Parkland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBuzzLightYear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone out there in cyberspace rotated through parkland OB? i'd appreciate any thoughts on the feel of the place, amount of contact you got with attendings, the caliber of the residents, overall resident moral, quality of free lunches, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

DrBuzzLightYear said:
anyone out there in cyberspace rotated through parkland OB? i'd appreciate any thoughts on the feel of the place, amount of contact you got with attendings, the caliber of the residents, overall resident moral, quality of free lunches, etc...
alright, i've never been one to bump, but come on, somebody out there has got to know something...

Ok, I'll answer, but your begging needs some work. You gotta put some real beg into it. The only information that I have is that there are 16 residents per class and some have found that this is not the most ideal situation in which to learn. The size of each class may not be foremost when judging programs but it is important. I know at least one person who transferred to a different, smaller, program simply b/c she felt the class size was just too big for optimum learning. You probably already knew all of that...but beggars can't be choosers.

Parkland is a great program with a solid reputation nationally (Williams Obstetrics). However, it is very large, 16 residents per year. It is great if you are looking to do tons of high-risk OB. The residents only deliver the high-risk pts, (NPs do the rest), since there is just not enough man-power (16,000 deliveries/ yr). As a result, a resident there will do many ob rotations, but fewer gyn rotations. So, if you are a person interested in gyn surgeries more so than ob, you have to compete with many residents for OR time.
The faculty at Parkland are very well-known and also nice people. They do not have a pretentious attitude at all, at least in my opinion. The residents work very hard but seem generally happy with their choice to be there.

Hope that helps!

kdoc, a PGY1