Paramedic vs Emergency medicine doctor

Yea, I plan to talk to my school's career/college counselor on mon to see what she has to say.

Wouldn't it be better to get college over with, then go to medic school?

Thats tight, ER docs/PAs working part time as medics.

EM docs and PAs working as medics... I know a few. Probably the only thing holding more of them back from working as a medic is time and money. EMS is the best job ever. If EM docs and PAs had more free time, and didn't need money, Im sure more of them would keep their medic jobs part time. The other issue is - in some locations its not possible to work as a medic only PT. You'll need at least one FT gig to keep your credentials current.

See the career counselor.

I think its definitely a good idea to get through college first. You might find some medic programs which you can do at the same time as your college classes. But I wouldn't even think of that unless youre sure that you can handle a full college courseload.

If you did medic school first, you'd then be looking for a job and building up your resume in that area.... you'd end up getting sidetracked from college.

Members don't see this ad.

vasca, that's quite interesting!

I'm going to see the career counselor sometime this week or next...hope I will get good advice!

mathlegend,

Ten years later, I'm interested to hear how this went? Did you go for an EMT-B? Med school? Where are you now?

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to be an EMT first and see if you want to go paramedic.

I am an EMT and while it's very fun I would rather not do this as a career.

Edit: just saw how old the post is. Frankly I like resurrected post to see where they are now.. Ik some people frown upon it tho

My advice is to be an EMT first and see if you want to go paramedic.

I am an EMT and while it's very fun I would rather not do this as a career.

Edit: just saw how old the post is. Frankly I like resurrected post to see where they are now.. Ik some people frown upon it tho

Because if you look, the OP hasn’t been on SDN since 2012.