1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Paper or Dry Erase? Tutorial?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by BWG, Aug 13, 2011.

1. BWG

BWG BWG
    10+ Year Member

The DAT is coming soon and I just want to avoid surprises.

Do you receive paper or need to bring your own? Or do you only get a dry erase board?

Also, do you have 15minutes for a tutorial at the start where you can draw out your hole punching grids? The grids work well for me but I just want to be prepared and have the only surprises be the questions.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LetsGo2DSchool

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You've been a member since 2004? Did you join SDN during junior high lol?

4. Demps

Dental Student
    I love you bro. I love reading your comments. LOL. gives me a good laugh everyday here and there. good stress relief haha

5. LetsGo2DSchool

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Anytime bro, I'm glad I have a fan club on SDN.

6. BWG

BWG BWG
    10+ Year Member

So does anyone have a productive reply?

7. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Nope, I think LetsGo2DSchool hit the nail on the head.

8. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just kidding. They supply you with everything and you can make grids during the tutorial.

9. BWG

BWG BWG
    10+ Year Member

Thanks, so they provide paper, not a dry erase board, correct?

Not sure where the heck I read dry erase, but just wanted to be sure i wasn't going to be goofing with one of those.

10. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Its not paper; its a laminated sheet of grid paper(at least when I took it last month), and an erasable pen (which doesn't erase too well after 10 minutes). All this may vary depending on where you take it.

11. KyoPhan

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I suggest calling your testing center. They will be very willing to give you information.

For mine, they gave me 2 laminated grid. 1 side was graphed and other side was blank. Then a fine tip sharpie, no eraser. They told me that they will replace if you raise your hand for mine.

#10 KyoPhan, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  12. LetsGo2DSchool

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Most test centers have switched over to wet erase markers and laminated sheets so you can't erase. However, some people have used spit as an effective means since these Prometric ladies are kind of slow at exchanging your sheets. Just make sure you drink some milk or chocolate beforehand as that helps with the gooey phlegm.

13. SLYgUy2098

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I still don't see why they don't let us use paper and pencil like the other exams. I did the Test Drive recently with the same center I'm going to for my DAT, and the staff there was horrible. I saw a student raise their hand for about 5 minutes and no one responded. I'm scared.

14. buckey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    the staff at the prometric center is typically not well acclimated with the dat. they probably see 100 kids a week for the GRE and maybe one or two for the dat. your best bet is too really read up on the online info to prepare for procedural things. the only reason you really will need the staff is to check in and check out for breaks and if you have to leave in the middle of your test to use the bathroom. If you have a question regarding any sort of question on the exam they will likely be of no help.

15. you can always get up and ask them for another sheet, your timer will still be running but at least you won't be waiting at their mercy for a new sheet.

16. KyoPhan

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For me, I started off with 2 sheets. During the break, I told them to switch it. Never really had issue with space.

17. SLYgUy2098

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So since the laminated sheets aren't "erasable", should I just go ahead and ask for new ones when I get the chance? Or should I be creative and use my spit? I heard many people had to use spit (lol) to wipe their sheets clean. Seems like spit would save me time..

18. Why not just ask them for extra sheets at the beginning, explain that you're worried and that you generally use more than a couple of sheets. Be funny and sincere, why would they care?

19. LetsGo2DSchool

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    They only give you 2 sheets at a time as per Prometric policy. I'm sure others have asked before.

20. BWG

BWG BWG
    10+ Year Member

Unfortunately these centers are notoriously rigid. I doubt you'll get more than 2. Heck, they may even report you if you stand up...anyone sure walking up front mid exam is okay?

Glad to know about this up front.