Pass/Fail and Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading Option and the AMCAS

Started by DrMagic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrMagic

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Several people ask about whether or not P/F grades or S/U grades count towards the GPA and most people say they don't, but several on here and from outside sources alike tend to feel that AMCAS gives an actual inputted grade when an F or a U is obtained from one of these grading options, and thus lowering the student's GPA. I think there is another school of folks that mention AMCAS just taking note of the F or U attained in an ungraded course and potentially look at that with negativity, but that's as far as it will go, as the GPA will remain untouched. At my school P/F is not a grading option, only S/U, potentially just a same-difference set of words, but neither count towards the GPA. From what I am reading, I believe that the grade is noted, but that it does not inhibit one's GPA. I am taking a course S/U right now because I wanted to take a very advanced course and didn't have all the background, its a post-doc type of course.
 
2012 AMCAS manual, page 9:

Courses with the AMCAS grades listed below are not included in the GPA calculations. Instead, the total hours for each of these categories are reported to medical schools under the heading Supplementary Hours.

  • Pass/Fail - Pass
  • Pass/Fail - Fail
  • Advanced Placement (AP) Credit
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Credit
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are absolutely fine. I had one U on my transcript, which didn't translate into an F or anything (in fact the grade is invisible - go figure). Doesn't apply to your GPA at all and will more than likely not affect your chances (I have received interviews).
 
You are absolutely fine. I had one U on my transcript, which didn't translate into an F or anything (in fact the grade is invisible - go figure). Doesn't apply to your GPA at all and will more than likely not affect your chances (I have received interviews).

Sounds awesome, do you or anybody else know if an U or Nopass effects GPA in osteopathic applications? I would assume it would follow the same rule in this case.
 
2012 AMCAS manual, page 9:

This actually puts my mind at ease quite a bit.

I have a U on an independent study that I wasn't able to complete, so it's nice to see that it isn't going to besmirch my transcript and if I do get asked about it, I can explain it easily. Thanks.