Pass/fail questions very important

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesolic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying next cycle and I have some classes long timr ago
I took some ESL classes which were pass/fail and I got fail on some of it.
Somebody said My gpa is going to be dumped and I should give up going dental school because of this stupid ESL classes ten years ago. And other people said that because this is pass/fail classes so They cant hurt my gpa

What the heck is the right answer. I am so pissed now. ADDSAS said all grade and credit course will effect gpa when ones has F but in other line they said pass/fail class doesnt effect the gpa. They are making me so confused

Members don't see this ad.

Pass/Fail grades do not affect your GPA calculation. However, if there was a fail in an important class, the admissions committee might care. Only classes that you received a grade in will affect your GPA.

I am applying next cycle and I have some classes long timr ago
I took some ESL classes which were pass/fail and I got fail on some of it.
Somebody said My gpa is going to be dumped and I should give up going dental school because of this stupid ESL classes ten years ago. And other people said that because this is pass/fail classes so They cant hurt my gpa

What the heck is the right answer. I am so pissed now. ADDSAS said all grade and credit course will effect gpa when ones has F but in other line they said pass/fail class doesnt effect the gpa. They are making me so confused

ESL classes are not stupid, the person who told you to give up on dental school is stupid. When I apply, a few people told me i am not gonna get into dental school (one of them is my advisor). I am in now.

Call aadsas and ask them about your ESL classes. Be ready to explain about that F to adcoms. It will likely to come up at the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pass/Fail grades do not affect your GPA calculation. However, if there was a fail in an important class, the admissions committee might care. Only classes that you received a grade in will affect your GPA.

Thanks for the advices,

I don't get the idea, what does the important class mean ? they are ESL classes, well, they are important but I don't know that they are really impact for calculating GPA for applying dental school.

Also, If they are not calculated in GPA, then How do I put the grade on the application ? because in my transcript, it appears as " F" but when I tried to find out the grade " F " from PASS/FAIL , there wasn't... but NP

Do you guys think I should put grade as " NP " in the application ? or

Should I put as " F " ?

If I put " F " , then does the ADDSAS figure out that the if the classes are PASS/FAIL based ? or they just calculate as F in grade because they are careless ?

and what happend if I put it NP and ADDSAS figures out that it's not the exactly the same grade as it appears in the transcript ? Do they drop my application because of that ? or any disadvantage ? The reason I am going to put just NP not F is that doing that thing, they will figure out that grade is not the exactly the same but they will figure out that these ESL classes are based on PASS/FAIL classes otherwise, if I just put Fs then they might not recornize it and just calculate as it is....

What should I do ?...

You would put "NP" because it is a pass/fail system, they will recognize that it is a fail and not a letter grade "F", there is a HUGE difference. Coming from someone who has a D calculated in their GPA you can't imagine how much that lowers your GPA. Just put NP and call up AADSAS and tell them that even though it says "F" on your transcript it means a NP according to AADSAS

You would put "NP" because it is a pass/fail system, they will recognize that it is a fail and not a letter grade "F", there is a HUGE difference. Coming from someone who has a D calculated in their GPA you can't imagine how much that lowers your GPA. Just put NP and call up AADSAS and tell them that even though it says "F" on your transcript it means a NP according to AADSAS

Thanks,

I don't understand why AADSAS didn't put the F as Pass/fail in the application ,

why did they do that ?

why did they never care about the every possiblities,

when I saw their rule how to grade, I was so pissed , it seems like they don't even care about , seems like they are doing this for fun.

They don't take retake classes, like F and then A, they calculate every grades, I understood beause some school doesn't allow retake courses.

Then, why did they take A+ as 4.33 ??? some schools don't have A+ , what the heck is the system is this for ?

Thanks,

I don't understand why AADSAS didn't put the F as Pass/fail in the application ,

why did they do that ?

why did they never care about the every possiblities,

when I saw their rule how to grade, I was so pissed , it seems like they don't even care about , seems like they are doing this for fun.

They don't take retake classes, like F and then A, they calculate every grades, I understood beause some school doesn't allow retake courses.

Then, why did they take A+ as 4.33 ??? some schools don't have A+ , what the heck is the system is this for ?

I think your confusing AADSAS/pre-dentistry/dental world with universally equal system... its not, only the elites of the society make it in.... plain and simple.

The students with a bunch of A+ (4.3s) are at a MAJOR advantage because:
a) they picked the right school
b) with the right timing,
c) with the right professor and...
d) worked just right to earn an A+

I call it playing the system

I think your confusing AADSAS/pre-dentistry/dental world with universally equal system... its not, only the elites of the society make it in.... plain and simple.

The students with a bunch of A+ (4.3s) are at a MAJOR advantage because:
a) they picked the right school
b) with the right timing,
c) with the right professor and...
d) worked just right to earn an A+

I call it playing the system

I understand that, but what about the elite student who got 99 average and can't get A+ because of school doesn't have that grade ?

I understand that, but what about the elite student who got 99 average and can't get A+ because of school doesn't have that grade ?

Life isn't fair :shrug: at my school, we have (A-)'s but no (A+)'s

A person who frequently swings 99s here and there isn't going to have trouble getting in

Life isn't fair :shrug: at my school, we have (A-)'s but no (A+)'s

lol agree. Most of science classes at my University have A-, not A+. Everytime I get an A-, i just want to burn my exams. Cmon 90-92 should be an A.

suckkkk and unfair :thumbdown: :D

Another question

Ok , if I just put NP then what if AADSAS doesnt like I put NP not F
Does my application take longer time to processed ? Or any disadvantage getting marked on the transcript that I put it wrong ?

If they would recognize it and calculate as F from pass/fail , then it is fine I dont have problem but I dont trust AADSAS so I just want to make sure I put NP to make them think they are pass/fail class.

But the problem is what is going to effect if they recognize it but they say that I put it wrong ?
Do they just correct it and nothing happened ? Or do I get any disadvatage ?

some schools don't have A+

I honestly think that most schools have A+, and they just don't give out a lot of them. I didn't know my school had A+'s until I got one. Now I really want more, but they're damn hard to get here. In order to get an A+ at my school you need to have a 98+ average in the class and the professor needs to write a letter to the head of the department explaining why they felt that you deserved an A+ in the class. :(

Another question

Ok , if I just put NP then what if AADSAS doesnt like I put NP not F
Does my application take longer time to processed ?
Or any disadvantage getting marked on the transcript that I put it wrong ?

If they would recognize it and calculate as F from pass/fail , then it is fine I dont have problem but I dont trust AADSAS so I just want to make sure I put NP to make them think they are pass/fail class.

But the problem is what is going to effect if they recognize it but they say that I put it wrong ?
Do they just correct it and nothing happened ? Or do I get any disadvatage ?

Im pretty sure you have to put EXACTLY whats written on your transcript, but I think there is a drop-down menu for the type of course (like pass/fail), so that it doesn't count towards the GPA calculation (again, not 100% sure about this)

Call AADSAS to double check

Im pretty sure you have to put EXACTLY whats written on your transcript, but I think there is a drop-down menu for the type of course (like pass/fail), so that it doesn't count towards the GPA calculation (again, not 100% sure about this)

Call AADSAS to double check

What is drop-down menu? You mean grade option when i put the grade ?
There is F and NP. Not F as pass/fail

I will have to put either F or NP buty transcript says F not NP but I just dont trust AADSAS that they will recognize the F is not a F grade but its just F from pass/fail.

So I am not quite sure if I have put F or NP

What is drop-down menu? You mean grade option when i put the grade ?
There is F and NP. Not F as pass/fail

I will have to put either F or NP buty transcript says F not NP but I just dont trust AADSAS that they will recognize the F is not a F grade but its just F from pass/fail.

So I am not quite sure if I have put F or NP

Well, put NP first.... if they don't like it, AADSAS will change it to F... it will be out of your control

Well, put NP first.... if they don't like it, AADSAS will change it to F... it will be out of your control

Ok

So if they dont like it then does it take more time to change it ? Or does it just change right away and i will get no disadvantage for it ?

I heard they will put mark on it if I put it wrong

Ok

So if they dont like it then does it take more time to change it ? Or does it just change right away and i will get no disadvantage for it ?

It will postpone the application a little bit... I dunno by how much, maybe a week or two?

Cause its an automatic system.... when the system catches a "mismatch" between what was typed up vs what the transcript is showing, it puts the application on hold until an AADSAS representative opens it up and makes necessary changes (or leaves it alone)

Ok

Hey
Ok

Hey in a similar situation just wondering what ever happened with your gpa and everything?