Part II study group!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI there

I will be starting prep for Part II soon.Plan to do so from 1st August.Calling all those who plan to take part II in/after Dec to join me.Lets start from scratch and go about it in a well-organized manner.What say?

All those please reply to this thread with info and suggestions.

NBDE part II.....here we come!

2thdoc

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to start studying for part 2 in sept end. I would like to join you

hi , hav u guys finsihed with te part 1? got ur scores ? i wud like to start te part 2 prep too , but only after te scores r out .. or may b b4 tat also .. wot do you say ??
dent12.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there,

I just gave my part 1(written) on 12th.Am also thinking of taking up part 2,early nxt yr.The thing is,if I decide to take the exams,I wanna STUDY well for it.I'm looking forward to this group to keep me motivated and help me prepare for the exam. :thumbup:

hey anybody wants to sell their part 2 kaplan material,do let me know whats the price!!

Thanks to all 3 of you for replying.....

I have just taken Part I and have not yet got my score.But I will not be taking it again,whatever I score.

Like some one said,I want to really well-prepared for it.At this moment I have no knowledge about it.So lets all spen say a week getting familiar with the format and the subjects and the material.

For Part I,all you need are Decks and Old papers.

I guess that should be the case for part II also.Will be getting the papers and decks asap.

Lets all start with the basics.......Dental Materials!what say?

I think you dont need to study much of dental materials , there are no decks available for dental materials, the ones for operative & prosthodontics cover most of dental materials , so you can start either of the two subjects.

hi all ..

as per te experience with te part 1 , i wud like to state tat it will be gud if we refer books too .. in te materials for reference ,tey have included DM phillps also .. chk out it in ada ... u will find a long list of books which have to be used for part 2 .. i think it will be wise enuf ....
take care
c ya all ...
nident12.

hi all,
just like any of u i am also taking part2 shortly.so got to pour in my best efforts to see good results..i havent started studying yet....
good luck to u all ...
bye
anjali

nident12 said:
hi all ..

as per te experience with te part 1 , i wud like to state tat it will be gud if we refer books too .. in te materials for reference ,tey have included DM phillps also .. chk out it in ada ... u will find a long list of books which have to be used for part 2 .. i think it will be wise enuf ....
take care
c ya all ...
nident12.

where r u located, I'm in bay area planning to take it at the same time.

Hi thr
I took part 1 in july . I would like to join u all.
can any one suggest the best price to buy dental dex for part 2(2001)?
good luck folks :thumbup:
take care

Hello everyone,
Me too willing to join this group for December exam on 13th&14th.So, let us work hard to pass this exam & discuss our problems here.Good luck to all.

i m also done with my part 1 now planning to write part 2.from where to get the study mate.what all we need?just let me know.do u have any idea if anybody is selling it?
reply soon.

hi all,
so whats the plan?how shall we start the studies for part2?i am intending to begin from 1st of august..please put in ur ideas and let me know how we can give a good start....
here we can post our doubts,our queries etc while we study....
good luck to u all....
anjali

pinkindia32 said:
i m also done with my part 1 now planning to write part 2.from where to get the study mate.what all we need?just let me know.do u have any idea if anybody is selling it?
reply soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all

One more added in the list of taking the CBT part 2 in Nov.

Good Luck!!!

pepsi said:
hi all

One more added in the list of taking the CBT part 2 in Nov.

Good Luck!!!

Hey fellas,

I finished my cbt part 1 .Now planning to start preparing for part 2 by sep end r nov beginning.I was really glad to see this thread for part 2.
As 2thdoc has mentioned we've to start from scratch and study in an organized manner.At the end we sd feel like we've put our full efforts.This is wat i realized after giving my part 1.Never was satisfied with my efforts for which i'm regretting.
So guys,have u all bought the materials for part 2.If so plzz help us out by listing the materials required other than decks and reprints.

With best wishes
Gorur

hi,
i am planning to take part 2 in december.I want to prepare very well.I am interested in joining this group

hello friends,
i would like to join the group.but the problem is everyday i think i am going to start studying and then just do nothing about it.
but i am positive that i am going to start from today.
mandakki

where are you located?

2thdoc said:
HI there

I will be starting prep for Part II soon.Plan to do so from 1st August.Calling all those who plan to take part II in/after Dec to join me.Lets start from scratch and go about it in a well-organized manner.What say?

2thdoc
have a question. I am not sure what are the materials needed for aprt 2. So let me list the ones I know and let me know if I miss something.
1.Dental decks-2001( COULD YOU TELL ME WHICH YEARS IS THE LATEST 2004 IS THERE??)
2.question papers booklets.
3.Sample Case Studies booklet.
4.Kaplan notes.( COULD YOU TELL ME WHICH YEARS IS THE LATEST 2004 IS THERE??)
5.Sample Case Studies booklet.
6.Color pathology booklet

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I MISS SOMETHING HERE. ALSO WHICH YEARS OF DECKS AND KAPLAN ARE THE LATEST???

thanks guys
ss

Silve said:
have a question. I am not sure what are the materials needed for aprt 2. So let me list the ones I know and let me know if I miss something.
1.Dental decks-2001( COULD YOU TELL ME WHICH YEARS IS THE LATEST 2004 IS THERE??)

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I MISS SOMETHING HERE. ALSO WHICH YEARS OF DECKS AND KAPLAN ARE THE LATEST???

thanks guys
ss

I really want to know if these dental decks part I and Part II are also useful for the exam eligibility in Canada. If somebody can reply me, especially you Silve , I'll be sooooooooooo happy. I know these are great for NDBE for USA but what about CANADA, I am in Canada. please can anybody reply soon?

hi muelita,
i am also in canada, lets study together.i yet have no books/decks to study but i plan to appear for EE in may , my e amil is [email protected], if u wish u can email me too. i am in mississauga, where are u?

muelita said:
I really want to know if these dental decks part I and Part II are also useful for the exam eligibility in Canada. If somebody can reply me, especially you Silve , I'll be sooooooooooo happy. I know these are great for NDBE for USA but what about CANADA, I am in Canada. please can anybody reply soon?

hey everybody add me to the grp. i have just givenb my part 1 and plan to give my part 2 very soon but i dont know where to begin cuz this is so vast. please help me out here. i want to know the materials required to start studying for part 2. books , decks etc.
thanks
jay

hi everyone ..iam giving part 2 in decemebr ...i need the question papers immediatly .....can anyone help me pls ..does anyone know if i can i purchase them from ada ..only the q papers ..

appreciate ur help
aniravi

Hi there, You can get them from http://www.asdanet.org/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=15, To be honest with you guys, I just studied from them, nothing else, I preper myself for 6 weeks straight from 9am to 9 pm, no sundays, also I was practicing in my country for 6 years already, may be that gave me some steps ahead, and I passed it with 80, may be if I studied harder I could get a higer score, but my goal was just pass it to get the chance in California the last year, and it worths...Well I hope these help you guys.

I forgot that you can become a member for $50.00 (https://www.asdanet.org/about/join/associate.asp) and get discont and the moment to buy them, making maths you save that way some bucks if you are gonna buy the whole exams otherwise just buy them straight from the web without any membership. Good luck...

hi aman

i am in bay area too. Planning to take the part 2 exam in nov.

good luck!

2thdoc said:
Thanks to all 3 of you for replying.....

I have just taken Part I and have not yet got my score.But I will not be taking it again,whatever I score.

Like some one said,I want to really well-prepared for it.At this moment I have no knowledge about it.So lets all spen say a week getting familiar with the format and the subjects and the material.

For Part I,all you need are Decks and Old papers.

I guess that should be the case for part II also.Will be getting the papers and decks asap.

Lets all start with the basics.......Dental Materials!what say?

hi,
i too m starting my preparations for part 2. i have my decks but need question papers.
if somebody can sell me original part 2 papers i m ready to purchase.
ajs

Hi Guys,
Anybody started preparing for it yet,coz i really need some inspiration to start especially after the horrible way i scored after putting my best for part 1.

2thdoc said:
HI there

2thdoc

Hi,
I have just started preparing for my part 2 and i would like some advices.My email id is [email protected]

I am in the same boat, count me in for the part 2 preparations.Hate to say but absolutley not motivated to start with the part 2 preps.I feel lost and confused where to start of from?

I plan to take up my exams in Dec. So who ever is interested lets start with the combine studies.

Take care
pallavi

hi...
i am taking part 2 in mid dec...
and very much disoriented.
is somebody from knoxville,TN preparing for part 2?
i cant study alone without discussing...
i need some motivating tips!!

hi there
i want to start preparing for the part2 as well but as of now i hv no prep material .i'm in atlantaGA pls do let me know what materials r u guys referring and what is needed to get a good score.pls do also share with me what u guys plan to do after the part2 exam.i want to take up the bench exam ----if anyone one has any info on the states which have bench exams or which allow foreign trained dentists to practice pls let me know.

Hai,
May be this would help

CALCULATIONS

1. A vial contains 3.6 ml of a 2% solution of lidocaine with 1:100,000 epinephrine. How much of each drug (mg) does the vial contain?

A 2 % solution = 2 g per 100 ml, so 1 ml of the above solution contains 0.02g or 20mg of lidocaine.

So the vial (3.6 ml) must contain 20 x 3.6 mg = 72 mg lidocaine.

A 1:100,000 soln of epinephrine contains 19 per 100L, which is 1mg per 100 ml, or O.Olmg per mL.

So the vial (3.6 ml) contains 0.01 x 3.6 = 0.036 mg epinephrine

2. The maximal recommended dose of mepivicaine is 300 mg. How many milliliters of 2% mepivicaine would have to be given to reach this level?

Once again, a 2% solution = 2 g per 100 ml, or 20 mg per mi. To reach 300 mg would require 300/20 = 15 ml

3. A new local anesthetic is available as a 0.05% solution in a vial containing 2 mi. The maximal recommended dose is 30 mg over a 4-hour period. How many vials does this represent?

A 0.05% solution = 0.05 g per 100 ml, or 0.5 mg per mi. So one vial contains 0.5 mg x 2 ml = 1 mg

To reach 30 mg, you would have to use 30 vials
:cool: :cool:

i am palnning to start my partII studies. I would like to join the grp. How should we start? need some inspiration.
bye

nvkishore said:
Hai,
May be this would help

CALCULATIONS

1. A vial contains 3.6 ml of a 2% solution of lidocaine with 1:100,000 epinephrine. How much of each drug (mg) does the vial contain?

A 2 % solution = 2 g per 100 ml, so 1 ml of the above solution contains 0.02g or 20mg of lidocaine.

So the vial (3.6 ml) must contain 20 x 3.6 mg = 72 mg lidocaine.

A 1:100,000 soln of epinephrine contains 19 per 100L, which is 1mg per 100 ml, or O.Olmg per mL.

So the vial (3.6 ml) contains 0.01 x 3.6 = 0.036 mg epinephrine

2. The maximal recommended dose of mepivicaine is 300 mg. How many milliliters of 2% mepivicaine would have to be given to reach this level?

Once again, a 2% solution = 2 g per 100 ml, or 20 mg per mi. To reach 300 mg would require 300/20 = 15 ml

3. A new local anesthetic is available as a 0.05% solution in a vial containing 2 mi. The maximal recommended dose is 30 mg over a 4-hour period. How many vials does this represent?

A 0.05% solution = 0.05 g per 100 ml, or 0.5 mg per mi. So one vial contains 0.5 mg x 2 ml = 1 mg

To reach 30 mg, you would have to use 30 vials
:cool: :cool:

Hello guys,
Join me in the grp..I am starting today!.....I was wondering whether it's necessory to learn all this math based questions, as I am "allergic" to math from start!?..How frequent is this questions seen in previous Q papers?

By the way Kishore you have explained it well :thumbup: ..It's just me who hate math :D

hey
for part 2 most people advised me to read dental decks and asda reprints.so you can atleast start with this than if you find somethings difficult u can refer your textbooks or kaplan review books.i think this should be helpful.. :thumbup:thanks kishore that was neat.....

hey guys.. do you have any idea how much percentage right answers we must have in pharmacology topic,in order to recieve passing score or something about 85 ?..... i remember that i was found somewhere that 45% right answers are about 85 points, but i`m not sure...

emsi said:
hey guys.. do you have any idea how much percentage right answers we must have in pharmacology topic,in order to recieve passing score or something about 85 ?..... i remember that i was found somewhere that 45% right answers are about 85 points, but i`m not sure...

How do they score the Part 2 exams? Since its a random mix of questions, although they say there is a quota for each subject. Do you have to at least have passed each subject or is it an average of all of the subjects plus the 6 clinical cases?

ethann said:
How do they score the Part 2 exams? Since its a random mix of questions, although they say there is a quota for each subject. Do you have to at least have passed each subject or is it an average of all of the subjects plus the 6 clinical cases?
i don`t know... i think you should pass each subject, but i`m not sure

Does anyone know where to obtain the color pathology booklet?
To prepare part II, I only bought two CDs from ebay. The Dental Deck 2001 for part II and released previous exams are included in it.
I will take part II in the coming December and would like to discuss the study experience with anyone who will take the exam at that time.
By the way, does anyone know if you want to get 90 for part II, how much questions should be correct?

Silve said:

thanks guys
ss
:rolleyes:

not much goin on here?i am also planning ot start part 2,prep today.cmon u guys hows the prep goin?i really wanna get the best score possible pls lets work towards it

This is for those who are taking their part 2- pay a little more attention to following-
Histograms- what statistical significance does it have?
median mode mean
statistics
sedative and non sedative anticholinergics(know the trade names for ones used in USA)
quickest method to detect oral candidiasis.?
Implants( study in as much detail as possible from texts etc)
:thumbup: :thumbup:
I had taken my part 2 cbt in july ,i dont remember any Q"S but i know that decks asda papers can help quite a bit.These were some topics i felt i should have known more about . :luck:

thanks G.P we need any kind of info regarding part 2, and you help a lot..

Hiya there part II strugglers.

Im also giving part II in Mid December. I wanted to give it on Nov 1st and 2nd... but the darn dates are not available...so I decide to shift down to Decmber.
well I did read a few subjects from Dental Decks... but I read them in a week so cant say how much I recollect. It took me almost 10 hours a day of study.

These are the onez I read.
Operative
Endo
Ortho
Pedo
OSHA and DPH
Oral Path ( thats a tough nut)
Radio
Perio - half way
I also solved a paper to see how much i know.... well not good enough I guess.

I still have prostho, OS and Pharmac... all the biggies. Well this is how I plan to take it. Doing all the decks .. solving the papers... then reading the texts... in that order.. then again doing the decks and the papers... .. I guess by the time I do all this .. it will be mid december.

Just a few tips which have helped me over the years...
Make a Time table and abide by it.
Do keep 2 days in between to finish off the back log..(im really good at keeping back log)If you dont have back log use it as a break for doing the other chores you need to do!

Cancel the days off on your personal calender... that keeps you on track of the approaching "BIG Day"

Keep making a list of things you need to check up in the texts while you are reading your stuff...

>>>SLEEP and GOOD FOOD<<<..... never compromise on it. NEVER!

Well guess this is all I can think of... to help all of us with the part II. Keep up the night lamps friends!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

UABDentist
:luck:

Hello,
Good to see all r trying to work hard & motivating each other.I wanted to ask all those who have appeared in part 2---Do we need to know the topics of Community dentistry we had done in our country like Various indices-----Gingival. Plaque etc.caries activity test,Some definitions like something Qualitative,Quantitative analysis etc since i heard paper is more of clinical type related to community. If any body knows abt mode,median,mean pliz decribe them here since many of us do not remember them or do not have our notes. THanks a ton.

hi everyone,pls add me too in to the group.i am planning to take the exam in jan end.am not in school,i really feel worried if this puts me in a drawback as far as the exam is concerned as afr people who have access to cases&can case study with friends who are all taking the exam i wonder how ppl score who stdy form home.i feel we r at a disadvantage i am wondering to take the exam or not pls give any advice all is welcome.i am struggling withthe decision bec i have no notes etc i did not bring any textbooks fo rp2 wheni came form india...i wonder if u guys have any clue on this is someone esle inthe same boat as me thanks in advance for ur help...bye,pls reply

Hi,
I am looking for a study partner for preparing for part 2.Please do contact me if anyone is interested.My email is [email protected]

toothfairy78 said:
hi everyone,pls add me too in to the group.i am planning to take the exam in jan end.am not in school,i really feel worried if this puts me in a drawback as far as the exam is concerned as afr people who have access to cases&can case study with friends who are all taking the exam i wonder how ppl score who stdy form home.i feel we r at a disadvantage i am wondering to take the exam or not pls give any advice all is welcome.i am struggling withthe decision bec i have no notes etc i did not bring any textbooks fo rp2 wheni came form india...i wonder if u guys have any clue on this is someone esle inthe same boat as me thanks in advance for ur help...bye,pls reply
Hey,
I studied from home too and you can help yourself if you can join kaplans as you will have access to everything there.But even if you dont ,you can study at home -I did and though i dont have a gr8 score :cool: its enough to be of use.Part 2 is different as there are fields which are completely new to people like us .But you can work hard solve the asda papers,know your decks thoroughly and try and get hold of some books for cinical cases and pharmac,i know there are some i dont know their names you can find them on one of the threads.Its not that tough!!Just work hard and make sure you know your clinical cases well.What you cant find in the decks you can find it through links on this forum pictures ,information, and of course us :) to encourage you.Hope that helps. :thumbup:

Hello,
Hope everybody is studying hard.If somebody can help me ,I will really appreciate that, There is a question which says---If flouride conc of an area is 0.6% & the person has moved to an area where flouride conc.is increased by 0.4% what will be the flouride conc. at the end of seven years?Pliz if anyone can tell me how to solve these questions I will really appreciate that.Thanks in advance.

Hello ,
Pliz if anyone can tell me the answers & the reason ( why ) is that the answer---
for making retentive grooves in Cl 2 preparation in mand left second premolar which is the bbest hand instrument used
A. 10-7-14
B. 15-8-8
C. 13-80-8-14
D. 13-95-8-14

Arrange in the order of Lowest to highest Density
Gold
Dentin
Enamel
Amalgam
Porcelain
Composite
Thnaks in advance.