest diagnosis then answer C is coorect. and you are talking about prognosis.

QUOTE=Rhia]Hi,
Can anyone help me with this question...its from one of the old papers...
Patients with which of the following malignancies have poorest diagnosis?
A. lung cancer
B. malignant melanoma
C. Pancreatic carcinoma
D. carcinoma of colon
E. Sqamous carcinoma of tongue

Than answer given is C. i thought since lung cancer is the most common cause of death then that should be the one with poorest prognosis!!!!

Can anyone give the resaon why C is the answer...
Thank you in advance!
Rhia[/QUOTE]

hello rhia,
u are talking about prognosis but the question it is talking about diagnosis, if it is poorest diagnosis the answer C is correct

inder said:
hello rhia,
u are talking about prognosis but the question it is talking about diagnosis, if it is poorest diagnosis the answer C is correct
Hi inder,
ooops!! sorry that was a typo.... :oops:
the question is actually for prognosis!!! i have made the change in the question now.......

Rhia

Rhia said:
Hi,
Rhia.

Hi!
I am a Dentist trained in India, and was hoping I could take my NBDEI this July. But I havent gotten any material yet.... am I too late????

saladi said:
Hi!
I am a Dentist trained in India, and was hoping I could take my NBDEI this July. But I havent gotten any material yet.... am I too late????

no.. u still have time to get ure study material , studya nd give the exam....

Hi guys!

Hope your studies going well.
I am also preparing for july to take NBDE 1.Do you think i have time to prepare for NBDE 2 in September.Isn¸t it too close.

BTW, I just started preparation for NBDE 1 and i am nervous because it is going slowly.

All the best!

degol said:
Hi guys!

Hope your studies going well.
I am also preparing for july to take NBDE 1.Do you think i have time to prepare for NBDE 2 in September.Isn¸t it too close.

BTW, I just started preparation for NBDE 1 and i am nervous because it is going slowly.

All the best!
hi degol,
Welcome to the group....
Don't worry about the prep going slow...initially it will be so, but gradually you will pick up......we have 4 months to go....so don't worry.
:thumbup: goodluck with your prep.

rhia

toothie said:
no.. u still have time to get ure study material , studya nd give the exam....

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

Rhia said:
hi degol,
Welcome to the group....
Don't worry about the prep going slow...initially it will be so, but gradually you will pick up......we have 4 months to go....so don't worry.
:thumbup: goodluck with your prep.

rhia
hi guys
i am preparing to take part 1 , but i have no idea where should i start... i have been away from books for 7 years...had my own buisness..failed so i am stuck to be a dentist now...anyway..i have a cd with kaplans on it ..but i would like to read from the real book..any body have it??? if so , i will buy it..i am taking tha CBT...i applied to UPENN this year ...they asked me to repeat my part 1 since my score in the first 1 was 85....so......confused, guys....i guess i am gonna have to go for it..dentistry sucks but its all about the money in it....correct me if i am wrong guys....

appreciate any response....good luck guys

Rhia said:
Hi,
Rhia.

hi
i am giving the paper based in july... i am in san diego.. am really tensed bout the exam!!!
ana

ana29 said:
hi
i am giving the paper based in july... i am in san diego.. am really tensed bout the exam!!!
ana
hi,welcome to the group, don't worry i think most of us are all tensed.. :oops:
But take it easy, we have time.....how much have you done? just put in some hard work & i think you should be good to go... :)
take care & good luck with your prep :thumbup:
if you need help in anything you can always turn to SDn & this thread
rhia

am4leida said:
hi guys
i am preparing to take part 1 , but i have no idea where should i start... i have been away from books for 7 years...had my own buisness..failed so i am stuck to be a dentist now...anyway..i have a cd with kaplans on it ..but i would like to read from the real book..any body have it??? if so , i will buy it..i am taking tha CBT...i applied to UPENN this year ...they asked me to repeat my part 1 since my score in the first 1 was 85....so......confused, guys....i guess i am gonna have to go for it..dentistry sucks but its all about the money in it....correct me if i am wrong guys....

Hi,
Sad to see the word "dentistry sucks!!" :( and that you see dentistry just a way of earning money :( .....well, i love my profession....I think its really good.....it takes a lot to get back to dentistry here in U.S.....so much of competition...but i think its worth all the pain...because i feel dentistry rules :) :thumbup: not for the money....but its a great profession by itself......anyway, that my personal opinion......each one is entitled for one i guess.
As far as books are concerned...i think you can check the sale & advertisement link in SDN...
:thumbup: good luck
rhia

am4leida said:
hi guys

am4leida
I appreciate your honesty and your frank statements on what you feel about dentistry
If you think that you are taking dentistry only for the money, than I can see that your future as a dentist will be just like your business, you are going to fail!!!, sad, but it is true
from your post you imply that you hate dentistry so much(dentistry sucks) and still want to pursue it because you think you will make a lot of money
you gotta love your profession or you are never going to be happy
my suggestion is please do a deep thinking and ask yourself what makes you happy, what is your passion!!,
you can only be successful in your proffession if you have some passion towards that proffession,
even if you become a dentist, you will never be happy because you don't love it, so think over it
anyways ,I didn't want to discourage you, but was just trying to help you out
good luck

i agree with rhia and nimesh!
dont be pessimistic.....for all you know u might enjoy studying dentistry in US and actually start loving it!!

Hi there,I am also planning to take exam in july. It will be great if we can discuss 1 paper of previous exam every week.

ana29 said:
hi
ana
hi ana
i'm new to this thread
i'm too planning to take my exam in july
i too stay in san diego.

hi...
well if u think dentistry is all about money then I think u are quite wrong.I know its a lot of money in this profession but if u dont like wat u are doing and just doing it for the heck of money I am sure there will be a day when u would start hating it too.cause u are doing it without interest.
wat ever u do u should have an interest in it.or else it becomes a big burden that u would be carrying on ur shoulders.
so my honest opinion is that u should think with a cool mind is it wat u really like,wat u wanna be and wanna persue.and then go for it.believe me once u start with this profession,u would find it so challenging an interesting with new kind a patients coming to u everyday.and the respect and love u will get from all of them after u treat them well and a satisfaction u will get by the end of the day will be far more than any kinda money.
wat does everyone think about this

saladi said:
Hi!
no,u r not late. i took the exam last july.started preparing in the mid of april.u have sufficient time to prepare.but get the material asap.good luck for ur exam :thumbup:

ree said:
Hi there,I am also planning to take exam in july. It will be great if we can discuss 1 paper of previous exam every week.
Hi.
Well, thats a good idea :thumbup: , but i don't think its possible for everyone to do the same stuff, so let each one do the papers at their own pace, but post any doubts or clarifications required....that way we can help each other.
rhia

pearly said:
hi ana
i'm new to this thread
i'm too planning to take my exam in july
i too stay in san diego.

hey thats great,
all the best with ur studies?
how much have u completed as yet?ana

Rhia said:
hi,welcome to the group, don't worry i think most of us are all tensed.. :oops:
But take it easy, we have time.....how much have you done? just put in some hard work & i think you should be good to go... :)
take care & good luck with your prep :thumbup:
if you need help in anything you can always turn to SDn & this thread
rhia

thanks rhia,
i am stryggling with biochem and physio at the moment.. i think they r the most difficult subjects.. pretty volatile too!!
ana

Rhia said:
Hi,
Rhia.
Hi Rhia I also intend on taking the exam in july I have started out with physiology and biochem.......

here's one more - to join the race to give part-1 in july-touch wood.
I've started with anatomy-kapln review material.
but the dilemma continues- CBT/ Paper based. :confused:
good luck to all.

ReddY. :luck:

Hi,
How is preparation going? how much has everyone done? anyone working out papers yet?well, there is a confusion about people telling there is going to be a change in the paper format this summer......i wanted to clarify this, i called the ada & spoke to someone there, they told me they do not know of any change in the paper format & that we would be informed if there is.
So looks like we are gonna have the same format this july too! :thumbup:
So all the best, concentrate & study well :thumbup:
i am almost done with micro path now, gotta start DA & anat.
bye for now
rhia

Hey, I noticed that some of you are taking the Kaplan course. Can you please tell me how that's going? And also do you feel it's worth all of the money? Are you using the Prep Course and/or the Q-bank? What are you finding is most helpful for you? Thanks in advance for your responses!

nimeshshingala said:
am4leida
I appreciate your honesty and your frank statements on what you feel about dentistry
If you think that you are taking dentistry only for the money, than I can see that your future as a dentist will be just like your business, you are going to fail!!!, sad, but it is true
from your post you imply that you hate dentistry so much(dentistry sucks) and still want to pursue it because you think you will make a lot of money
you gotta love your profession or you are never going to be happy
my suggestion is please do a deep thinking and ask yourself what makes you happy, what is your passion!!,
you can only be successful in your proffession if you have some passion towards that proffession,
even if you become a dentist, you will never be happy because you don't love it, so think over it
anyways ,I didn't want to discourage you, but was just trying to help you out
good luck

hi,
i deeply appreciate the advice...very nice of you guys...but SADLY,none of you know what i went through to get to this point !! in any scinario, the question remains : is there anything in life specially in the USA that doesnt focus or lead to MONEY...? correct me if i am wrong !! there is a difference between " DENTISTRY SUCKS" AND " I HATE DENTISTRY" ...dont you agree?
i doNOT hate it but the field in general sucks.... not much creativity,or imagination....and by the way, can you survive and pay your bills by just loving what you doing??and if my buisness failed, at least i have the guts to go for it..you learn from your own mistakes....so forget about all that...WOULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME OUT TO START SOMEWHERE?? books , links to websites....cd's anything....?
guys no offense intended...thank you for everything....

HI frnds i'm also planning to appear in july. like to join u all,but i've just started wid physiology, done few chapters and trying to collec the material.I'm in philly.is anybody there who is preparing.
bye

Hi guys!!

Hope you are doing well!

I am studying anatomy.Have Kaplan and Decks.
It is going relatively slowly.What do you think about my plan:
april - physiology - biochemistry
may - micro - patho
june - dental occlusion
july - until exam reviewing everything

Do I have any chance to make it?

And one other thing, what do you think about the time to prepare for NBDE II?
Everyone says that it is easier,I agree, but am planning to do it in october.Do you think its realistic?

Keep it going!!!!

degol said:
Hi guys!!

Hope you are doing well!

I am studying anatomy.Have Kaplan and Decks.
It is going relatively slowly.What do you think about my plan:
april - physiology - biochemistry
may - micro - patho
june - dental occlusion
july - until exam reviewing everything

Do I have any chance to make it?

And one other thing, what do you think about the time to prepare for NBDE II?
Everyone says that it is easier,I agree, but am planning to do it in october.Do you think its realistic?

Keep it going!!!!
Hi Degol,
Did you just start with your prep? Initially it does go slow....even i am studying from the same materials.....just done with DA, it took only about 4 days. Going to start anatomy now.
3 more months to go.....
howz everyone's prep coming up?
keep in touch guys,
We can encourage each other & prepare well :thumbup:
bye for now
Rhia

hi!
Everyone has been so silent for a long time. howz preparations coming up? 3 more months to go. i am doing anatomy now.....
keep in touch guys!
:thumbup:
rhia

Rhia said:
hi!
Everyone has been so silent for a long time. howz preparations coming up? 3 more months to go. i am doing anatomy now.....
keep in touch guys!
:thumbup:
rhia

Hi everyone,
I have some concerns. Can someone tell me when is the date for the paperbased partI in July? Usually for how long we will receive the result? I know that it takes exactly 8weeks if we take it in December because I did, and that because this time has a big holiday which is Christmas.

Another concern is that if we want to retake the exam again, is there any time strict that permits us to retake only after that time? I mean like in Toefl, we can only take the exam once in a calendar month.
Thanks for all the replies. Candies.

candies said:
Hi everyone,
I have some concerns. Can someone tell me when is the date for the paperbased partI in July? Usually for how long we will receive the result? I know that it takes exactly 8weeks if we take it in December because I did, and that because this time has a big holiday which is Christmas.

Another concern is that if we want to retake the exam again, is there any time strict that permits us to retake only after that time? I mean like in Toefl, we can only take the exam once in a calendar month.
Thanks for all the replies. Candies.
hi candies,
the paper based exam is on 11th of july. you can check the details in the ada web site. I know that for computer based you are allowed to retest only after 90 days .i guess since paper based is offered only twice a year they have not mentioned any restrictions like that.
as far as the results are concerned it should come in 6- 8 weeks for paper based.
how was your experience with the paper based last december? would be great if you could share some info.
rhia

Rhia said:
hi candies,
the paper based exam is on 11th of july. you can check the details in the ada web site. I know that for computer based you are allowed to retest only after 90 days .i guess since paper based is offered only twice a year they have not mentioned any restrictions like that.
as far as the results are concerned it should come in 6- 8 weeks for paper based.
how was your experience with the paper based last december? would be great if you could share some info.
rhia
Hi Rhia,
I took the exam in Dec/2003, more than a year now. I had not prepared well for it but I got a good score, not a high score but a good one, good enough to get interview call from some schools, but not high enough to get admission! Well, I got higher score on Anatomy and Micro, which we did first in the morning and in the afternoon. When it comes to Occlusion, which was the last one on the exam, my mind got jam up, and I used the rest of my time for this one, about 3 hours, I believe, but still didn't do well.
Because I went over the old papers only about 1/3 of them, and no reviewed, so I didn't remember if the questions were repeated. In fact, after the exam I had no clue how it was and how I did do.
So I guess you better prepare well then decide the time to take it, otherwise it's just a waste of time and you have to do over again.
All the best. Candies.

Hi!

I am doing micro at the moment, and will finish in 7 days.After that I will go with patho, and hope to end in 14 days.Of course, by this I mean only reading Kaplan book.After that I will go with dental decks to check out my knowledge for couple of days.

I don't have much time, and am aware of the situation.I am feared of BIO and Physio because that's where i am thin.I reserved May for anathomy and June for BIO and physio.

Rhia, i hope you are doing well.

hi all
looks like u all r giving paper based exam in july .can anybody provide me information regarding examination centers in california, couldnt find it on ada website
thanks reet