Parental Info for Pharmacy Degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I filled out my FAFSA, and although I am an independent student it said I should have my parents info if I am in a health care degree.
It did not say pharmacy explicitly.

For all you independent pharmacy students. Do you fill out parental info?
I truly cannot do it because I barely have contact with one of my parents.
They are divorced. Is just not easy for me. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

We went thru this last year with our daughter who is an MSI. She was told she did not need our info for loans since she is a graduate student. However, the school encouraged her to use our info for the private scholarships she might qualify for - they used the family financial situation to determine need. If I remember, there is a place on FASFA where you indicate if your parents are divorced and can just use one parent's info. I think you can leave all parental info blank as well. By the time you've been on our own a few years it seems crazy to need to get parents info. Our daughter found the finanacial aid office at her school was a good source of information - have you tried there? Good luck!

Thank you, I haven't asked yet.
I am not accepted to the program yet. I am hoping for UF.
Since I will not know for awhile, I thought it may be prudent to start on my FAFSA anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school suggested that I put my parents info down too, but I didn't. They want the info just in case you might qualify for extra scholarships, but I figured my chances were extremely low so I just didn't mess with it.

During the fin. aid presentation at one school I interviewed at, they said if we fill out our parents information we could be qualify for Health Professions Student Loan.It is an extra $10,000 in federal loans for students that show a "financial need." But you must include parent info regardless of how old you are.

TMVegas said:
During the fin. aid presentation at one school I interviewed at, they said if we fill out our parents information we could be qualify for Health Professions Student Loan.It is an extra $10,000 in federal loans for students that show a "financial need." But you must include parent info regardless of how old you are.
Can you do it at a later date.
I am sure my mom will do her taxes at the last minute, where I am ready to go with mine...

If you live independently, then you don't put down any parental info. Apparently you don't at all once you are a graduate student. Usi, here's what they just sent me from UF for the coming year:

If you wish to apply for financial aid for the 06-07 school year it
will soon be time to do so since you will be getting your income tax
information shortly if you worked last year. The FAFSA form can be
done at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The UF school Code is 001535. If you
forgot your federal pin# you can get it at www.pin.ed.gov. We
recommend you do your taxes and FAFSA in the beginning of
February so you meet UF's on time deadline of 03/15/06. SPECIAL
NOTE: If you will be a 2,3,or 4 PD next year you say YES to
question # 49 even if you don't have a four year degree. Also
current 1PD's that had to list their parents information last year will
need to update the family size to 1 in the household and 1 in
college.

dgroulx said:
If you live independently, then you don't put down any parental info. Apparently you don't at all once you are a graduate student. Usi, here's what they just sent me from UF for the coming year:

If you wish to apply for financial aid for the 06-07 school year it
will soon be time to do so since you will be getting your income tax
information shortly if you worked last year. The FAFSA form can be
done at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The UF school Code is 001535. If you
forgot your federal pin# you can get it at www.pin.ed.gov. We
recommend you do your taxes and FAFSA in the beginning of
February so you meet UF's on time deadline of 03/15/06. SPECIAL
NOTE: If you will be a 2,3,or 4 PD next year you say YES to
question # 49 even if you don't have a four year degree. Also
current 1PD's that had to list their parents information last year will
need to update the family size to 1 in the household and 1 in
college.