Part-Time Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubledouble

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been applying to two types of part-time jobs while studying for the MCAT: patient registrar (answering phone calls, signing in patients, etc) and tutoring for tutor companies. Will the patient registrar job strengthen my application more than the tutoring job?

Patient registrar:
Get to interact with patients and hospital staff
More related to the medical field

Tutoring:
Get to teach kids and be a mentor
Less related to the medical field, more academic based

Members don't see this ad.

My 2 cents... Do the one that's going to better prepare you for medical training and becoming a doctor. If you don't have much experience interacting with patients and want to explore your people skills in this regard, take job A. If you want to show your ability as a teacher or want to become an academic, take job B. Look at your resume as a reflection of your personal strengths and weaknesses, and choose. If you're not considering personal development at all, take the one that pays more.

I've been applying to two types of part-time jobs while studying for the MCAT: patient registrar (answering phone calls, signing in patients, etc) and tutoring for tutor companies. Will the patient registrar job strengthen my application more than the tutoring job?

Patient registrar:
Get to interact with patients and hospital staff
More related to the medical field

Tutoring:
Get to teach kids and be a mentor
Less related to the medical field, more academic based

I'd go with registrar all the way. If you can get into an ED-specific position, that'd be even (read: much) better. These positions will give you a quality of clinical experience comparable to that of ED Tech while often paying better and teaching you skills/knowledge you won't get in med school. Definitely worthwhile.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Zoopeda. If you're short on clinical experience, pick patient registrar. If that's not the case, go with what you'd rather spend your time doing.

Both activities will strengthen your application, though I think that it's hard to say which will look better without knowing more details (what you can get out of the experience, etc.).

Schools do seem to really appreciate teaching experience though. Being able to explain difficult concepts in an easily understood manner is a valuable skill to have. There are many opportunities to 'teach' (in the broadest sense of the word) even outside of academics.

I'd go with whichever experience you think will end up being more meaningful for you (i.e. the one you think you'll be able to talk more passionately about).