Parental contribution and FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to some medical schools that require you to add your parental contribution and some that don't require it. My question is, can I submit my FAFSA without my parental info to the school that doesn't require it, and then edit it adding my parental information to the one that does later on?

Members don't see this ad.

Slickness,
I have this same question. CCOM considers parental information for some of the aid. However, I'll be an independent student for
the FAFSA. I'm totally new to financial aid stuff.

I hope someone can answer this question for us.

Lari

Contact the financial aid office and ask specifically what the school requires. You can start by completing the FAFSA without the parental information and change it later if required. All medical students are considered 'independent' in terms of the federal Stafford loan program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey mpp,
I have one more question. I'm a senior year this year and didn't work. So I didn't get a tax return form or didn't have an expected income. Therefore, if I don't put my parental information, my FAFSA will be pretty much blank and my expected family contribution would propably be zero. Do you know how schools view that?

You should include the parental information on the FAFSA if you have ANY schools that require it on the FAFSA. For those schools that DO NOT require it on the FAFSA, it won't matter because those schools will make you include this information on thier own private financial aid forms. So, whether you include it or not on the FAFSA will not will not matter at all to the schools that say it is optional. But for those who require it on the FAFSA, you have to do it.

Judd

Having a $0 EFC will do nothing but help you. The school will look at that as extreme need and make you eligible for more in subsidized loans (up to a maximum of $8,500 per year) and possibly institutional grants and scholarships. Good luck...

I see. I called the school I was interested in and they said I don't need to put my parents' info because I'm considered independent. They also said it's ok if there's a bunch of 0s on my FAFSA application. It's good to know I will get the maximum aid. Thanks for the help people.

PCOM told me to add parental data even though I am an Indy if I want need based scholarships. But it would not affect Stafford loans. I also heard that anyone applying for financial aid in med school is considered an Indy.

Raptor5

Originally posted by raptor5
PCOM told me to add parental data even though I am an Indy if I want need based scholarships. But it would not affect Stafford loans. I also heard that anyone applying for financial aid in med school is considered an Indy.

Raptor5

That is correct. Some schools may use your EFC to determine the amount of subsidized Stafford loans you will receive. The need-based scholarships are typically institutional scholarships and they can require the use any type of material they want, including parental information for people that are older and/or married..

mpp,

is it better to be considered dependent or independent? which will help you get the most in federal loans?

For medical school, you are automatically considered indepedent. For other types, it is usually beter to be independent so that your parent's income is not considered when determining eligiblity for need-based aid.