Part-time Receptionist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kikara

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just have a quick question about how medical schools see receptionists at a clinic. Medical scribing isn't really a big thing here in Canada (neither is shadowing) but I'm trying to find ways to boost my exposure. Do medical schools look favourably on reception work in clinics/family practices?

Thanks!

EDIT - Could it compensate for low shadowing?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also trying to figure out if I should take a job as a scribe here in the States or as a medical receptionist.
Scribing: $10/hr, inconsistent schedule, benefits provided, lots of exposure to clinic work
Receptionist: $12-14/hr, benefits, public transit pass, 8-5pm 5 days a week, minimal exposure.
I've already shadowed plenty so I'm trying to figure out which would be best for my pre-med applications

Hey Alyvans, if that's you in your picture I recommend changing it. This is an open, public forum, it's a good idea to maintain some anonymity.

1) I'm trying to find ways to boost my exposure. Do medical schools look favourably on reception work in clinics/family practices?

2) Could it compensate for low shadowing?
1) Any type of work where you interact with people is looked on favorably.

If your real question is whether this will be looked on as clinical experience, it depends on your role. So long as you are personally engaging current patients in a helpful way, then you can use the "Employment - Medical/Clinical" tag. A smaller clinic may allow you to expand your role beyond greeting folks at the door, taking their information and payment, and answering phones. You might also be called upon to put patients in rooms, collect their samples, and assist with procedures (as well as possibly cleaning up and doing some basic bookkeeping).

2) No, not if you never observe physician-patient interactions. But a job like this could put you in the way of docs whom you can hit on for shadowing opportunities when your work obligations permit or after your shift is done.

Reactions: 1 user