77deuce

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I have 5 letter writers (1 Committee and 4 profs). I know that the committee letter and 2 of my profs will give good letters. 2 of the other profs were kinda shady when we were talking about letters of rec.

Should I just not use the letters from the shady profs? The 3 good letters I have meet the requirements for most med schools that I will apply to.

Thanks

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Pre-Medical
ya dont use their letters, the risk of a bad letter is not even worth it

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
OK, why do you have a committee letter and individual letters?

OP

77deuce

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
OK, why do you have a committee letter and individual letters?
Which one should I use?

EDIT: To answer your question, my school's advising website says it's good to have both bc the requirements vary by school.

Last edited:
OP

77deuce

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Is there such thing as a school that prefer individual letters instead committee letters ?

ChymeofPassion

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
My school requires 3 science and 2 outside LoR for their committee letter? Do they just make it all into one package or do they draw from the LoR's to write their commitee letter?

Reactions: 77deuce

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Is there such thing as a school that prefer individual letters instead committee letters ?
There are a couple of schools that dont accept committee letters such as Utah. However, on the October 2016 survey of medical schools, AAMC found University of Utah having no preference

Secondary Materials - U of U School of Medicine - | University of Utah
Letters of Recommendation

We require 3 letters of recommendation, but will not accept more than 4. We do not accept premedical committee letters.

AAMC Letter Link
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/d1/80/d18002bf-ce17-4afa-9497-100ed43d4e1d/msar_medical_school_letter_policies.pdf

Reactions: gyngyn and Goro

coldspring

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
I have 5 letter writers (1 Committee and 4 profs). I know that the committee letter and 2 of my profs will give good letters. 2 of the other profs were kinda shady when we were talking about letters of rec.

Should I just not use the letters from the shady profs? The 3 good letters I have meet the requirements for most med schools that I will apply to.

Thanks
Trust your instincts, and don't risk using a less-than-flattering lor.

Lost in Translation

単純な馬鹿でありたい。
2+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2015
最上川
Status
Medical Student
My understanding is that unless the professor has a grudge against you, if a professor doesn't feel like they can write a positive LOR they won't do it. I've read that in most cases meh LORs neither add nor subtract from an application.

Reactions: 77deuce

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
My understanding is that unless the professor has a grudge against you, if a professor doesn't feel like they can write a positive LOR they won't do it. I've read that in most cases meh LORs neither add nor subtract from an application.
Neutral letters hurt.
Do you see any difference between a neutral letter where a professor doesnt seem to lean one way or the other particularly when they would seem to have background with the applicant to do so versus an "uninspired" letter where the professor just didnt have much background to offer an opinion such as having a student in a large lecture class, got a "A" but not much other interaction?