Paper or Dry Erase? Tutorial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BWG

BWG
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The DAT is coming soon and I just want to avoid surprises.

Do you receive paper or need to bring your own? Or do you only get a dry erase board?

Also, do you have 15minutes for a tutorial at the start where you can draw out your hole punching grids? The grids work well for me but I just want to be prepared and have the only surprises be the questions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, so they provide paper, not a dry erase board, correct?

Not sure where the heck I read dry erase, but just wanted to be sure i wasn't going to be goofing with one of those.

Thanks, so they provide paper, not a dry erase board, correct?

Not sure where the heck I read dry erase, but just wanted to be sure i wasn't going to be goofing with one of those.
Its not paper; its a laminated sheet of grid paper(at least when I took it last month), and an erasable pen (which doesn't erase too well after 10 minutes). All this may vary depending on where you take it.

I suggest calling your testing center. They will be very willing to give you information.

For mine, they gave me 2 laminated grid. 1 side was graphed and other side was blank. Then a fine tip sharpie, no eraser. They told me that they will replace if you raise your hand for mine.

Last edited:
Most test centers have switched over to wet erase markers and laminated sheets so you can't erase. However, some people have used spit as an effective means since these Prometric ladies are kind of slow at exchanging your sheets. Just make sure you drink some milk or chocolate beforehand as that helps with the gooey phlegm.

I still don't see why they don't let us use paper and pencil like the other exams. I did the Test Drive recently with the same center I'm going to for my DAT, and the staff there was horrible. I saw a student raise their hand for about 5 minutes and no one responded. I'm scared.

the staff at the prometric center is typically not well acclimated with the dat. they probably see 100 kids a week for the GRE and maybe one or two for the dat. your best bet is too really read up on the online info to prepare for procedural things. the only reason you really will need the staff is to check in and check out for breaks and if you have to leave in the middle of your test to use the bathroom. If you have a question regarding any sort of question on the exam they will likely be of no help.

you can always get up and ask them for another sheet, your timer will still be running but at least you won't be waiting at their mercy for a new sheet.

For me, I started off with 2 sheets. During the break, I told them to switch it. Never really had issue with space.

So since the laminated sheets aren't "erasable", should I just go ahead and ask for new ones when I get the chance? Or should I be creative and use my spit? I heard many people had to use spit (lol) to wipe their sheets clean. Seems like spit would save me time..

Why not just ask them for extra sheets at the beginning, explain that you're worried and that you generally use more than a couple of sheets. Be funny and sincere, why would they care?

Why not just ask them for extra sheets at the beginning, explain that you're worried and that you generally use more than a couple of sheets. Be funny and sincere, why would they care?

They only give you 2 sheets at a time as per Prometric policy. I'm sure others have asked before.

Unfortunately these centers are notoriously rigid. I doubt you'll get more than 2. Heck, they may even report you if you stand up...anyone sure walking up front mid exam is okay?

Glad to know about this up front.