Part-time EMT-B opportunities?

Started by ghostfoot
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

G

ghostfoot

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be taking the NRE this summer for EMT-B. I'm a full-time student who requires a lot of time for studying.

I'd really like to get some hands-on experience -- are there many part time jobs for an EMT-B in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Do you usually need to have some connection to get a gig like this? My EMT instructors would probably reccomend me.

Also, I'd deffinately be willing to volunteer if that was the only way to get some experience?

Thanks in advance,

ghostfoot
 
May I recommend posting this question on www.emtcity.com. Chances are good that someone there would be able to point you in the right direction.

BTW, no one refers to it as the NRE.....just say National Registry.
 
If you have any private services in your area, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a part time gig. Part timers are the bread and butter of private companies: no benefits, no seniority, and minimal (if at all) union representation- private services love that!

haha seriously though-- just call up whatever services run in your area. They'll know for sure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most new AMR employees start off as part time
3 24 hr's a month
go ahead and apply but there is a waitlist for most of the Bay Area
 
For AMR, I believe its a half to a year wait list with priorities given to existing employees who want to transfer to SF region. Or you can try Oak town, they might take you right away and youll have fun there......
 
Wow, really? Wait lists? Whats the attraction to EMS over there? I beleive in CT we get some of the highest EMS wages across the country, and the private companies are still always looking for people.
 
fiznat said:
Wow, really? Wait lists? Whats the attraction to EMS over there? I beleive in CT we get some of the highest EMS wages across the country, and the private companies are still always looking for people.

I'm surprised there's a wait list too. I was told during my EMS course that a lot of EMS workers suffer from fast burn-outs, leading to a huge amount of job opportunities for new grads like me.
 
The wait lists are in existance for several reasons:

to get the most experienced emt's hired first

shortage of resources to hire emt (moeny and ambulances)

people getting clinical experience for othe health professions occupying the job

and last but not least people trying to become firefighters padding their resume
 
Biodude said:
I'm surprised there's a wait list too. I was told during my EMS course that a lot of EMS workers suffer from fast burn-outs, leading to a huge amount of job opportunities for new grads like me.
also depends on where you are. Here in Boulder, everyone and their brother is an EMT, and a lot of people want to live here so EMTs from elsewhere apply too. So there is a lot of EMT supply, not a lot of demand.

Also a lot of places are moving towards using EMT/Medic cars, double medic cars, or staffing with Firefighter/EMTs, so it can be hard to find a job as a traditional EMT in 911
 
Yeah, I'll bet. Here in Orange County, the private ambulance companies don't get many opportunities to treat the patient beyond transport and ongoing assessments. The firefighters usually arrive on scene first and perform the necessary interventions and baseline vital signs/assessments. At least, that was my experience with a ride-along.
 
Biodude said:
Yeah, I'll bet. Here in Orange County, the private ambulance companies don't get many opportunities to treat the patient beyond transport and ongoing assessments. The firefighters usually arrive on scene first and perform the necessary interventions and baseline vital signs/assessments. At least, that was my experience with a ride-along.


Yep, basics are screwed in Orange County, no matter where you go. Either you have to do the IFTs (primarily Lynch, with Pacific coming in). You haul granny around to dialysis with, on average, 1-2 "ER calls" a shift. You might get a serious one every once in a while (our SNF's suck out here), but generally the patients are as stable as they can be at 90 y/o with a laundry list of medical problems and medications.

On the other hand, you can do the 911 companies (Shaffer in Costa Mesa, Care through out most of the county, Medix for most of south county, and Doctors in the Irvine area). Fire responds (all of the paramedics are with the fire departments) respond code 3 (L/S) to the calls with the contracted private company responding code 2 (normal driving) most of the time. Out of the 4 calls I had during my ride alongs (I did 2 8 hour ride alongs), we responded code 3 once and only arrived first once (non-code 3). The other times it was more of a "ok, the ambulance is here. Put the patient on the gurney and lets get going to the hosptial."

So, IFT (Lynch and Pacific, and AMR)
Pros: You actually get to do an assessment and treat patients, sometimes.

Cons: Bulk of the work is discharges, dialysis, etc.

911
Pro: Emergencies, some of the time (these companies also do IFTs)

Con: Paramedics arrive first 99.99% of the time, so the only thing you're going to get is sloppy seconds (ALS has already evaluated and started treatment).

Besides this, at the ALS level, OC is still a "mother may I" style of EMS (no base contact is available for BLS, to my understanding. You either call for ALS or transport depending on ETA to the nearest hospital), but moving towards more of a standing protocol, no hospital contact style system. My understanding is that Anaheim is the current test subject for a pure standing protocol system.


Another option in OC is the ER tech route. We have a ton of hospitals here (3 trauma centers, plus about 12 other acute care hospitals). Other options include working first aid at either Wild Rivers water park in Irvine or Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park (Disneyland uses RNs).
 
Thanks for the info, but most of it was very superfluous. For one thing, I've already seen two of the three trauma centers (UCI & Western Med). In fact, I had to do a clinical rotation at UCI Medical Center, where I was informed by the Trauma Techs there that I needed to have Ambulance experience before being allowed to work as an ER Tech in pretty much any hospital in Orange County (d'oh!)

For another thing, I rode along with CARE Ambulance, which is were my "transport & on-going assessment only" observation came from. I've heard that I should stick with CARE or Schaffer if I wanted to stay away from having to head to nursing homes 99% of the time.

By the way, I didn't know that I could work at amusement parks as an EMT-B. That sounds cool 😎 I'll see to getting some job applications from them 👍
 
Hehe, working the theme parks isn't _that_ much more interesting. As with everything else with being a basic, 99.99% of the patients fall into the "I have 120 hours of training to put a band aid on a person" or "I have 120 hours of training, and I can't do anything for this patient" (stomach cramps, for example). Also, the thing to remember about ER techs is that a lot of them started as CNAs or some other job in the hospital and transfered in (I used to work with one of the trauma techs at UCI...).


By the way, CARE stands for "Can't Assess Real Emergencies" and my understanding is that Shaffer is trying to drop the Costa Mesa contract.

Ohh, and for any other OC lurkers reading this, I forgot an ambulance company. Good old Emergency running 911 for Brea. Avoid them like the plague (my understanding is that that company is very strapped for equiptment).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad