Part II study group!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[thanks a lot gp.r in college?howmuch did u score in p2?i live in rural minnesota so i am unable to acess kaplan but would very muhc like to.am thinking of going back home to india to study then come&take the exam do u think this will help me since i am not enrolled at school,i may need this for p2 as it is completely clinical.thanks so mcuh for ur help...god bless.

Members don't see this ad.

toothfairy78 said:
[thanks a lot gp.r in college?howmuch did u score in p2?i live in rural minnesota so i am unable to acess kaplan but would very muhc like to.am thinking of going back home to india to study then come&take the exam do u think this will help me since i am not enrolled at school,i may need this for p2 as it is completely clinical.thanks so mcuh for ur help...god bless.
Nope I am still getting on with my interviews etc and still have a long way to go before i get into a school here :rolleyes: .Its ok if you cant join kaplan but you must work hard to compensate ,get hold of the latest editions of dental decks and asda papers .Use some links in the forum for pictures and even for pharmac as you need to know brand names used in the US.You can study here or back home where ever you are comfortable as long as you can work hard and give this your best. :thumbup:

toothfairy78 said:
Scored an 85.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi!dental decks r useful for te EE in Canada.can u plz tell me when r u taking this EE exam.im also prepatring for the same.do u have any idea how useful is this Kaplan material for it and also what all texts u r refering for it.i'll be too grateful share this info.

hi gag,sorry wish i could help id otn knwomuch abt canadian exam.anyway u could try searching inthe forum wiht the key words that way u might gather some info.hope that helps! :luck: thanks a lot g.p. for ur advice...85 in part 2?wow thats great score.why r u still interview.im sure wiht p2 like that u have very good chances?anyway how is the process comin along?i have yet toc= gather my materials..hi everyone hope the studies are cmoing along ok..all the best guys.

hi hope everybody's studying well.
i am not able to recollect the gold casting & investment procedure..can somebody help me or tell me some site where i can look for that?
also do we need to know all brand names for drugs?
coz its really hard to memorize them...

HI,
Count me in too guys.I have started collecting mat's for part 2.Plz check out this site http://nbde.zor.org/ for mat's available.
Cud u plz tell me are 1995 to 1999 asda papers available?
thnx
drsj

Hi all,

Me too m intrested in stariting part 2 prep asap..needed some inspiration,i think keeping this thread lively will help us accomplish all of us the part 2 preparation..planning to take by Nov end or Dec...

let us start.. :thumbup:

dental world

dentalworld said:
Hi all,

Me too m intrested in stariting part 2 prep asap..needed some inspiration,i think keeping this thread lively will help us accomplish all of us the part 2 preparation..planning to take by Nov end or Dec...

dental world
\

hi everybody,

i have also finished my part I in Decemb. 2004.......could not started preparing for part 2

as now so many sdn friends are starting for part 2, it is a very good chance for everyone to forget about all the worries and work in a group to make it possible.

i think so we sholud start with one subject and to follow a strict schedule.

i wish to get a positive response.

thanks

2thdoc said:
HI there

I will be starting prep for Part II soon.Plan to do so from 1st August.Calling all those who plan to take part II in/after Dec to join me.Lets start from scratch and go about it in a well-organized manner.What say?

All those please reply to this thread with info and suggestions.

NBDE part II.....here we come!

2thdoc
hi friends,

i have finished my part 1.i have just started with part 2.i just need a studymate.hope u guys will help me out.can I join ur study group?

to neelima would like to join with u people. pl contact me

2thdoc said:
HI there

I will be starting prep for Part II soon.Plan to do so from 1st August.Calling all those who plan to take part II in/after Dec to join me.Lets start from scratch and go about it in a well-organized manner.What say?

2thdoc

2thdoc said:
HI there

2thdoc
hello every one,
i am new to this forum.i have posted some doubts which no one anwsered.i am really worried about part 2.can i please join ur group for studies.i really need some advice.
thank u,
neelima. :confused:

jcv said:
hi...
i am taking part 2 in mid dec...
and very much disoriented.
is somebody from knoxville,TN preparing for part 2?
i cant study alone without discussing...
i need some motivating tips!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey people,
i plan to take part 2 exams soon.(maybe dec end or so)anybody else taking part 2 at the same time and looking for a study partner please pm me.i live in atlanta,ga.

hi everyone ,
count me in too .. i too want to start with my part 2 preps . i have all the materials with me .. i had started earlier , but got stopped in btwn , coz of all applications procedures . want to re-start . hope we can help one another .
thanks , and Gud Luck to all ..
nident :)

drsj said:
HI,
Count me in too guys.I have started collecting mat's for part 2.Plz check out this site http://nbde.zor.org/ for mat's available.
Cud u plz tell me are 1995 to 1999 asda papers available?
thnx
drsj

hi drsj,
im sorry to say tat te site is http://nbde.org/ not the oter one, te oter one takes u to a blank page . but loads of thanks for the info . Gud lUck in ur Prep.
nident12.

I,m just getting started to prepare for part 2. I would appreciate if anyone could advise me. I have been out of touch for quite sometime so feel kind of lost. I am also interested in Masters progromms but again dont know how to get stated. Please help.

any answers anyone??? :eek:

denzel said:
The folowing are some of the latest questions, please try to post answers,
thanks,

1. Additional cured silicones (polyvinyl Siloxane) are often the materials of choice for impressions for
fixed restorations. Each of the following is true about these materials except one. Which one is this
exception?
a. give off ethyl alcohol during their setting reaction
b. can be poured more than once and still remain accurate
c. can be poured after 24 hours and still remain accurate
d. rebound from undercuts without permanent deformation
e. may released hydrogen gas during setting

2. why is it advisable to dispense the liquid component of cement of cement immediately before mixing?
a. to avoid absorption of moisture from the air
b. to avoid spreading over a large area of the slab
c. to allow tempering of the powder by the mixing slab
d. to reduce the temperature influence of the mixing slab
e. to prevent evaporation of the volatile components.

3 Which of the following is the typical interocclusal distance between opposing denture teeth at the
physiological rest position?
a. 0.0-0.15 mm
b. 2.0-4.0 mm
c. 4.5-5.5 mm
d 6.0-8.0 mm

4 As an X-ray tube operates, electrons carry energy from the cathode to the anode into which of the
following is MOST of this energy converted in the target?
a. heat
b. X ray
c. Magnetism
d. electricity
e. visible light

5 Class II amalgam restoration has a overhang at gingival margin. This might have been caused by which
of the following?
a. poor adaptation of the matrix band
b. poor carving
c. did not wedge the matrix band

6 At what age are all primary teeth normally in occlusion?
a. 1.5-2.0 years
b. 2.5-3.0 years
c. 3.5-4 years
d. >4 years

7 Larger condensers and laterally applied condensation forces are recommended to ensure complete
condensation of which of the following amalgam types?
a. admixed
b. spherical
c. lathe-cut
d. high-copper
e. conventional

9 occlusal sealants succeed by altering which of the following
a. the substrate
b. the bacterial types
c. the bacterial number
d. the bacterial virulence
e. the host's susceptibility

10 probing depth can vary based on the degree of inflammation
frequently, the reduction in probing depth obtained after initial therapy reflects this changes, rather than a
true gain in clinical attachment.
a. both statements are true
b. both statements are false
c. the first statement is true, the second statement is false
d. the first statement is false, the second is true

11 a major advantage to patient treatment with osseointegrated dental implants is a change in the pattern of
edentulous ridge resorption, which of the following is believed to be the reason for a more physiologic
loading of the bone
a. delayed loading
b. endosteal loading
c. sequential loading
d. progressive loading
e. mucoperiosteal loading

12 an 18 year old man complains of tingling in his lower lip. an examination discloses a painless, hard
swelling of his mandibular premolar region. the patient first noticed this swelling three weeks ago.
radiograph indicate a loss of cortex and a diffuse radiating pattern of trabeculae in the mass. which of the
following is the MOST likely diagnosis
a. leukemia
b. dentigerous cyst
c. ossifying fibroma
d. osteoma
e. hyperparathyroidism

13 increasing the amount of water in the mix of an improved gypsum die-stone will MOST likely result in
which of the following
a. more expansion and more strength
b. more expansion and less strength
c. less expansion and more strength
d. less expansion and less strength

14 which of the following is recommended for treating the pain of tic douloureux (trigeminal neuralgia)?
a. oxycodone
b. ibuprofen
c. carbamazepine
d. hydrocortisone
e. acetylsalicylic acid

15 which of the following is seen MOST frequently among temporomandibular-joint dysfunction patient
a. depression
b. psychosis
c. sociopathy
d. schizotypical behavior
e. passive-aggressive behavior

16 which of the following diagnostic criteria is the LEAST reliable in the assessment of the pulp status in
the primary dentition
a. swelling
b. pulp testing
c. spontaneous pain
d. internal resorption

17 which of the following explains why the Z-plasty technique used in modifying a labial frenum is
considered to be superior to the diamond technique
a. it is less traumatic
b. it is technically easier
c. it requires fewer sutures
d. it decreases the effects of scar contracture.
e. it allows for closure by secondary intention

18 which of the following MOST accurately explains how biofeedback works
a. it reduced cognitive dissonance
b. it stimulates the sympathetic nervous system
c. it relaz and to some extent hypnotizes the patient
d. it distracts and engages the patient in an active coping task.
e. it enables the patient to gain control of certain physiological function

19 which of the following describes clindamycin
a. inhibits cell wall synthesis
b. does not penetrate well into bony tissue
c. it usually given in combination with erythromycin
d. is effective against gram-negative bacteria only
e. is effective against most anaerobes

20 dentists usually send their cemento-metal restoration cases to dental lab for fabrication. upon receiving
the cases, these technicians MOST frequently complain that the
a. margines have been ill-defined
b. teeth have been insufficiently reduced
c. shades for the restorations have been inadequately described
d. impressions or models are inaccurate

21 which of the following characteristics of autism presents a major obstacle to successful dental
management of an ambulatory patient
a. impaired communication
b. apparent insensitivity to pain
c. lack of intellectual development
d. inability to perform fine-motor activities
e. automation, such as hair twirling and body rocking

22 the prognosis for bleaching is favorable when the discoloration is caused by
a. necrotic pulp tissue
b. amalgam restoration
c. precipitation of metallic salts
d. silver-containing root canal sealers

25 occlusal disharmony in newly inserted complete dentures MOST frequently results from which of the
following
a. improper waxing
b. overextension of borders
c. errors in registering jaw relations
d. changes in supporting structures following insertion of dentures

26 inflammation from periodontal disease usually extends to the bone marrow following
a. trauma from occlusion
b. the nutrient canals
c. the periodontal ligament
d. the course of the vascular channels

27 how many hours per day should a cervical pull headgear be worn to achieve the MOST affective results
a. 6
b. 8
c. 10
d. 12
e. 14

28 which of the following outlines BEST describes the access cavity preparation on a mandibular molar
with four canals
a. oval
b. trapezoidal
c. triangular
d. round

30 which of the following represents in the classic sign or symptom of an anterior displaced disc with
reduction
a. pain
b. closed lock
c. reciprocal click
d. temporal headache
e. decreased range of motion

31 when evaluating an extension-base removable partial denture several years after delivery, the dentist
should apply loading forces to the base area. if an indirect retainer elevates from its rest seat under these
forces, then this indicated the need to
a. tighten the clasps
b. adjust the occlusion
c. reline the base area
d. remake the partial denture
e. advise the patient to use a denture adhesive

32. current accept technique for reduced pocket depth except one, which one is exception?
a. gingivectomy
b. gingival curettage
c. S & R
d. debridement surgery
e. osseous surgery

33. When determining the appropriate dose of systemic fluoride supplement for a child, it is MOST
important for the dentist to consider which of the following
a. The fluoride content of the drinking water
b. the child’s diet and caries activity
c. the child ago and the fluoride content of the drinking water
d. the child’s weight and the fluoride content of the drinking water.

34. which of the following statements about the bacterial etiology of enamel surface dental caries is
INCORRECT
a. caries is a transmissible bacterial infection
b. the presence of S. mutans in dental plague means the patient has caries
c. pits and fissures from which S. mutans can be cultured may not become carious

35. a patient who takes dicumarol is probably being treated for
a. hypertension
b. angina pectoris
c. coronary infarct
d. paroxysmal tachycardia
e. congestive heart failure

36. the retentive tip of a clasps arm is placed in an undercut BECAUSE a flexible arm is BEST suited for
reciprocation
a. both the statement and the reason are correct and related
b. both the statement and the reason are correct but NOT related
c. the statement is correct, but the reason is NOT
d. the statement is NOT correct, but the reason is correct
e. NEITHER the statement NOOR the reason is correct

37. which of the following bacteria responsible for odontogenic infections are capable of adapting to either
a high or low oxygen containing environment
a. enteric organism
b. obligate anaerobes
c. facultative organism
d. synergistic organism
e. microaerophilic organism

38. which of the following injuries to the teeth MOST often results in pulpal necrosis
a. avulsion
b. concussion
c. lateral luxation
d. intrusive luxation
e. extrusive luxation

39. which of the following physical signs indicates severe CNS oxygen deprivation
a. dilated pupils with increased light reflex
b. pinpoint pupils with increased light reflex
c. dilated pupils with an absence of light reflex
d. pinpoint pupils with an absence of light reflex
a. porphyria
b. progeria
c. acrodynia
d. cystic fibrosis
e. congenital heart disease

answers of questions,
1. A 2. A 3-B 4-B 5-C 9-E 10-A 13-D 14-C 15-B 16-B 17-D
19-D 20-D 21-A 22-A 25-C 26-D 27-C ( Not sure) 28-C 30-C 33-A 34- A, B

35-C 36-C 37-C 38-C 39-C

last question is incomplete.

hi denzel
here are a few answers
plz let me know if i am wrong
1. Additional cured silicones (polyvinyl Siloxane) are often the materials of choice for impressions for
fixed restorations. Each of the following is true about these materials except one. Which one is this
exception?
a. give off ethyl alcohol during their setting reaction
b. can be poured more than once and still remain accurate
c. can be poured after 24 hours and still remain accurate
d. rebound from undercuts without permanent deformation
e. may released hydrogen gas during setting
d
2. Why is it advisable to dispense the liquid component of cement of cement immediately before mixing?
a. to avoid absorption of moisture from the air
b. to avoid spreading over a large area of the slab
c. to allow tempering of the powder by the mixing slab
d. to reduce the temperature influence of the mixing slab
e. to prevent evaporation of the volatile components.
E
3 which of the following is the typical interocclusal distance between opposing denture teeth at the
physiological rest position?
a. 0.0-0.15 mm
b. 2.0-4.0 mm
c. 4.5-5.5 mm
d 6.0-8.0 mm
b
4 As an X-ray tube operates, electrons carry energy from the cathode to the anode into which of the
a. heat
b. X ray
c. Magnetism
d. electricity
e. visible light
A or B not sure
5 Class II amalgam restoration has a overhang at gingival margin. This might have been caused by which
of the following?
a. poor adaptation of the matrix band
b. poor carving
c. did not wedge the matrix band
c
6 At what age are all primary teeth normally in occlusion?
a. 1.5-2.0 years
b. 2.5-3.0 years
c. 3.5-4 years
d. >4 years
a
7 Larger condensers and laterally applied condensation forces are recommended to ensure complete
condensation of which of the following amalgam types?
a. admixed
b. spherical
c. lathe-cut
d. high-copper
e. conventional

9 occlusal sealants succeed by altering which of the following
a. the substrate
b. the bacterial types
c. the bacterial number
d. the bacterial virulence
e. the host's susceptibility
a
10 probing depth can vary based on the degree of inflammation
frequently, the reduction in probing depth obtained after initial therapy reflects this changes, rather than a
true gain in clinical attachment.
a. both statements are true
b. both statements are false
c. the first statement is true, the second statement is false
d. the first statement is false, the second is true
a???
11 a major advantage to patient treatment with osseointegrated dental implants is a change in the pattern of
edentulous ridge resorption, which of the following is believed to be the reason for a more physiologic
loading of the bone
a. delayed loading
b. endosteal loading
c. sequential loading
d. progressive loading
e. mucoperiosteal loading
d
12 an 18 year old man complains of tingling in his lower lip. an examination discloses a painless, hard
swelling of his mandibular premolar region. the patient first noticed this swelling three weeks ago.
radiograph indicate a loss of cortex and a diffuse radiating pattern of trabeculae in the mass. which of the
following is the MOST likely diagnosis
a. leukemia
b. dentigerous cyst
c. ossifying fibroma
d. osteoma
e. hyperparathyroidism
c
13 increasing the amount of water in the mix of an improved gypsum die-stone will MOST likely result in
which of the following
b
14 which of the following is recommended for treating the pain of tic douloureux (trigeminal neuralgia)?
a. oxycodone
b. ibuprofen
c. carbamazepine
d. hydrocortisone
e. acetylsalicylic acid
c.
15 which of the following is seen MOST frequently among temporomandibular-joint dysfunction patient
a. depression
b. psychosis
c. sociopathy
d. schizotypical behavior
e. passive-aggressive behavior
a.
16 which of the following diagnostic criteria is the LEAST reliable in the assessment of the pulp status in
the primary dentition
a. swelling
b. pulp testing
c. spontaneous pain
d. internal resorption
d

a. heat
b. X ray
c. Magnetism
d. electricity
e. visible light
A or B not sure
it should be A: Heat because only 1% convert to x-ray and 99% convert to heat.

which of the following
it should be answer ; d

When high proportion of water is used, the powder particles are farther part. This results in less expansion with a ******ed setting time and a weaker product. (Wrriten in dental decks)

the primary dentition
a. swelling
b. pulp testing
c. spontaneous pain
d. internal resorption

i think it should be pulp testing ( electrical pulp testing) it is never reliable in deciduous teeth.

i agree with you stelon..........after i posted i checked up the decks(i havent started preparing for part 2 as yet) and found that i wa wrong
was gonna correct the first thing in the morning :oops:
thanks for the correction

ha guys,i took my part 2 yesterday,i like to tell something,concentrate moor on radiographs,and doc.... patient communication,and pharmac asusual,
goodluck guys

madhuch said:
ha guys,i took my part 2 yesterday,i like to tell something,concentrate moor on radiographs,and doc.... patient communication,and pharmac asusual,
goodluck guys

Hi madhuch...thanks for the info..can u let us know what materials u used to prepare for the exam?
How were the radiographs..i have heard that they all look very vague.Was it easy to decipher??

Which subject other than pharm was given most importance.
Thanks and good luck!!!

2thdoc said:
HI there

2thdoc

hi, my name is sandaldeep i gave part1 in dec. 2005 scored 86 . i know this is not enough to get into school ,what you people sugggest me to do.give part1 again or give part2

hello
con moor on decks and q..papers and thats enough also,yes radiographs looks very different , its hard to decide with that radiographs,try to con moor on ptho pictures,booklet is not enough, read everything about flourides,
goodluck

thanks!! and good luck!

hei

Does anybody have Part 2 released papers???? I am taking part 2 next month. I would really be thankful if i can get it from anybody.Thank you.

Hi guys planning to take part 2 in summer. where sh'd I prepare for radiographs from? plz give me advise soon

Thanks in advance,

19 year - old man has a deep, carious lesion on a mandibular first molar. He has no histroy of spontaneous pain but the tooth is sensitive when he eats candy and drinks cold drinks or chews in the quardent. On examination tooth respond to electric pupl tester and is not sensitive to percussion or palpation. The tooth is restorable, no periodntal or occlusal probems are evident.

Q. The definitive diagnosis is
1. reversibile pulpitis with acute apical periodontitis
2. reversibile pulpitis with normal apcal tissue
3. irrversibile pulpitis with normal apical tissue
4. irrversible pulpitis with acute periodontitis
5. NOne of the above. there is not enough information to make a definitive diagnosis

Ans - 5

as i read this question - i though it sh'd be answer - 2 bcz it is sensitive to cold and sweet.
what you guys say plz help me.

2thdoc said:
HI there

2thdoc

I am going to do it on dec But I don't have proper books for reference.Please reply me
Rajith

madhuch said:
goodluck guys

I need NBDE part 2 unrelesed papers .If somebody is having those please tell me.
Rajith

hi,
I need all study material for Part 2.
Anyone interested in selling ??
Help appreciated.
THANX

Does somebody knows what good books are for public health or behavior science to study? Please, advice.

32Dentist said:
19 year - old man has a deep, carious lesion on a mandibular first molar. He has no histroy of spontaneous pain but the tooth is sensitive when he eats candy and drinks cold drinks or chews in the quardent. On examination tooth respond to electric pupl tester and is not sensitive to percussion or palpation. The tooth is restorable, no periodntal or occlusal probems are evident.

Q. The definitive diagnosis is
1. reversibile pulpitis with acute apical periodontitis
2. reversibile pulpitis with normal apcal tissue
3. irrversibile pulpitis with normal apical tissue
4. irrversible pulpitis with acute periodontitis
5. NOne of the above. there is not enough information to make a definitive diagnosis

Ans - 5

as i read this question - i though it sh'd be answer - 2 bcz it is sensitive to cold and sweet.
what you guys say plz help me.

its a tricky question.like always in these exams no matter how strong your theory knowledge is it is important to be smart to recognise what are aiming at.
about this question one thing for sure is,
-it is a chronic carious lesion,
-no periodontal or traumatic occlusion invovement
-can be assumed to be a reversible pulpitis situation (if we can rely solely on electric pulp testing and tooth percussion and palpation to rule out periapical or periodontal involvement).however there is no mention of radiographic finding.
-tooth is restorable but not clear how,if its a restoration only or a pulpotomy or rct.
-i would think if there was no choice 5 then the answer would be choice 2.

dentalworld said:
Hi all,

I am also planning to give my exam in nov end so lets start.

Hi Everyone, count me in for part 2 prep.

:laugh:

count me in. I had pass the partI, and going to prepare for partII in Aug. may I ???
2thdoc said:
HI there

2thdoc

doc12 said:
hi,
I need all study material for Part 2.
Anyone interested in selling ??
Help appreciated.
THANX

If you still need the Part II materials let me know.

pedo said:
If you still need the Part II materials let me know.
Hi,
I took my part II 2 weeks ago. It was not easy. Pay attention on implantology, patient behaviour,X-rays and oral pathology pictures. I used Kaplan courses and released exams. I think Dental decks are not enough helpfull for second part.
Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply.

orthowiz said:
its a tricky question.like always in these exams no matter how strong your theory knowledge is it is important to be smart to recognise what are aiming at.
-can be assumed to be a reversible pulpitis situation (if we can rely solely on electric pulp testing and tooth percussion and palpation to rule out periapical or periodontal involvement).however there is no mention of radiographic finding.
-tooth is restorable but not clear how,if its a restoration only or a pulpotomy or rct.

HI friends,
anybody in the bay area preparing for part II?
i am intrested so if u want contact me at [email protected]
i would also appreciate if anybody else (who is not in bayarea) wants to start their preprations.
I am starting from 25 june.
Reply.

Does anyone know a site with fotos or sketch that I can learn about the structure of partial removable dentures ( just to associate the name to the parts)
thanks folks.

orthowiz said:
i agree with you...........i was told in my dental school tht a diagnosis abt periapical tissue can be given only on the basis of a rgph. the fact tht option 2 mentions apical tissue makes it a wrong choice........no spontaneous pain, sentivity to sweets are indicative of reversible pulpitis......tooth should be restorable though might need liner or smth. like to knowwhat rest might think???

dusja said:
Hi,
I took my part II 2 weeks ago. It was not easy. Pay attention on implantology, patient behaviour,X-rays and oral pathology pictures. I used Kaplan courses and released exams. I think Dental decks are not enough helpfull for second part.
Good luck!

Hi,

I am going to take part2. Would you mind tell me your study schedule when you prepared the exam.

Thank you very much!

hello I need some materaial for oart 2 tx plan i took this test before was very dificult specialy the 2 day be careful with the time plaese if anybady has some materail to share i will aprecited I had also some I can email to you please help USC test in the web is no availibele anymore I am taking the test very soon

planning to take exam in may 07 and looking for a partner

Hi
I am also preparing for Part2 and wish to take it around in May....lets get together to hit it....
besties

count me in people..i am so much relaxed after my admission that i dont feel like picking up the books again..kinda exausted..may be in a group i will pick up the tempo. some pls give a breif outline of how to prepare.
thanks
rodent