Parents Pressuring me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentJunkie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am relatively new to this site and find it holds a plethora of information that is very helpful and I appreciate it all. My main question for some of you guys is this: My parents are pressuring me to apply EVERYWHERE, my grades are nothing to brag about (less than 3.0) and I am planning to take the DAT and try to rock it in Feb. From what my parents have gathered from their friends and acquaintances that have children in the dentistry field, they say that if you can get a super high score in the DAT then you might have a chance. I know for a fact that my grades are gonna be a major factor in the decision process.
I however, want to go through a post bac program in order to be a more competitive candidate and raise my grades. I also realize that some post bac dental programs require a letter or rejection from a dental school.

My main question behind all the back story is, what should I do? Each application sent to a dental school/ post bac will cost a lot of money, I rather not just throw money out the window even when i know my resume is not very competitive. I also dont want to waste some of my letters of recommendation on "a lost cause". I would really like to go through a post bac first and then try to apply.
Should I just apply to some random dental school to receive a rejection letter? What could I do about my parents to make them understand?

Thank you in advance for any response

Members don't see this ad.

It's true that applications are very expensive, and a sub-3.0 GPA is going to be hard to overcome. When are applications due for post-bac programs? If it isn't immediately, I'd see how you do on your DAT first and then go from there. However, you will most likely need to take classes to raise your GPA.

I'd do some searching for info about post-bacs on here. There are threads made about them all the time. :)

I am taking upper division classes in a community college I live around. Some post bacs havent started applications yet either so I do have some time. Should I apply to a dental school just to get the rejection letter that is required by some post bacs?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've gathered, the upper-divisions at the CC might not help that much. :( Schools generally regard CC classes as not having the same level of rigor as classes at universities. That may not always be the case, but I'd say that it often is. I would be taking stuff at a 4-year university.

You could always just apply to the 4-5 schools at which you think you have the best shot of gaining an acceptance. Apply to your state schools and a few others, such as maybe NYU or LECOM. Especially if you don't care tremendously about price, it may happen! I know this is blunt, but you honestly just can't be too picky with a sub-3.0 GPA. Until that GPA is raised, you will probably be looking at very pricey schools if you were to be accepted. You never know, though--especially if you blow the DAT out of the water. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Im not being picky at all. Would definitely apply Everywhere once my grades are up! Just want a school to accept me. Thanks for all the help. will try to look into taking classes at UCI. Would retaking some classes I didnt do too hot in be any good either? My counselor said I should just take new upper divisions that I havent taken yet.

I second what glimmer said about taking classes at a 4-yr school. It can be done through a community college but I think more doors will open up for you if you come with as many units from a 4-yr. About taking classes again--it depends on the grade you received in the classes.

I have a biology degree from a 4 year university. So a lot of classes offered at universities I have already taken, but the classes I didn't do too well in I received C's. Anything lower I had to retake the class. I will definitely look into trying to take more classes at a university instead.

If you have already retaken or plan on retaking a class, keep in mind that BOTH grades will factor into your AADSAS GPA, even if your school allows for grade replacement.

I am taking upper division classes in a community college I live around. Some post bacs havent started applications yet either so I do have some time. Should I apply to a dental school just to get the rejection letter that is required by some post bacs?
Upper division courses and community college do not belong in the same sentence.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with doc toothache. You need to take classes at a OK University at lease. Anything less than that is not going to help your situation.

I am in the same boat as you and it very frustrating, but nothing is impossible. I graduated from a four year college this past June and decided to take a few of the classes that I got C's in, but found it to be a waste of time and money. I then decided to apply for graduate program in biomedical sciences (I learned about this from a dentist who recently graduated and went through the same program that I am applying for) which are out to help students who are in shoes. I see it as just building my profile for dental, having a back up plan and not just sticking to a 4-year degree. I have heard from many people that dental schools do look at grades and are also looking to see how well can you handle upper level course work, so I would say go the grad school route.

Since Feb is coming up, I'd study for DAT and get a high score then apply based on the DAT score.

I hope your parents are pressured enough to shell out some money for all thing pre-dental related cost (DAT exam, materials, 1st and 2nd application fees, interview traveling) !

Do postbac as they said above :)

Whats the difference between post bac and the graduate program you are applying for @tos2991? Also what is SMP @sjv

Whats the difference between post bac and the graduate program you are applying for @tos2991? Also what is SMP @sjv

Just different name for similar programs. Post bac is a broader term that can refer to someone taking pre-reqs for the first time or just taking extra classes formally or informally. A graduate program or master's (special master's program) is more formal and everyone likely has a similar goal of getting into a professional school. If completed, you do earn a masters of _______ science or something to that effect but in reality, it is just a way of boosting your application, especially for people with lower science GPAs.

Yeah bascially what sjv said. The programs I applied for are at Rutgers University and Barry University. Rutgers is a one year program the biomedical program is divided into 3 sections: medical scholars, dental scholars and the last section is for those who actually want to work within the biomedical field. Basically as a dental scholar, you get to take a few dental classes, do research with a mentor and you also get advice on applying to dental school. Barry is the same but its 2yrs. Barry could be 1yr but i think it depends on your gpa and scores

I really appreciate all the help you guys! All of this is extremely invaluable to me. Thank you all!

I'm sorry, but you need to tell your parents to mind their own business. You are an adult and you can come up with your own plans.

How to make them understand what you trying to do? Tell them what you are going to do once. If they didn't get it, let your actions speak to them.

I'm sorry, but you need to tell your parents to mind their own business. You are an adult and you can come up with your own plans.
After that, make sure you ask them to pay for your dental education.

I am actually planning to pay for most of my education through loans and a job.