Part-time EMT-B Opportunities abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Archdelux

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am going to be a new EMT-B this summer, and would like to put my skills to work next summer. I had done research this summer and during the year, and I would like to work as an EMT-B to gain more clinical experience before I go to med school. I will work as a volunteer for my campus BLS service during the year.

I also wanted to go abroad (most likely to England) next summer, and I thought it would be a great idea to combine EMT and studying abroad. Have any of you guys tried doing this? Any advice? Is this a feasible goal, or will reciprocity be too much of a hassle?

Also, I've looked into trying to work as an EMT-B in other states (I live in Texas), and quite a few have certain requirements that will make reciprocity not worth it for only working for a summer. I will be National Registry certified--are there certain states that will accept that and not require you to take additional classes and all that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you about working as an EMT in another country, but I will tell you about Illinois. Illinois has reciprocity with NREMT-B. All you have to do is send the Illinois Department of Public Health(IDPH) a copy of your NREMT-B certificate and they send you back a Illinois EMT-B liscense. So, if you wanted to work in Illinois all you have to do is allow enough time for you to send in your certificate and get your liscense back.

Reciprocity between countries is a long and difficult process at best. The closest comparison to the American EMT-B is the Irish NQEMT (Nationally Qualified EMT)- http://www.phecc.ie/

As for England, good luck. Their system for education is rather different than ours so I would not hold out much hope for the ability to gain your EMS credential over there without a lot of effort and headache.

Indiana has much the same approach as Illinois (where I am certified). If you have NREMT, you're pretty much in. Most states don't require additional classes, but many that don't automatically reciprocate based on NREMT or legal recognition of another state's credential require you to take the state exam, which is often just an old version of or a knockoff of the NREMT exam .

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info guys. Do you know of other states that have reciprocity with NREMT? I couldn't find a list on google.

Also, how difficult would it be obtaining and pursuing a part-time EMT-Basic job, say, in Chicago? I would rather work in a big city such as CHicago, LA, New York, etc. Any advice?

Thanks!

If you would consider Boston, there are lots of opportunities with private ambulance companies. Fallon is considered the best. You will need a MA license, however, not NREMT. Not sure how you can go about transitioning.

I went abroad with a paramedic certificate a few years back. techically I was listed as a "consultant" but the MD on the ambulance I was with pretty much let me do what I wanted. (Things which would never be done by a medic in the sates) Depending on where you go you might be an "observer."

Mike

PineappleGirl said:
If you would consider Boston, there are lots of opportunities with private ambulance companies. Fallon is considered the best. You will need a MA license, however, not NREMT. Not sure how you can go about transitioning.

Boston EMS itself has been hiring recently, but applying for reciprocity from another state to an MA license is a pain. You will have to sit for a computerized written exam and shell out at least 100 bucks. However, if you're hired by Boston EMS (which hires many basics as well as medics) or one of the private companies, you're bound to see a good amount of action. Both Fallon and Cataldo ambulance companies are the primary services for several large cities just outside of Boston.