Parents going insane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huexanhlc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm still waiting to hear from all four schools where I interviewed: Oklahoma, USC, LLU, and UNLV. Oklahoma actually rejected me about a month ago but then contacted me this past Monday to see if I was still interested in a possible opening in the class.

But my mother is going COMPLETELY psycho lately. Lecturing me day and night about reapplying, working harder, getting more volunteer hours, studying more for the DAT, etc.. and it's just driving me CRAZY. Today she straight up said that I clearly wasn't getting in anywhere this cycle.. How's that for a lack of faith? Anyone else going through this??

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm still waiting to hear from all four schools where I interviewed: Oklahoma, USC, LLU, and UNLV. Oklahoma actually rejected me about a month ago but then contacted me this past Monday to see if I was still interested in a possible opening in the class.

But my mother is going COMPLETELY psycho lately. Lecturing me day and night about reapplying, working harder, getting more volunteer hours, studying more for the DAT, etc.. and it's just driving me CRAZY. Today she straight up said that I clearly wasn't getting in anywhere this cycle.. How's that for a lack of faith? Anyone else going through this??

very very unhealthy and unstable relationship your parents have with you!

Wow, they can call you after rejecting you? That's very interesting.

If I were you, I would follow your mother's opinion. There is nothing wrong about being prepared for the worst possible situation.

I was on the waitlist and spent 3 months studying for DAT again until I found out that I got accepted. I don't regret studying for 3 months although it went in vain.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's cool that your mom is giving you a hard time. Hang in there and GOOD LUCK with the remaining schools.

At the same time, did she pay for all of your applications, pay for your schooling/books/car/phone/rent/etc? I mean...if you depend on her financially..she might feel the right to have some say in exactly how the next application will be handled since after all, she's footing the bill.

she's probably just as stressed out and frustrated about waiting as you are and lets it out on you but it only means she really cares about this for you, although i totally understand how that can drive you nuts. moms do that. ;)

Wow, that is really hard to deal with. I completely understand where you are coming from. In high school, my parents used to get on my case about competing in athletics (still do over the phone). Every day I had to listen to them tell me what I should be doing or how I should have done things. Fast forward to now, last semester I got a 4.0 with Ochem2, Calc based physics, Calc2, and an elective. When I told my parents they said, "That's great. Did you run yet today?" They literally couldn't have cared less.

So while I understand how hard it is to put up with that kind of nagging, I envy how much your mom cares about your academic successes. Be thankful that your mom cares at all.

Advice: Don't bring up dental school or the application process if you can. Also, if she starts lecturing/nagging, immediately give her a hug, tell her you love her, and thank her for caring so much about you. Always worked for me.

Good luck!

before i applied this cycle, my dad told me i wouldn't get in anywhere and I should just go to the caribbean. it happens. good thing i have a few acceptances in hand now. just stick out the storm, if you had 4 interviews, clearly you've done something right.

Its a bummer, but I would keep reapplying in mind, in case you have to. Make sure you do it as early as possible too. Other than getting back in contact with your LOR writers, and maybe revising your PS a bit, I don't think you should have to do much else. You already got 4 interviews with what you have...maybe something went wrong there. Find out if your school has a mock interview program that you could practice with...I know lots of people at my school used it and thought it was very helpful and eased some nerves when it came time to the real thing. Also make sure you read up on the interview feedback here on SDN (if you haven't already) because many schools recycle questions! Good luck :)

PS. This is a really exciting/nerve-wracking time for our parents too...we're trying to get into school that decides our lifelong careers, and they love us and want us to succeed...Just tell her to chill out because you are doing enough worrying for the both of you...although I like AuFox's plan of just hugging her and telling her you love her to shut her up. Sounds like it could be funny

Last edited:

hahaha i feel you!!!!!!!

Sounds like my family + relatives who are all in the professional field. I definitely know where you're coming from, and it's the worst feeling in the world.

we should set up a forum so parents can vent to each other

Members don't see this ad :)

Definitely not the only one... I'm in the exact same situation and my mom is just like yours. I understand her though, she is so desperate to see me in DS that just keeps buzzing me with all kinds of comments about what I didn't do or what I was supposed to do. Anyway I just feel relief is not only me and definitely hang in there...
:xf::xf::xf:thumbs up for the wait listed people:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Obviously you feel frustrated by your parents behaviour. I'm in the exact same situation. I feel like I cannot have a normal conversation with my parents because they either want to talk about dental school, (and why I'm not in yet) or when we do talk about something else, there is this elephant in the room that you don't want to talk about. Try to look on the bright side, at least they care enough about you to annoy you about it. Thats the way I look at it. I would rather know that they are worried for my well-being and annoy me a bit than to have them not care at all. Either way, its not about what they want, its about what YOU want. If you want to get into dental school, you shouldn't do it bc your parents want you to be a dentist, do it bc it will make you happy. After all, your the one thats going to be drilling teeth for the rest of your life. Anyway, just take solace in the fact that you are part of a large group of people that could be considered pre-dents or "people whose parents annoy the hell out of them" :)

Your mother may be wrong about encouraging you to do more volunteer hours but she sounds like she is more realistic about your prospects for this year, notwithstanding OK, than you are.

Question: is your mother wrong? Your odds are terrible to get into a school at this point, she's trying to help you do everything you can to have a better shot next year. I know its annoying, believe me, but everyone saying how your parents are crazy or need to tone it down is funny to me. They are trying to help you, lol. do you want them saying "well dude its hard to get in, I don't know why you don't just go get a job, its not so stressful"

Question: is your mother wrong? Your odds are terrible to get into a school at this point, she's trying to help you do everything you can to have a better shot next year. I know its annoying, believe me, but everyone saying how your parents are crazy or need to tone it down is funny to me. They are trying to help you, lol. do you want them saying "well dude its hard to get in, I don't know why you don't just go get a job, its not so stressful"

Terrible? OP is still very much alive. There are 4 schools that have yet to make a decision on his application. Its hard not to think about the following application cycle this year, but its not over yet. Have some faith OP, good luck to you. And worst case scenario: you don't get in this year. It happens. It happened to me, and a tons of others here too. Your mom will get over it, and so will you.

Yes terrible. I think everyone would agree that dental admissions are competitive enough before Dec 1st. Seeing as how its already March 25th, I would say the odds that one gets in are dramatically decreased since lots of schools are full or nearly so. Impossible to get in? No. Very unlikely to get in? Yes.

His mom isn't concerned with him not getting in this cycle. She is focused on improving for next cycle. So I think his mom will get over since she already has.

since there is nothing you can do to improve your chances this cycle (including having a lot of faith or none at all) why not start making improvements for next cycle? This doesn't cause you to be rejected in the current cycle.

That's definitely a Mom thing! :)

I have my parents watching over my shoulders too. At times I wish they wouldn't do that, but they've been generous enough to pay my bills and help me maximize study time so my future/career isn't delayed...but whatever...if you feel discouraged by her comments, just absorb and ignore it. She's just frustrated; I don't think she means anything she does or says to you.

Anyway, good luck to you! :xf:

Yes terrible. I think everyone would agree that dental admissions are competitive enough before Dec 1st. Seeing as how its already March 25th, I would say the odds that one gets in are dramatically decreased since lots of schools are full or nearly so. Impossible to get in? No. Very unlikely to get in? Yes.

His mom isn't concerned with him not getting in this cycle. She is focused on improving for next cycle. So I think his mom will get over since she already has.

since there is nothing you can do to improve your chances this cycle (including having a lot of faith or none at all) why not start making improvements for next cycle? This doesn't cause you to be rejected in the current cycle.

What a dbag. Who put a stick up yout ass niner? Who treated you badly as a child? lol.

Yo, you've got USC still, only 50% full. And waitlists all across schools start to move around april/ may. Hundreds of students get in through waitlist. LLU had 30 get off waitlist one year, other schools had 10-15, etc. Just have hope and work on your app. Be positive. Don't listen to people who offer negativity.

what an r-****. so many people have deposits at multiple schools, and acceptances at multiple schools. wait till may 15th rolls around, then maybe you can spew your BS.

I didn't get in last cycle... and my parents acted similar... but I buckled down and worked hard and reapplied.. and now I've gotten into all of the school's I've interviewed at this year!

There may still be a chance to get in this year, but don't get discouraged if you don't get in though! This past year off has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me in so many ways! I know it'd be a bummer to not get in, but it may turn out to be a blessing!

Good luck and keep your head up!

give your parents a hug. u wouldnt even be if it werent for them.

Parents... My parents bugged me and bugged me when I was applying to schools and are bugging me about both up for rejecwhere to live, financial aid... It's what parents do. I am sorry to hear that your mother is being very blunt, and it could just be her way of preparing you for bad news. I do agree with the other posters that it's very possible to hear back from other schools, so don't be discouraged! You've worked hard, and you know it.

she is not taking to account that a school called you back to reconsider you??? just follow your heart. you can not live for you mother. C

LOLOL. Bro. Time to grow up (im not being disparaging or trying to be mean, hear me out). Youll understand as you get older that your parents are looking out for your best interest. Fear in a living being is the greatest motivator. When you look back on this, you will thank your mother for PUSHING you to be the best you can be. Instead of the woe is me, expend your energy on thinking about what your mother said, and then going out and getting it.

If she just stood by, smiled, and baked you cookies, she wouldnt be doing a good job.

Goodluck

I'm glad to hear that there are so many people who share similar conflicts. I'm a 3rd time applicant and after every cycle I would have a "talk" with my dad how to improve my chance of getting in for the next cycle, except my parent would expect me to have a plan even after that year if I didn't get in. If I didn't have a plan 2 years ahead of me, my parent would scold me how I should just quit and find a job. It was very frustrating and all, but it was worth it. I would suggest informing her every little "positive" steps so she can be assured of what you are doing is for the better. Reflecting back, I hesitated talking to my dad about anything D-school related unless asked to, when I could have informed him about the positive progress I've made. So communication is key.

OP, I heard USC will be sending next wave of acceptances in 2 weeks and I heard UNLV will also accept handful of students starting April because one of the key admissions personnel (Dr. A???) will be back. Good luck!

My parents are the same way. Starting in January, everyday I got home from school, they would ask if I heard anything. It. drove. me. nuts. Like I would forget to tell them!!??!? But hang in there. You have 4 schools giving you a little bit of a chance right now. So 4 x (little chance) = decent shot. Keep your head up!

Edit: And its like others have pointed out. People with multiple deposits have to choose by May 1. Its not over 'til its over, even if waiting is the WORST PART!

OP, hang in there! She wants the best for you. I wish I had your mom, my mom is telling me not to become a Dentist! :confused: Go figure ...

are you in state or out of state at Oklahoma?

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all the encouragement and advice! I guess sometimes it's easy to forget that it's a parent's job to be on our asses about things and they do it because they want the best for you.

But Oklahoma did get back to me finally and I've been accepted!! (OOS). So good luck to everyone who is still waiting and know that there IS still a chance :)

YAAAAAY! Congrats! I bet your mom was more relieved that you were! Good job!

Edit: And that was the school that initially rejected you. Lol, wtf!? Beat the odds, I'd say!

Congratulations!! That's awesome! And you did it with flair by turning around that rejection lol. I've never heard of that happening... I'm sure your mom wouldn't have minded passing on the dramatics though ;)