Part-time vs full-time cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromaticscale

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hate to start a new thread but couldn't find much info on this topic. Anyway, what is the general impression when someone (especially a female) wants to work part-time as a noninvasive cardiologist fresh out of fellowship? I am interested in private practice but am open to semi-private or academic if it means a better lifestyle. Location and lifestyle are more important to me than salary. If it helps, looking to move to an urban, highly populated area in California.

I only ask because I might be in a situation where 1) I start having babies within the first few years of graduation, 2) my SO may not be very present if he takes on a new job that requires him to be gone half the week for travel (and he said it is better if he takes on this kind of job sooner than later due to the "ageism" in his field), and 3) thus I may not have much support from SO while raising kids. I've talked to him about expectations that I want each person to contribute equally in raising kids and doing housework. I also shared my concerns about how my mom was essentially a single mother while working full time and taking care of 2 kids and her own mom.

I prefer working full-time so that my clinical skills and knowledge don't get rusty and to pay off ~$200k of med school debt. He said it is possible he could work part-time in a few years. However, I would just like to prepare as best I can in the case that he takes on that travelling job. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s possible.

Likely not in private practice as you won’t be pulling your fair share for overhead, etc.

But an 0.5 FTE hospital employee is very doable. Likely in a larger group where 0.5 call is easier to absorb and patient panels are often shared or co-managed with employed midlevels… and where “coverage” is emphasized over production.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope your SO makes good, stable money to even consider such a plan. IMO, you should keep all options open, full time or part-time. Gen cards isn't necessarily a bad lifestyle and I'm not sure how much improvement part-time will actually give you. The few part-time cardiologist I know work more than they expected. And part-time can still be difficult with kids. If you don't have family to help out, paying for a nanny while working fulltime may be the overall better move.

It's probably not ideal to go part-time as a new attending and even employed doctors have a "cost" to the hospital. I'm sure there's opportunities out there, but restricting yourself geographically, especially someplace desirable, is only going to make things harder.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope your SO makes good, stable money to even consider such a plan. IMO, you should keep all options open, full time or part-time. Gen cards isn't necessarily a bad lifestyle and I'm not sure how much improvement part-time will actually give you. The few part-time cardiologist I know work more than they expected. And part-time can still be difficult with kids. If you don't have family to help out, paying for a nanny while working fulltime may be the overall better move.

It's probably not ideal to go part-time as a new attending and even employed doctors have a "cost" to the hospital. I'm sure there's opportunities out there, but restricting yourself geographically, especially someplace desirable, is only going to make things harder.
Thanks, yeah I thought so. It wouldn't be very realistic to go only part-time just after fellowship especially when the location I'm looking at is very competitive.
SO currently makes six figures but he wants to advance his career (and I also thinks he secretly just wants to be rich), so if he is offered such a job he would potentially earn near mid-million salary but work 60-70 hours/week. I think at some point, the more money you make it doesn't really matter in the long run and wouldn't make you more happy. I am also thinking about asking family or hiring a nanny.
I guess I will just plan to work full-time and not let his job be a huge factor in what I am looking for in a new job.