Aug 8, 2014
Status
Non-Student
Greetings,

Is it possible to work part-time while in DPT school, particularly later on in the program? Has anyone done so, or does anyone know someone who has? I have a friend who is working her way through nursing school, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that in a the DPT program.

I am considering PT as a second career, and I need to budget how much money I will have to save up before I can think about applying.

Thanks!

twsurfsnow

PT, DPT, MPH
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2012
Cooper City, FL
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Greetings,

Is it possible to work part-time while in DPT school, particularly later on in the program? Has anyone done so, or does anyone know someone who has? I have a friend who is working her way through nursing school, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that in a the DPT program.

I am considering PT as a second career, and I need to budget how much money I will have to save up before I can think about applying.

Thanks!
Talk to your current boss if you go local when you get in. I know some schools also hire the PT students as personal trainers for some extra money, in addition you could always look into graduate assistantships.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Jun 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
It all depends on what kind of student you are. Generally, DPT programs discourage students from having jobs, and most students will say it is impossible to maintain high grades if you try to work. But I know several people who had jobs while in PT school. You have to have amazing time management skills and awesome study habits, but it's doable for some people.

ptisfun2

5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2013
Status
DPT / OTD
I would say about 1/3 - 1/2 of the students work in our program. Some work for faculty, and that is typically 10 hours/week as TA or research help. But many have jobs outside of school (bartending, waitressing, nanny, etc). I think those that work figure out a way to make it work.

May 3, 2014
Phoenix
Status
Physical Therapy Student
I would say about 1/3 - 1/2 of the students work in our program. Some work for faculty, and that is typically 10 hours/week as TA or research help. But many have jobs outside of school (bartending, waitressing, nanny, etc). I think those that work figure out a way to make it work.
I'm glad to hear this - if I get in to one of my local schools, I want to hang on to my current part time job if possible as I have a scholarship attached to it that I don't want to lose.

Jul 4, 2013
Status
Physical Therapy Student
I'm in my second year of school and picked up a babysitting job this semester... I babysit ~ 25-30 hours/month and have really enjoyed having the extra "pocket cash." However -- I have definitely noticed that my grades have slipped a little bit... Last year I was a straight A student, and so far, this semester, its looking like I'll be more of a A- to B student... which is totally fine, but it definitely puts a little more pressure on studying since theres not as much wiggle room

NewTestament

7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2010
Itinerant
Status
DPT / OTD
If you're going to work, you need to be flexible. Don't work at a restaurant or in retail. Sometimes I worked in the administrative building doing paperwork, but I could work whenever I wanted to. Some classmates work as coaches. Others work as personal trainers in the wellness center in my school. Again, flexibility is the key. If you're a part-time student, you can work more.

Reactions: knj27

DesertPT

5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Physical Therapist
If you're going to work, you need to be flexible. Don't work at a restaurant or in retail. Sometimes I worked in the administrative building doing paperwork, but I could work whenever I wanted to. Some classmates work as coaches. Others work as personal trainers in the wellness center in my school. Again, flexibility is the key. If you're a part-time student, you can work more.
+1 to that. I wouldn't commit to a job that had a rigid schedule. Though I haven't done it yet, most say that working during second year is more realistic then first year. When I get to that point I'm hoping to look for something that is 10 or 12 hours a week and lets you work whenever it fits in to your schedule, such as RA/GA for a professor, something like what NewTestament described or maybe even a little private tutoring for bio/A&P students. Just enough to put a few hundred bucks a month in your pocket. :) But we'll see what happens. I've had a job working as an tech in a cancer research lab for most of undergrad and having a job where I can just go in an get things done literally whenever it is convenient (any time of the day or sometimes night unfortunately haha) has been a huge benefit to me as a student. Those jobs are hard to come by no doubt, but I got lucky and am definitely grateful.

twsurfsnow

PT, DPT, MPH
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2012
Cooper City, FL
Status
Physical Therapy Student
+1 to that. I wouldn't commit to a job that had a rigid schedule. Though I haven't done it yet, most say that working during second year is more realistic then first year. When I get to that point I'm hoping to look for something that is 10 or 12 hours a week and lets you work whenever it fits in to your schedule, such as RA/GA for a professor, something like what NewTestament described or maybe even a little private tutoring for bio/A&P students. Just enough to put a few hundred bucks a month in your pocket. :) But we'll see what happens. I've had a job working as an tech in a cancer research lab for most of undergrad and having a job where I can just go in an get things done literally whenever it is convenient (any time of the day or sometimes night unfortunately haha) has been a huge benefit to me as a student. Those jobs are hard to come by no doubt, but I got lucky and am definitely grateful.
I currently work as a salaried clinical researcher with benefits and stock options so I'm hoping I can arrange something to keep my salary lol, but I'll probably have to leave this to do what I'm passionate about.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Nov 3, 2013
What is the class schedule like and when do people find time to work? In between or after classes? On weekends?