Pass up DO seat to reapply for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Take the DO seat or reapply to MD schools

• Total voters
omg, I just realized you're the same person posting about transferring in the DO section of SDN. Dude, retake your MCAT and reapply. End of discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

omg, I just realized you're the same person posting about transferring in the DO section of SDN. Dude, retake your MCAT and reapply. End of discussion.

lol that post was about a transfer to another DO school

Members don't see this ad :)
He said it much harsher than I, but certainly he is right. Also, going from a 30 mcat (which is average) to 250 isn't nearly as big of a leap as it is from a 20 mcat to a 34 mcat and then on to a 250.

idk, I have talked to many many residents (I'm a scribe, so i work with a lot of them) who said they didnt do well on the MCAT and aced the steps. Different kind of test

Reactions: 1 user
not true at all. read up, and have a good day
My point us that some people think an MD is a free ride to your specialty of choice, when in reality it is still very difficult to achieve. You can get all offended if you choose, just don't be naive.

Define didn't do well on mcat. I didn't do as well as I could've and I got a 31. Many of my peers said they didn't do well and for them that is a 24-25. Its relative.

My point us that some people think an MD is a free ride to your specialty of choice, when in reality it is still very difficult to achieve. You can get all offended if you choose, just don't be naive.

yeah this is very true. If you had read the rest of my posts after the original, you would see that I make this same point

Define didn't do well on mcat. I didn't do as well as I could've and I got a 31. Many of my peers said they didn't do well and for them that is a 24-25. Its relative.

mid 20's.

I can't believe this is even a question especially with the planned merger. I think it's a bad idea for anyone to go into medical school with their mind set on such a specific specialty because as other people have said... Your mind will probably change. So what if you take another year off and go through all this trouble and take the risk of not bringing your Mcat up enough only to discover that you'd be just as happy doing another specialty. Just a thought.

Posted using SDN Mobile

You're really not in a position to reject an an acceptance to any medical school with a low 20s score. Furthermore it's May. It's too late to be thinking about sitting down and boosting your score for MD because the cycle is about to start within a few weeks.

If you were telling us you were hitting high 20s, low 30s in the middle of March then it would be a different story. You however aren't even sure whether you'll be able to even attain the score you got last time at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
Listen, son.
Seh-down. Let me tell ya a story.

Back in the day (yesterday), I was watching Mystery Diagnosis. A kid had an extremely rare condition called cerebrotendineous xanthomatosis. This family saw doctor after doctor. Their kid got sent home from the ER countless times. Yet she was dying slowly. Finally an opthamalogist (who obviously aced the USMLE) referred the child to a metabolic geneticist. I was expecting some Harvard PhD level craziness because if an opthomologist can't deal with this rare condition, who would they know who can? A D.O., that's who. He diagnosed and saved the young girl from a rare, progressive, degenerative disease. If that doesn't inspire you to take your spot at a US medical school and run with it, then shucks, I'm outta options here. Good luck.

Reactions: 6 users
You're really not in a position to reject an an acceptance to any medical school with a low 20s score. Furthermore it's May. It's too late to be thinking about sitting down and boosting your score for MD because the cycle is about to start within a few weeks.

If you were telling us you were hitting high 20s, low 30s in the middle of March then it would be a different story. You however aren't even sure whether you'll be able to even attain the score you got last time at this point.

so true. I need some ice for that burn

Members don't see this ad :)
Listen, son.
Seh-down. Let me tell ya a story.

Back in the day (yesterday), I was watching Mystery Diagnosis. A kid had an extremely rare condition called cerebrotendineous xanthomatosis. This family saw doctor after doctor. Their kid got sent home from the ER countless times. Yet she was dying slowly. Finally an opthamalogist (who obviously aced the USMLE) referred the child to a metabolic geneticist. I was expecting some Harvard PhD level craziness because if an opthomologist can't deal with this rare condition, who would they know who can? A D.O., that's who. He diagnosed and saved the young girl from a rare, progressive, degenerative disease. If that doesn't inspire you to take your spot at a US medical school and run with it, then shucks, I'm outta options here. Good luck.

I love everything about this post, especially the bold part :D

Don't know if this has been said but why not just defer and see how you do on the MCAT?

OP, just take your acceptance

If you don't want to be a DO or have no affinity for the osteopathic profession, do us all a favor and don't go to a DO school.

Don't know if this has been said but why not just defer and see how you do on the MCAT?

Already deferred once. I was accepted last year and deferred because I was on a waitlist at a state school

If you don't want to be a DO or have no affinity for the osteopathic profession, do us all a favor and don't go to a DO school.

read the original post

read the original post
Your stated reasons are similar to what a lot of DO students (both on and off SDN) said motivated them to go to a DO school before changing their minds and wanting to be MD's instead and advocating for silly things like forcing all DO's to become MD's. If you really want to be a DO, then do it. If you don't, then don't.

MD's are still allowed to learn OMM.

Your stated reasons are similar to what a lot of DO students (both on and off SDN) said motivated them to go to a DO school before changing their minds and wanting to be MD's instead and advocating for silly things like forcing all DO's to become MD's. If you really want to be a DO, then do it. If you don't, then don't.

MD's are still allowed to learn OMM.

not too sure why you are insinuating that I am lying....I'll be the first to say that my MCAT would not have gotten me into MD even if I had tried...

Already deferred once. I was accepted last year and deferred because I was on a waitlist at a state school

If you've already deferred once, just take your acceptance. You already had one year of "self reflection".

Reactions: 3 users
i mean you could reapply for MD and pray that you get a higher MCAT score the second time around but who's to say you will. many of my friends have denied DO seats for another shot at a MD school to only score the same or worse after another year of studying for the MCAT. i scored in the mid twenties on my first try, and as soon as i got my score back a month later i signed back up for another MCAT two weeks later and then scored 8 points higher on my second MCAT to score in the low-mid 30's. what i did is not common whatsoever but it could happen. i'm going DO with an interest in surgery as well (possibly peds surgery like you) but i'm not going to let an extra hurdle or two get in my way or discourage me from trying to reach my goal. sure it may be easier as an MD but i'm up for the challenge.

i mean you could reapply for MD and pray that you get a higher MCAT score the second time around but who's to say you will. many of my friends have denied DO seats for another shot at a MD school to only score the same or worse after another year of studying for the MCAT. i scored in the mid twenties on my first try, and as soon as i got my score back a month later i signed back up for another MCAT two weeks later and then scored 8 points higher on my second MCAT to score in the low-mid 30's. what i did is not common whatsoever but it could happen. i'm going DO with an interest in surgery as well (possibly peds surgery like you) but i'm not going to let an extra hurdle or two get in my way or discourage me from trying to reach my goal. sure it may be easier as an MD but i'm up for the challenge.

thank you for your input!

Let someone who wants the spot have it.

Go after what you want in life.

There are many people on the waitlist who just want 1 acceptance. It would change their life forever.

Just make sure you're not getting greedy. I have an acceptance on hand but I started getting greedy and wanting more. It wasn't until I read the mdapp below that I realized I was being foolish.

pyrrion89 said:
On the night before my MCAT, I was so desperate to get a score good enough to get into any medical school, even if it was a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) school. That meant a 25+ MCAT score. Looking back, my motivations that night were pure and true---after all, the whole point of doing this crazy admissions game was so, in the end, I could practice medicine as a doctor. Everything else is icing on the cake and makes little difference in the quality of your career. No matter where you go to school, you will be a doctor with such open opportunities to do great good in the world.

When I got a 37, I was shocked. I was so scared during the first physics passage that I nearly had a panic attack and left the testing center. Suddenly, with my numbers, my options had opened up significantly.

In many ways I think these possibilities kindled ambition, and ambition mutated into greed. I became obsessed with US News and World Report rankings the same way a fashionista goes window shopping by brand at a high-end clothing mall. My self worth became tied to my success at these schools, and every success and failure became a boost or blow to my ego.

This experience, in many ways, represents a weakness in my character, but I think it is a weakness shared by many applicants. It is an understandable shortcoming. If you are in this situation, I encourage you to take a step back and remember why you decided to become a doctor in the first place. Every school will prepare you to become an excellent doctor. Every school will allow you to pursue the career you envision. The differences among schools exist, but, in the grand scheme of things, they are relatively miniscule. If you obsess over these differences, then they will warp, magnify, and consume you.

The thing about greed is that it is insatiable. If you are beholden to it, then you will never be satisfied with the magnitude of your accomplishments---for there will always be another, greater accomplishment out of your reach, and you will fixate on that failure rather than revel in the successes behind you. There will always be something bigger, something greater out of your reach, no matter how much you achieve. The trick to happiness is recognizing that fact and being happy with what you have and have done.

In the end, I was not accepted to many of the schools of my dreams, but I am tremendously thankful for all the extraordinary schools that have accepted me. I have no right to complain. None.

Gratitude is a pathway to real, sustainable happiness. If you are accepted anywhere, be happy for what you have.

Reactions: 12 users
You already deferred a year previously? My take: you aren't getting younger, and this med school business is so long that you need to get started already. You're looking at a two year wait to start an md spot in the best of circumstances, and I'm sure you're already aware of what the worst case scenario is.

I'm an ms3 at an md school and I ended up taking two extra years to buff my app and try to get an md spot over just applying DO right away. To be honest, Im not sure I made the right call (and I didn't even have a DO acceptance in hand, if I had I would have definitely taken it). Two years of your life is an enormous sacrifice.

But that's just my perspective.

Reactions: 3 users
You already deferred a year previously? My take: you aren't getting younger, and this med school business is so long that you need to get started already. You're looking at a two year wait to start an md spot in the best of circumstances, and I'm sure you're already aware of what the worst case scenario is.

I'm an ms3 at an md school and I ended up taking two extra years to buff my app and try to get an md spot over just applying DO right away. To be honest, Im not sure I made the right call (and I didn't even have a DO acceptance in hand, if I had I would have definitely taken it). Two years of your life is an enormous sacrifice.

But that's just my perspective.

Nice to have input from someone on the other side! Thanks!

mid 20's.

Something is wrong with you if you are a resident and remember your MCAT score.

I'm an MS1 and the only reason I remember mine is because I got the same score on each section.

I don't usually post, but I feel I should put my two cents in after reading over this same conversation several times.

OP: you've posted this thread twice (here, and again under "Pediatric Surgery" in the Osteopathic forum), and have received some mixed responses with a majority telling you to take the acceptance and work hard. From the continued responses consisting of DO-uncertainty, perhaps you have your mind set on already deferring your acceptance and applying in two years -- even though you might be consciously struggling.

I'm only accepted -- so you should take my advice with a grain of salt -- but my following opinion has been unianimous among each physician I've had the pleasure of working with (that is, over 4,000 hours collective between EM docs and surgeons alike):
The letters behind your name mean nothing past matching. Whether MD or DO, fellowships care significantly more about where you did your residency and where your recommendations come from -- which your school actually has very little to do with. In my personal opinion, the best way to increase options for any medical student is to rock their boards, rock their rotations, obtain some research experiences and publications directed towards their desired specialty if possible, and match into the best program they can. It's not so much the pediatric fellowship you should worry about -- it's matching into a top general surgery program.

If and when you've already decided what to do, perhaps you should let everyone know in both threads so that we can all stop sounding like echos of each other.

Medical school is long, residency is long, and life is even longer. What's another year? Why give up on a dream? Who cares if people say you will more than likely change your mind? Ultimately it's your life, and I think anyone is capable of getting a 30+ on the MCAT. Even if you do change your mind you're still not going to be wondering what if. That "year of potential income" argument I see around here is kind of ridiculous. No one knows how long they will live and how long they will practice.

I don't usually post, but I feel I should put my two cents in after reading over this same conversation several times.

OP: you've posted this thread twice (here, and again under "Pediatric Surgery" in the Osteopathic forum), and have received some mixed responses with a majority telling you to take the acceptance and work hard. From the continued responses consisting of DO-uncertainty, perhaps you have your mind set on already deferring your acceptance and applying in two years -- even though you might be consciously struggling.

I'm only accepted -- so you should take my advice with a grain of salt -- but my following opinion has been unianimous among each physician I've had the pleasure of working with (that is, over 4,000 hours collective between EM docs and surgeons alike):
The letters behind your name mean nothing past matching. Whether MD or DO, fellowships care significantly more about where you did your residency and where your recommendations come from -- which your school actually has very little to do with. In my personal opinion, the best way to increase options for any medical student is to rock their boards, rock their rotations, obtain some research experiences and publications directed towards their desired specialty if possible, and match into the best program they can. It's not so much the pediatric fellowship you should worry about -- it's matching into a top general surgery program.

If and when you've already decided what to do, perhaps you should let everyone know in both threads so that we can all stop sounding like echos of each other.

Your school plays anywhere from a minor to a significant role in where you match. It's not only about having a good name (HMS, for example) but also about having access to renowned physicians to write letters for you.

Though as you correctly stated, residency is important to fellowships, you are incorrect in thinking that a DO is likely to match at a "top" gen surg program.

I also don't understand why so many of you think the opinions of the average attending mean anything when it comes to med school admissions or residency applications. The application climate was way different for them and unless they are a PD or a voting member of the admissions committee they have no idea what's going on right now.

I'm an MS1 and the only reason I remember mine is because I got the same score on each section.

I start med school in July....

Do you realize how fortunate you are to even have the opportunity to become a physician, especially with your low 20s MCAT? Take the acceptance. Besides, if you didn't want DO why did you even apply there?

It's normal to want the best for yourself and having cold feet about the second-best option is not unusual.

I did want DO. I want to learn OMM specifically. I'm just worried about the effect it will have in the long run. @DoctorofDelight

Do yourself a favor and drop your DO acceptance and reapply MD. A year or 2 is nothing in the long run. You'll be happy you did this.

The worst thing I can think of in your situation is living with the "what if"s should you take the DO acceptance and it doesn't lead you to where you'd like to be in the future. The blame for that might be placed solely on this single decision that you will be making, and it shouldn't be. Don't let that happen.

Dispel any doubts, turn down this DO acceptance, and give yourself a second shot at doing what you are truly comfortable with.

Don't you attend a top 10 MD school?

Why the HELL are you in the pre-DO section posting such negative things. How do you even have time for this?

Is this going to be your unique EC that you plan to mention at residency interviews?

Reactions: 2 users

Why the HELL are you in the pre-DO section posting such negative things. How do you even have time for this?

Is this going to be your unique EC that you plan to mention at residency interviews?

There's lots of free time during MS1. You'll see.

Idk what was negative about that anyway. Do you remember your SAT score?

I did want DO. I want to learn OMM specifically. I'm just worried about the effect it will have in the long run. @DoctorofDelight

Don't know what else you want to hear... after reading this entire thread, it seems like you want to retake and reapply. So just retake and reapply. There are advantages and risks to doing this, as you and others have pointed out.

You have to be confident in your decisions as an individual. You will learn this more and more especially in medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't know what else you want to hear... after reading this entire thread, it seems like you want to retake and reapply. So just retake and reapply. There are advantages and risks to doing this, as you and others have pointed out.

You have to be confident in your decisions as an individual. You will learn this more and more especially in medicine.

Honestly, no. I am almost certain I will keep my seat. My brain says keep the seat, but my gut says re take. I'll likely go with my brain

How about you study hardcore for the MCAT for 2-3 months starting now (assuming your DO school starts early august/late july) and see if you can pull a 30+? If you do, then you can easily drop your seat without financial repercussions and apply MD for the 2014-2015 cycle. If you don't pull a 30+, cut your losses for MD and attend the DO school you got accepted to.

You have really gotten thread-happy lately. I feel like I'm running into new threads started by you everywhere!
Also, for me, this is a no-brainer. Go D.O. and become a doctor. Not worth pushing back your education for a year to get... the same education (minus OMM). As many have said before and will say again, your school is not what gets you into a good residency, nor does it get you good board scores. It's on you. Buy hey what do I know? I am a simple man. I like pretty dark-haired women and breakfast food.

Reactions: 4 users

i remember a user who was banned not too long ago. they spent all their life on these forums bashing DO schools and barely squeaked into a bottom tier school as a URM. maybe somebody else remembers.

Last edited:

Okay, what'd I miss? I didn't see him posting anything negative. Or does this stem from some other thread?

i remember a user who was banned not too long ago. they spent all their life on these forums bashing DO schools and barely squeaked into a bottom tier school as a URM. maybe somebody else remembers.

He's at BU. I met him on the interview trail. It's no top 20, but I wouldn't call it a bottom tier.