Part II study group!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,
I m also plannig to take part 2 in may '07..count me too

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I plan o take part 2 in end of march .Count on me too.What material are you guys going thru for part 2?
good luck guys.
molaris.

hi everyone,
i am planning to start my preparation for part 2.......approximately how many months do you think would it take to do the preparation and what all material is required for it.........i would really appreciate everyone's help.....

Members don't see this ad :)
1)c
2) Dentin Is The Least Dense

Hi everyone,
I m also plannig to take part 2 in may '07..count me too

hi all,

count me in.I am planning to take part 2 in may.please let me know when u begin.Thanks

Hello friends
Can someone pls tell me if its necessary to join kaplan courses or just the kaplan review notes and tests along with the decks and text books is sufficient...thanks

hey friends,

i am also planning to start studying for part 2 .... does anyone have all the study material compiled in a CD and is willing to sell it at a reasonable price? Please PM me..

thanks in advance
ras2006

if folks are interested in studying together, it makes it a lot easier if ppl r in the same area. sdn and email and great for some to study online, but others study better in person.

Hey Guys..
I started my prep recently but lemme put this guys, as in Pharmacology part is crazy...:rolleyes: :eek:
Wat have u all thought...i hv strted on decks but i dont think we can retain much if keep studing decks...what books will be good refer and help in retaining in a more planned way....? i know of Lippincott but want u guys to put input on this and we can coordinate as to wat can be the best book for PPPhhhhaaaarmmcology....is good...:p
help help help....

hey friends ,
count me in too...
can anyone tell me which one is the best book for prostho specially for partial dentures????? (fpd/rpd) and also for pharmac....????.I agree with dentist-79 and I think reading decks wont be enough.....so please help us....any advice and help will be appreciated .....thanks in advance.....:)

guys put suggestions.......?????????

Members don't see this ad :)
19 year - old man has a deep, carious lesion on a mandibular first molar. He has no histroy of spontaneous pain but the tooth is sensitive when he eats candy and drinks cold drinks or chews in the quardent. On examination tooth respond to electric pupl tester and is not sensitive to percussion or palpation. The tooth is restorable, no periodntal or occlusal probems are evident.

Q. The definitive diagnosis is
1. reversibile pulpitis with acute apical periodontitis
2. reversibile pulpitis with normal apcal tissue
3. irrversibile pulpitis with normal apical tissue
4. irrversible pulpitis with acute periodontitis
5. NOne of the above. there is not enough information to make a definitive diagnosis

Ans - 5

as i read this question - i though it sh'd be answer - 2 bcz it is sensitive to cold and sweet.
what you guys say plz help me.

I will try to answer this question...First based on
History
- no spontaneous pain
- Sensitive to cold and sweet
- Sensitive when chews - irritant occurs

Clinical exam
- Deep carious lession
- Reponded to EPT
- Negative to percusion and palpation - it's means no periapical lesion

X-ray
- There is no information given.

From the information given, history and clinical examination, I believe the information is enough. You can add supprotive information which is dental x-ray. However, you need to remember that Dental x-ray cannot be used to diagnosed caries disease - it is just to assist and support the diag - so number 5 is wrong. Negative to percuison and palpation means PDL is normal and no periapical lessions, eliminate answer 1 and 4. The tooth have no spontaneous pain history, positive in EPT test and sensitive when irritants are introduced and remember the keyword sensitive, which means not pain. I would say it is a vital tooth with reversible pulpitis (2). So the correct answer is (2).

exam in march 19 and 20 anyone with me ????

i am looking for a study partner for part 2 preparation...anyone interested please pm me....

hi want to sell my part2 decks hard copy and colour atlas and casestudies,in a excellent condition,[email protected]

Hey Guys..
I started my prep recently but lemme put this guys, as in Pharmacology part is crazy...:rolleyes: :eek:
Wat have u all thought...i hv strted on decks but i dont think we can retain much if keep studing decks...what books will be good refer and help in retaining in a more planned way....? i know of Lippincott but want u guys to put input on this and we can coordinate as to wat can be the best book for PPPhhhhaaaarmmcology....is good...:p
help help help....

Well i like Lippincott alot...it's truly a great book. Have you tried "Pharmacology made ridiculously simple" ?

I am also planning to give part 2 in july this year.I live in Toronto if anyone wants to study jointly please call me on 416 876 2377 or send me an email on [email protected].
:)

:) Hi, is any one near Pasadena, California who wants to team up for Part II studies. Need a partner or team to meet up with to get down to business in studies. This "self-study" :mad: is not exactly working out too well. Aiming for a 1 or 2 month crash study before the exam. Can start from scratch or I can catch up.

Im 26 M. :cool: I don't mind M/F. Just somebody or people who are committed to study. About 3-4 days a week for 4-5 hours per day. Let me know please!

:) Hi, is any one near Pasadena, California who wants to team up for Part II studies. Need a partner or team to meet up with to get down to business in studies. This "self-study" :mad: is not exactly working out too well. Aiming for a 1 or 2 month crash study before the exam. Can start from scratch or I can catch up.

Im 26 M. :cool: I don't mind M/F. Just somebody or people who are committed to study. About 3-4 days a week for 4-5 hours per day. Let me know please!

Hey,

I live at LA and would like to pass part II in one month. please contact me at [email protected] if you want to study together as a group.

hi i have some questions plz help me with them...
Here is some food for your thought:
-Exfoliative cytology will help diagnose
1-Candidiasis. 2-Herpetic gingivostomatitis. 3-shingles. 4-cold sores. 5-chiken pox. 6-hairy leukoplakia.

-Loss of proximal contact in class II amalgam is most probably due to MUTLIPLE ANSWERS
1-over-tightened matrix. 2-improperly placed wedge. 3-insuffecient condensation. 4-simultaneously placed restorations in adjacent teeth.

-A child with acute herpetic gingivostomatitis, the most appropriate treatment is
1-Topical antiviral. 2-Topical antifungal. 3-Antibiotic. 4-Analgesic & hydration management.

-The effect of local anesthesia injected directly (thru access cavity) into a very inflamed pulp depends on
1-Dissociation factor(PKa) of L.A agent. 2-% of vasoconstrictor in solution. 3-Forceful injection. (1or3?)

-The major reason not to extract a mandibular 3rd molar accompanied with pericoronitis is fear of
1-Osteomyelitits. 2-Spread of infection. 3-Anesthesia won’t work. 4-Bacteremia.

-A bitewing radiograph in a mixed dentition, should include what surfaces
1-Mesial of 1st primary molar to distal of 1st permanent molar. 2-Distal of canine to mesial of 1st permanent molar. 3-Mesial of 1st primary molar to mesial of 1st permanent molar. 4-Distal of canine to distal of 1st permanent molar.

-The appliance that is going to interfere the most with speech is
A-anterior & posterior palatal bar. B-Thick narrow palatal plate. C-Narrow horse-shoe shaped appliance(used when there is a palatal torus). D-Thin broad palatal strap.

-In periapical films, the coronoid process can obliterate the apices of
A- Maxillary 3rd molars. B- Maxillary 2nd molars. C- Mandibular 3rd molars. D- Mand 2nd molars.

-Difference between Osteosarcoma & fibrous dysplasia is that osteosarcoma
A- can invade soft tissue. B- is an ill-defined radiolucency. C- is Malignant. D- difficult to irradiate(?) from normal bone.

-In bruxism, what is in action
1- A Delta & C fibers. 2- Sphenopalatine ganglion. 3- Basilar ganglion. 4- ?
(some people think it is A delta & C fibers)

-Chronic Nasal constriction with resultant mouth breathing, may cause
A- Increase in lower facial height. B- Increase in lower facial height & maxillary constriction. C- Increase in lower facial height, maxillary constriction & crowding of lower anterior teeth. D- Difficult to evaluate.

-Which is more apt to cause displacement of neighboring teeth
A- Dentigerous cyst. B- periapical Abscess. C- Radicular cyst. D- Lateral periodontal cyst. E-Cementoma.

-Infrabony pocket occurs mostly in
A- Cancellous bone. B- Cortical bone. C- Interseptal bone. D- Bundle bone.

-Primary reason for mandibular growth: MULTIPLE ANSWERS
A-Genetic. B-epigenetic. C- Functional. D- Environmental.
(epigenetic: refers to inheritable information that is encoded by modifications of the genome and chromatin components that affects gene expression. It does not include changes in the base sequence of DNA)

-Fracture of mandible during normal mustication; most probably due to:
A- Large intraosseous lesion. B- Osteoporosis. C- An impacted tooth along the lower border.

-Cementum & dentine blunting (resorption at apex) with non-vital tooth; is what type of resorption
1-surface. 2-Replacement. 3-inflammatory. 4-intraradicular.

-1-Accessory canals are most probably found in the
1-cervical 3rd. 2-middle 3rd. 3-apical 3rd of the root.

-When placing a full crown on a tooth with large MOD amalgam restoration; you place the finishing line
a-on amalgam. b-1mm gingival to amalgam. c-2mm gingival to amalgam. d-same level as amalgam ends.

-A radiolucent multilocular expansile lesion in the mandible which shows benign giant cells and … and fibers; what should you do
1-order further microscopic examination. 2-examine blood calcium. 3-prescribe antibiotic therapy.

-Of the following; The most important diagnostic element to assess perio status of a patient is
1-vitality tests. 2-radiograph appearance. 3-depth of pockets. 4-mobility of tooth

-In gingivitis predominant bacteria is
1- gr+. 2-gr-. 3-diplococi. 4-spirochetes

-Which indicate cracked tooth
1-Periapical radiolucency. 2-pain upon pressure. 3-negative vitality tests. 4-hypersensitivity to thermal stimuli

-Which of the following will increase the chance of a replantation of an avulsed tooth
1-placing tooth into mouth. 2-placing tooth into physiologic saline water. 3-placing tooth into fluoride. 4-waiting till next day.

-Most common cause of class II division 1 malocclusion
1- Maxillary prognathism. 2-maxillary retrognathism. 3-mandibular prognathism. 4-mandibular retrognathism.

-which of the following is most resistant to antibiotics
1)streptococci. 2)lactobaclilli. 3)staphylococci
(staphylococcus aureus and streptococcus pneumococcus are the most antibiotic resistant).

-a patient with severe bleeding disorder; which of the following holds the least risk:
1)injection of inf.alv.nerve block. 2)a subgingival restoration. 3)scalling supragingivally

-After relining mandibular bi-distal extension RPD, the occlusal rests are seated but the acrylic base doesn’t fit in place. Most probably due to
1)resorption of alveolar ridge. 2)shrinkage of denture base material.

-causes of composite polymerization shrinkage during setting
1-Evaporation of the by-product. 2-Evaporation of unreacted monomer. 3-temp change occurring during polymerization. 4-replacment of 1ry bonds by 2ry bonds (or 2ry bonds by 1ry bonds, can't remember)

-which has better prognosis regarding furcation involvement
1) wide furcation. 2)narrow furcation.

-a patient whose mandible deviates to left upon opening causing a unilateral crossbite; when he closes in centric he presents bilateral cross bite and the midline is concomitant. This patient has
1)two separate occlusions. 2)true unilateral crossbite. 3)hypertrophy of one of the TMJs. 4)occlusal interference.

-FAILURE after treatment of furcations is indicated by
1)widening of furcation. 2)narrowing of furcation. 3)formation of furcation ride(?).

-Which of the following is not associated with Infectious mononucleosis (MULTIPLE ANSWERS??)
1-Pharyngitis. 2-Lymphadenopathy. 3-Peteciae. 4-Gingival enlargement. 5-Fatigue.

-The most important mechanical property for a PFM long & narrow span brige is
1-elastic modulus. 2-P.L. 3-Toughness. 4-Tensile strength.
(elastic modulus is most important if I fear deformation as high elastic modulus will mean high stresses are needed to produce a specific strain, while Toughness is most important if I fear fracture as high toughness means high energy is needed to produce fracture)

-major vascular supply of buccal gingiva is thru
1)intra-alveolar vessels. 2)Superficial vessels. 3)PDL vessels.

-34 yr old male with night sweats, weight loss, male anorexia, low grade fever. Clinical exam shows nodular, ulcerated lesion on the palate. This is mostly
1-Viral hepatitis. 2-infectious mononucleosis. 3-tuberculosis. 4-actinomycosis.

-27 yrs old complains of burning mouth, fatigue, palpitation, lack of energy. Clinical exam shows angular cheilitis & atrophic glossitis. Most probable diagnosis is
1-Iron deficiency. 2-Crohn's disease. 3-Chronic lymphocytic leukemia. 4-plummer Vinson syndrome

-Patient with anaphylactic shock is given epinephrine because it (MULTIPLE ANSWERS?)
1-reduces heart rate. 2-relaxe respiratory muscle. 3-???. 4-causes vasoconstriction of vascular smooth muscles.
acute localized periodontal abcess treatment
1-root planning & scaling. 2-occlusion adjustment. 3-antibiotics. 4-analgesic.

-Lipid-soluble vitamin MULTIPLE ANSWERS
1-Vitamin E:antioxidant. 2-Vitamin C:healing&collagen formation. 3-Vitamin K:prothrombin formation. 4-Vitamin A:integrity & proliferation of mucosal tissues.

-Primary radiograph for endo is to determine
1-working length. 2-shape of chamber & canals.

user_offline.gif
dentistrylover
View Public Profile
Send a private message to dentistrylover
Find More Posts by dentistrylover
Add dentistrylover to Your Buddy List

var addthis_pub = 'leeburnett';

hi,
will try to ans as much as i can.

hi i have some questions plz help me with them...
Here is some food for your thought:
-Exfoliative cytology will help diagnose
1-Candidiasis*. 2-Herpetic gingivostomatitis. 3-shingles. 4-cold sores. 5-chiken pox. 6-hairy leukoplakia.

-Loss of proximal contact in class II amalgam is most probably due to MUTLIPLE ANSWERS
1-over-tightened matrix.* 2-improperly placed wedge. 3-insuffecient condensation.* 4-simultaneously placed restorations in adjacent teeth.

-A child with acute herpetic gingivostomatitis, the most appropriate treatment is
1-Topical antiviral. 2-Topical antifungal. 3-Antibiotic. 4-Analgesic & hydration management.*

-The effect of local anesthesia injected directly (thru access cavity) into a very inflamed pulp depends on
1-Dissociation factor(PKa) of L.A agent. 2-% of vasoconstrictor in solution.* 3-Forceful injection. (1or3?)

-The major reason not to extract a mandibular 3rd molar accompanied with pericoronitis is fear of
1-Osteomyelitits. 2-Spread of infection. 3-Anesthesia won’t work. 4-Bacteremia.*

-A bitewing radiograph in a mixed dentition, should include what surfaces
1-Mesial of 1st primary molar to distal of 1st permanent molar. 2-Distal of canine to mesial of 1st permanent molar. 3-Mesial of 1st primary molar to mesial of 1st permanent molar. 4-Distal of canine to distal of 1st permanent molar.*

-The appliance that is going to interfere the most with speech is
A-anterior & posterior palatal bar. B-Thick narrow palatal plate. C-Narrow horse-shoe shaped appliance(used when there is a palatal torus). D-Thin broad palatal strap.*

-In periapical films, the coronoid process can obliterate the apices of
A- Maxillary 3rd molars.* B- Maxillary 2nd molars. C- Mandibular 3rd molars. D- Mand 2nd molars.

-Difference between Osteosarcoma & fibrous dysplasia is that osteosarcoma
A- can invade soft tissue. B- is an ill-defined radiolucency. C- is Malignant. D- difficult to irradiate(?) from normal bone.

-In bruxism, what is in action
1- A Delta & C fibers.* 2- Sphenopalatine ganglion. 3- Basilar ganglion. 4- ?
(some people think it is A delta & C fibers)

-Chronic Nasal constriction with resultant mouth breathing, may cause
A- Increase in lower facial height. B- Increase in lower facial height & maxillary constriction. C- Increase in lower facial height, maxillary constriction & crowding of lower anterior teeth.* D- Difficult to evaluate.

-Which is more apt to cause displacement of neighboring teeth
A- Dentigerous cyst.* (not sure) B- periapical Abscess. C- Radicular cyst. D- Lateral periodontal cyst. E-Cementoma.

-Infrabony pocket occurs mostly in
A- Cancellous bone. B- Cortical bone. C- Interseptal bone.*(not sure) D- Bundle bone.

-Primary reason for mandibular growth: MULTIPLE ANSWERS
A-Genetic. B-epigenetic. C- Functional.*(not sure) D- Environmental.
(epigenetic: refers to inheritable information that is encoded by modifications of the genome and chromatin components that affects gene expression. It does not include changes in the base sequence of DNA)

-Fracture of mandible during normal mustication; most probably due to:
A- Large intraosseous lesion. B- Osteoporosis.* C- An impacted tooth along the lower border.

-Cementum & dentine blunting (resorption at apex) with non-vital tooth; is what type of resorption
1-surface. 2-Replacement.* 3-inflammatory. 4-intraradicular.

-1-Accessory canals are most probably found in the
1-cervical 3rd. 2-middle 3rd.* 3-apical 3rd of the root.

-When placing a full crown on a tooth with large MOD amalgam restoration; you place the finishing line
a-on amalgam. b-1mm gingival to amalgam.* (or) c-2mm gingival to amalgam. d-same level as amalgam ends.*

-A radiolucent multilocular expansile lesion in the mandible which shows benign giant cells and … and fibers; what should you do
1-order further microscopic examination. 2-examine blood calcium. 3-prescribe antibiotic therapy.

-Of the following; The most important diagnostic element to assess perio status of a patient is
1-vitality tests. 2-radiograph appearance. 3-depth of pockets.* 4-mobility of tooth

-In gingivitis predominant bacteria is
1- gr+. 2-gr-* . 3-diplococi. 4-spirochetes

-Which indicate cracked tooth
1-Periapical radiolucency. 2-pain upon pressure.* 3-negative vitality tests. 4-hypersensitivity to thermal stimuli

-Which of the following will increase the chance of a replantation of an avulsed tooth
1-placing tooth into mouth.* 2-placing tooth into physiologic saline water. 3-placing tooth into fluoride. 4-waiting till next day.

-Most common cause of class II division 1 malocclusion
1- Maxillary prognathism.* 2-maxillary retrognathism. 3-mandibular prognathism. 4-mandibular retrognathism.

-which of the following is most resistant to antibiotics
1)streptococci. 2)lactobaclilli. 3)staphylococci
(staphylococcus aureus and streptococcus pneumococcus are the most antibiotic resistant).

-a patient with severe bleeding disorder; which of the following holds the least risk:
1)injection of inf.alv.nerve block. * 2)a subgingival restoration. 3)scalling supragingivally

-After relining mandibular bi-distal extension RPD, the occlusal rests are seated but the acrylic base doesn’t fit in place. Most probably due to
1)resorption of alveolar ridge. 2)shrinkage of denture base material.*

-causes of composite polymerization shrinkage during setting
1-Evaporation of the by-product. 2-Evaporation of unreacted monomer.*(not sure) 3-temp change occurring during polymerization. 4-replacment of 1ry bonds by 2ry bonds (or 2ry bonds by 1ry bonds, can't remember)

-which has better prognosis regarding furcation involvement
1) wide furcation. 2)narrow furcation.

-a patient whose mandible deviates to left upon opening causing a unilateral crossbite; when he closes in centric he presents bilateral cross bite and the midline is concomitant. This patient has
1)two separate occlusions. 2)true unilateral crossbite. 3)hypertrophy of one of the TMJs. 4)occlusal interference.

-FAILURE after treatment of furcations is indicated by
1)widening of furcation. 2)narrowing of furcation. 3)formation of furcation ride(?).

-Which of the following is not associated with Infectious mononucleosis (MULTIPLE ANSWERS??)
1-Pharyngitis. 2-Lymphadenopathy.* 3-Peteciae. 4-Gingival enlargement. 5-Fatigue.

-The most important mechanical property for a PFM long & narrow span brige is
1-elastic modulus. 2-P.L. 3-Toughness. 4-Tensile strength.
(elastic modulus is most important if I fear deformation as high elastic modulus will mean high stresses are needed to produce a specific strain, while Toughness is most important if I fear fracture as high toughness means high energy is needed to produce fracture)

-major vascular supply of buccal gingiva is thru
1)intra-alveolar vessels. 2)Superficial vessels. 3)PDL vessels.

-34 yr old male with night sweats, weight loss, male anorexia, low grade fever. Clinical exam shows nodular, ulcerated lesion on the palate. This is mostly
1-Viral hepatitis. 2-infectious mononucleosis. 3-tuberculosis. 4-actinomycosis.

-27 yrs old complains of burning mouth, fatigue, palpitation, lack of energy. Clinical exam shows angular cheilitis & atrophic glossitis. Most probable diagnosis is
1-Iron deficiency.* 2-Crohn's disease. 3-Chronic lymphocytic leukemia. 4-plummer Vinson syndrome

-Patient with anaphylactic shock is given epinephrine because it (MULTIPLE ANSWERS?)
1-reduces heart rate. 2-relaxe respiratory muscle.* 3-???. 4-causes vasoconstriction of vascular smooth muscles.
acute localized periodontal abcess treatment
1-root planning & scaling.* 2-occlusion adjustment. 3-antibiotics. 4-analgesic.

-Lipid-soluble vitamin MULTIPLE ANSWERS
1-Vitamin E:antioxidant.* 2-Vitamin C:healing&collagen formation. 3-Vitamin K:prothrombin formation.* 4-Vitamin A:integrity & proliferation of mucosal tissues*.
(A,D,E,K are lipid soluble).

-Primary radiograph for endo is to determine
1-working length. 2-shape of chamber & canals.*

user_offline.gif
dentistrylover
View Public Profile
Send a private message to dentistrylover
Find More Posts by dentistrylover
Add dentistrylover to Your Buddy List

var addthis_pub = 'leeburnett';

hi guys,
anyone planning to give part 2 end of sept 2007?

and if yes, is anyone staying in MA? willing for combined studies???

hi, I have part 2 question paper booklets for sale, they are new and never been used .........if anyone interested pls pm me.........thank you.

Hey,
I studied from home too and you can help yourself if you can join kaplans as you will have access to everything there.But even if you dont ,you can study at home -I did and though i dont have a gr8 score :cool: its enough to be of use.Part 2 is different as there are fields which are completely new to people like us .But you can work hard solve the asda papers,know your decks thoroughly and try and get hold of some books for cinical cases and pharmac,i know there are some i dont know their names you can find them on one of the threads.Its not that tough!!Just work hard and make sure you know your clinical cases well.What you cant find in the decks you can find it through links on this forum pictures ,information, and of course us :) to encourage you.Hope that helps. :thumbup:

Hi there,
Could u plz help me with 2 Qs I've got?

How can we get help from kaplan membership?( I suppose u mean getting a membership to kaplan's website)I mean can we get the answer to our Qs which r not in decks?

What links on this Forums can help us with our Qs and provide us with case-based Qs and pistures?
thanks
Serveh

HI there

I will be starting prep for Part II soon.Plan to do so from 1st August.Calling all those who plan to take part II in/after Dec to join me.Lets start from scratch and go about it in a well-organized manner.What say?

All those please reply to this thread with info and suggestions.

NBDE part II.....here we come!

2thdoc
HI there,

plz count me too. Could u plz help me withanswering how me make a study
group?I'm quite new to this forum and don't know how could we contact each other all and get help?:):thumbup:

hi guys,
cud u ans the follo.
1.maximum no. of implants allowed in each arch.

2.Dysplasia is related to which of the follo.
diabetes
preg
leukemia
puberty

3.how far shud implants be placed frm each other
3mm
4mm
5mm
7mm

i dont have much time.appearing the day after for exam.....thnx