paragraphs on mcat writing question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
kaplan advises us to stick to writing a 3 paragraph essay, but if i do that, my paragraphs end up being incredibly long. i also always manage to write so that the first and third paragraph are much longer than the second.

i sent a sample essay to my instructor, and she suggested that i stick to the three paragraph format to make it easier to read. (the assumption is that each paragraph covers one task)

i know this is a really picky question, but does it make a difference if you have 3 vs. 4-6 paragraphs? it seems that more, shorter paragraphs would be easier to read, but idk if that means that graders won't be able to tell which task is being answered in which paragraph.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

They read so many of these things, I'd just stick to a three paragraph format if possible to make their job easy; they won't spend half an hour going through a bunch of paragraphs to ensure you've answered all the tasks correctly. I did a three paragraph design and it turned out great. It probably doesn't matter as long as you're very well-organized, but the three paragraph setup helps ensure that.