Particle Physics degree + Low GPA , aiming to go to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omico

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have recently finished my masters degree in Particle Physics in Toronto with a moderate GPA but I do carry low undergraduate GPA due to the fact that despite the fact I studied hard but it was not smart !
I am planning to go to medical school ,as at this stage of my life I cannot consider to do anything else in my life , I recently got a job in financial industry , but I do feel miserable and I do hate it with all my heart .
In order to become competitive for the Med schools , I am planning to do another undergraduate degree but in Biology this time and aim for all A`s .
I do not know if that is a smart decision and as I am fluent in French I was thinking of Quebec city or Montreal universities !
I kindly appreciate any advice and suggestions as now I am standing in total darkness , please let me know if you can think of any other solutions .

cheers !

Members don't see this ad.

How low is your GPA? Have you taken biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and a biochemistry course? You might think about doing a post-bac rather than a full undergraduate degree. This would seem to be a better use of your time!

Canadian med schools are really competitive from what i hear. Need numbers dude

Members don't see this ad :)
How low is your GPA? Have you taken biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and a biochemistry course? You might think about doing a post-bac rather than a full undergraduate degree. This would seem to be a better use of your time!

Thanks for the comment ! Actually yes , I have taken all kind of Physics courses ( I think this is why my GPA stands at 2.9 !) and one neuro-anatomy during my graduate studies but not biochemistry , I was told by that university that my new undergraduate degree would take only 3 years , but as they have a hospital and teaching staff working there , I though that maybe a kind of formal education which gives me the opportunity to work voluntarily at the related hospital can be good stategy compared to post -bac , but I know the cost and time implications for that considering the fact that I am pushing 35 this year ! what you think ?

Canadian med schools are really competitive from what i hear. Need numbers dude

I think maybe that challenge , makes that effort much appealing to me , but I think on the other hand going to Caribbean medical schools do not guarantee me a job if I want to come back to Canada ! what do you think ?

I think maybe that challenge , makes that effort much appealing to me , but I think on the other hand going to Caribbean medical schools do not guarantee me a job if I want to come back to Canada ! what do you think ?

From what I've read in the forums the general consensus is do NOT go to the Caribbean especially since you already are 35. It takes even longer to come back after you finish school since theres not many residency spots open to foreign educated doctors so it may take you a few years to even come back to Canada. Canadian med schools are notorious for GPA and MCAT. The average entering GPA of a UofT medical school student is 3.8-3.9 with like a 33 MCAT. The cut-off for Western this year is a 130 in CARS which is like 90th percentile (I think they are insane). Other option is to apply to the states for DO but you'll need a really good MCAT score. Have you finished your pre-req courses and taken a look at the MCAT yet?

From what I've read in the forums the general consensus is do NOT go to the Caribbean especially since you already are 35. It takes even longer to come back after you finish school since theres not many residency spots open to foreign educated doctors so it may take you a few years to even come back to Canada. Canadian med schools are notorious for GPA and MCAT. The average entering GPA of a UofT medical school student is 3.8-3.9 with like a 33 MCAT. The cut-off for Western this year is a 130 in CARS which is like 90th percentile (I think they are insane). Other option is to apply to the states for DO but you'll need a really good MCAT score. Have you finished your pre-req courses and taken a look at the MCAT yet?
Thanks so much for the comments and advice ! I know the GPA cut off in Ontario is so high , but what you think of Montreal or Quebec city medical school ? as I am fluent in French I though that maybe there it gives me a better chance for the admission ? And I have to say that except for Physics I have not done any pre-med courses , I mean biology or Biochemistry and that was the main reason for me to think of a 3 year undergraduate degree in Biological sciences ! I appreciate further comments and advice from you !

Thanks so much for the comments and advice ! I know the GPA cut off in Ontario is so high , but what you think of Montreal or Quebec city medical school ? as I am fluent in French I though that maybe there it gives me a better chance for the admission ? And I have to say that except for Physics I have not done any pre-med courses , I mean biology or Biochemistry and that was the main reason for me to think of a 3 year undergraduate degree in Biological sciences ! I appreciate further comments and advice from you !

McGill University's med school has just as high of a GPA requirement as UofT. Although they state on their website that you need to have a minimum 3.0cGPA to apply, they also state anything under 3.4 is not considered competitive and the actual average GPA of admitted students is ~3.7-3.8.
UdM on the other hand is "easier" to get into (my friend got in with a 3.3 or 3.4, can't remember which). So depending on what your actual GPA is, you could throw your hat in the ring there. But speaking French gives you absolutely no weight in the admissions process - being a Quebec resident, however, does.

However if you've only taken physics courses and a neuroanatomy course, you still need to satisfy the biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry requirements.

McGill University's med school has just as high of a GPA requirement as UofT. Although they state on their website that you need to have a minimum 3.0cGPA to apply, they also state anything under 3.4 is not considered competitive and the actual average GPA of admitted students is ~3.7-3.8.
UdM on the other hand is "easier" to get into (my friend got in with a 3.3 or 3.4, can't remember which). So depending on what your actual GPA is, you could throw your hat in the ring there. But speaking French gives you absolutely no weight in the admissions process - being a Quebec resident, however, does.

However if you've only taken physics courses and a neuroanatomy course, you still need to satisfy the biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry requirements.
Thanks a lot for the clarification & advice ! do you think re-doing a 3 year undergraduate degree in Quebec in biological sciences , is a viable route & strategy , then ?

Rather than going after another degree, I would create a custom post-bacc program to satisfy all of the prereqs and take upper-level biology courses to increase the low GPA you previously mentioned. McGill is known for pretty large grade deflation, so I would personally do it at another school. What province do you have residency in?

Rather than going after another degree, I would create a custom post-bacc program to satisfy all of the prereqs and take upper-level biology courses to increase the low GPA you previously mentioned. McGill is known for pretty large grade deflation, so I would personally do it at another school. What province do you have residency in?

Thanks a lot for the advice ! I was originally Quebec resident but now I live in Toronto , I was thinking more of the Universite de Montreal as they do have an affiliated hospital . what do you think of that ? sounds a good strategy ? Thanks a lot for your feedback .

Thanks a lot for the advice ! I was originally Quebec resident but now I live in Toronto , I was thinking more of the Universite de Montreal as they do have an affiliated hospital . what do you think of that ? sounds a good strategy ? Thanks a lot for your feedback .

Any medical school outside Ontario heavily favours their in-province applicants especially Quebec. Unless you are considered a resident of that province, you will be competing with other out-of-province applicants for a very small amount of seats. So check if you are still considered a resident since that will really affect your chances. Also in Quebec I believe there are ~3 medical schools (don't quote me on this) and several different programs but I'm not an expert in those programs. You'll have to check each school out and see if you can craft a strategy around the various school requirements. I'd probably call each school and ask

Have you looked into physician assistant schools (do they have those in Canada)? Or any other thing in medicine if you are set on the medical field? It'll take you some time to become competitive and even then it is not a sure thing. You'll probably be looking at low 40's before you finish school, and then there is residency.

Any medical school outside Ontario heavily favours their in-province applicants especially Quebec. Unless you are considered a resident of that province, you will be competing with other out-of-province applicants for a very small amount of seats. So check if you are still considered a resident since that will really affect your chances. Also in Quebec I believe there are ~3 medical schools (don't quote me on this) and several different programs but I'm not an expert in those programs. You'll have to check each school out and see if you can craft a strategy around the various school requirements. I'd probably call each school and ask

Wow ! thanks a lot for this insight ! I really appreciate it , this really helps me to craft my strategy .

Hello All,

I have recently finished my masters degree in Particle Physics in Toronto with a moderate GPA but I do carry low undergraduate GPA due to the fact that despite the fact I studied hard but it was not smart !
I am planning to go to medical school ,as at this stage of my life I cannot consider to do anything else in my life , I recently got a job in financial industry , but I do feel miserable and I do hate it with all my heart .
In order to become competitive for the Med schools , I am planning to do another undergraduate degree but in Biology this time and aim for all A`s .
I do not know if that is a smart decision and as I am fluent in French I was thinking of Quebec city or Montreal universities !
I kindly appreciate any advice and suggestions as now I am standing in total darkness , please let me know if you can think of any other solutions .

cheers !
I was in a similar situation as you -- BS in Physics, low science GPA (2.9). I did a post-bac for a year and a half, knocked out the MCAT, and now I have a few interview invites early in the cycle. Procedurally I'm not sure how postbacs/med school works in Canada, but don't ever doubt your ability to do well. The coursework you'll have to do wont be as hard as physics, and with your work ethic it's totally doable and I know you can pull it off too.

It's very hard to find fellow physics majors who are premed and are in your position. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar situation as you -- BS in Physics, low science GPA (2.9). I did a post-bac for a year and a half, knocked out the MCAT, and now I have a few interview invites early in the cycle. Procedurally I'm not sure how postbacs/med school works in Canada, but don't ever doubt your ability to do well. The coursework you'll have to do wont be as hard as physics, and with your work ethic it's totally doable and I know you can pull it off too.

It's very hard to find fellow physics majors who are premed and are in your position. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Wow ! Thanks a million for your comments ! you cannot believe how encouraging was that ! I have never been that much decided on any career path as I am now on medicine ! and you are absolutely right , not many people from physics in that route , normally they are attracted to finance industry ! Sure , I will PM with further questions And best of lucks for your upcoming interviews :)

Reactions: 1 user