pass Florida boards = pass NERBs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nir1009

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a few posts on here that there was some change in testing by the Florida Dental Board in 2008 and since their licensing exam is now administered by the NERB -- that passing the Florida state exam will also count towards passing the NERBs and allow you to get licensure in all the NERB states. Is this true? Has anyone done this or anyone have any links to somewhere that this is posted?

I searched quite a bit but could not find any information. Will try to call them tomm.

Members don't see this ad.

I read a few posts on here that there was some change in testing by the Florida Dental Board in 2008 and since their licensing exam is now administered by the NERB -- that passing the Florida state exam will also count towards passing the NERBs and allow you to get licensure in all the NERB states. Is this true? Has anyone done this or anyone have any links to somewhere that this is posted?

I searched quite a bit but could not find any information. Will try to call them tomm.

As far as I know. The state of Florida have its own board for a dental license. If you pass the NERB, WREB etc.. You still have to do the Florida board if you want to practice in the Sunshine state( MMMM Warmth!). Ah! and the state does not have reciprocity with any other state. How 'bout them apples?

Consider calling the board of dentistry so they can answer your inquiries.

Ya Florida is definitely the hardest state to obtain licensure from. You have to tale their exam only. However as of last march it is now administered by the NERB (by still graded and proctored by the fl dept of health). So now that it's a nerb exam we have what they call nerb status. Most states that accept nerb will accept the fl exam after march 2009. However it's up to the discretion of each individual state whether to accept or not. I don't want to leave fl so I haven't applied for licensure anywhere else but I know a classmate of mine who only took the fl exam and got licensure in Texas.

Omar

Ya Florida is definitely the hardest state to obtain licensure from. You have to tale their exam only. However as of last march it is now administered by the NERB (by still graded and proctored by the fl dept of health). So now that it's a nerb exam we have what they call nerb status. Most states that accept nerb will accept the fl exam after march 2009. However it's up to the discretion of each individual state whether to accept or not. I don't want to leave fl so I haven't applied for licensure anywhere else but I know a classmate of mine who only took the fl exam and got licensure in Texas.

Omar

Thanks for the response guys. I go to school in the northeast but this would be great for me b/c I would only have to take one clinical exam, instead of NERB + Florida exam.

Omar, is this "nerb status" something you apply for? or is it automatically conferred upon passing the Florida exam?

You automatically have nerb status once u pass, but it's up to the individual state whether to accept this or not. I would contact the state you want to work in and see what they tell you. Good luck