Pardon Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpb80

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure that this question has been addressed thousands of times, but I will ask it again in hopes that you all will be patient w/ me...
In your opinion(s), how would you rank the competitiveness of Carib. schools, INCLUDING the schools in Puerto Rico, and taking into account that schools in PR are LCME
For ex.
1.Ponce
2.Universidad Central del Caribe
3.SGU
4.Ross etc.
Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

1. SGU
2. Ponce
3. Ross

I don't know what the other one is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ponce is not considered a foreign school.......

It is a US school. I met a resident at Penn that thought Ponce was a foreign school. I corrected him and he was a bit bothered.

I told him that Ponce was part of LCME, he never heard of it.

So, any US medical school is better than a foreign school. You can match from it with a greater ease, you want have to be considered a foreign medical graduate. So, if you have a choice stay in the states and that does include schools in Puerto Rico......

ponce and ucc are PR schools, therefore LCME schools.

mig26x said:
ponce and ucc are PR schools, therefore LCME schools.

I'm sorry, but what does it mean to be an LCME school? So Ponce is considered a US med school? Does that mean it would be (generally speaking) easier to get a US residency coming from there as opposed to SGU or Ross? I do not know much about the school. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wahooali said:
I'm sorry, but what does it mean to be an LCME school? So Ponce is considered a US med school? Does that mean it would be (generally speaking) easier to get a US residency coming from there as opposed to SGU or Ross? I do not know much about the school. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Ponce School of Medicine
LCME

i can't remember correctly but i think i did read that for the PR med schools knowing spanish and being fluent is a requirement? just read up before applying so you don't waste money

dartty said:
i can't remember correctly but i think i did read that for the PR med schools knowing spanish and being fluent is a requirement? just read up before applying so you don't waste money

Moreover, I think that PR med schools are no longer taking American students - you should definitely check that out... of course my friend found this out after applying last year and was rejected pre-secondary...

1.SGU
2.AUC
3.Ross
4.Ponce

In my humble opinion

You have a better chance of getting into any US residency from an LCME accredited school (any in Puerto Rico). However, these schools have become quite competitive for people who are not residents of Puerto Rico (Puerto Rican students are American students since PR is an American Territory and its citizens are therefore American Citizens). Not sure of the competitiveness other than that.

And don't look at MCAT score to judge the competitiveness of the Ponce applicants. Remember that these are all native Spanish speakers taking the test in English.

Heliums, what is your rationale for your ranking? You have Ponce ranked last. Everyone knows that coming out of a LCME school is what we strive for. I don't care if you're a foreign medical school graduate in England, it's still better to come out of a school like Ponce. The goal is to avoid being a foreign medical school graduate.

1 Ponce,
2 The Mill schools