Pass vs B- Multivariable Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

octopusinrussia

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman pre-med. Fall semester, I ended up with A's, a B+ in Chem, and a B- in multi, which I currently have a pass fail on. With the pass fail, I have a 3.83 gpa, without I have a 3.65. Should I remove the pass fail? Should I take more math if I also have AP credit for calc 1 and 2?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a freshman pre-med. Fall semester, I ended up with A's, a B+ in Chem, and a B- in multi, which I currently have a pass fail on. With the pass fail, I have a 3.83 gpa, without I have a 3.65. Should I remove the pass fail? Should I take more math if I also have AP credit for calc 1 and 2?
Selective P/F is may be looked down by adcoms, but if it's one time may be do it. Also most schools allow AP credit. so if you are struggling in math and already have AP credits don't take math classes. What major are you planning?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I had a B- in multi and my cycle is going fine, don't stress too much and try to use P/F if you are in danger of dropping BELOW a B- in my opinion. Classes are only going to get harder.

Selective P/F is may be looked down by adcoms, but if it's one time may be do it. Also most schools allow AP credit. so if you are struggling in math and already have AP credits don't take math classes. What major are you planning?
Currently deciding between engineering or biosciences and psychology. I've heard that adcoms may just assume a selective P/F is a C or D, so a P may look worse than a B-.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently deciding between engineering or biosciences and psychology. I've heard that adcoms may just assume a selective P/F is a C or D, so a P may look worse than a B-.
There is that possibility, but may be worth taking that risk if that's only P/F course and come up with a good explanation. Be aware of GPA risk with engineering.

I don’t think ad coms will care if you p/f multi, which most premeds don’t even take. I would be careful P/F core pre-med courses, like biochemistry.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you heard correctly, but not D (or even C-), because most schools will not give a P for grades below C, and most people won't bother masking grades above a C.

The fact, is, you are only a freshman. Assuming you do well enough to have a viable med school application by the time you are ready to apply, the difference in your GPA will be insignificant regardless of what you do, so you might as well show the B-. Also, keep in mind a TON of people on SDN have been successful with multiple Cs, Ws, Fs, etc., so it is pointless to sweat one mediocre grade. Good luck!!!

Multivariable Calculus is not remedial algebra. It is a hard class. My perspective is you would not be judged 'unable to handle a medical school curriculum' for a B- in a class like that as a freshman. The p/f will probably draw unnecessary attention to it.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors