Passage Mapping for PS/VR/BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone map the passage on PS ? VR? BS?

Kaplan suggests this.
I'm not sure if it's helpful or a waste of time. I used to use it for VR, then I switched to EK method, which I find to help me a LOT more when it comes to verbal.

I still use some small passage mapping for PS/BS. Does anyone have any suggestions? Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Use what you think works for you. I used passage mapping extensively for VR. I never really used it for the PS or the BS - although I did use it for BS occasionally. Personally, I liked passage mapping for verbal because it is my style. Writing stuff down really helps me, in day-to-day things. So for VR, where I had a more difficult time organizing information in my head, passage mapping was extremely helpful. PS and BS were far more natural to me, and I could do all the thinking in my head. I tried EK's verbal strats, but I didn't really like them much. I did use their passages to practice though.

Use what works for you, and your personality. Just stick to it.

I don't suggest passage mapping for verbal since for most people it seems to distract them from the main idea. They focus too much on mapping and not enough on capturing the main idea and author's opinion. The only times I've seen passage mapping work is when a student was already used to it before studying for the MCAT. Furthermore, I think passage mapping doesn't work with the new CBT format.

For the other subjects, I didn't find it that useful and again, I don't think mapping works for CBTs.

I don't suggest passage mapping for verbal since for most people it seems to distract them from the main idea. They focus too much on mapping and not enough on capturing the main idea and author's opinion. The only times I've seen passage mapping work is when a student was already used to it before studying for the MCAT. Furthermore, I think passage mapping doesn't work with the new CBT format.

For the other subjects, I didn't find it that useful and again, I don't think mapping works for CBTs.
I agree..mapping by default encourages attention to detail which will ruin you in VR. Stay "above" the passage in your mind and get the big pic. I started at 6-7 range and consistantly hit 11-12 on the AAMC so i promote simplicity. I mean read expecting questions and answer when asked....move on :D

Members don't see this ad :)

I really don't know how you can recommend or not recommend anything. Passage mapping works for some people. It worked for me. It kept me focused on the main points. That's how I learn. So I think you are doing a disservice by telling people that one particular strategy absolutely doesn't help. As for mapping with the new CBT format...I took both MCATs on CBT, and I don't think you'll tell me my scores were bad (both times). So it works for SOME people. If you are not one of those people, then do not use it. I'm not in favor of using a strategy if it really doesn't work for you. But I also don't think you should completely invalidate a strategy.

I really don't know how you can recommend or not recommend anything. Passage mapping works for some people. It worked for me. It kept me focused on the main points. That's how I learn. So I think you are doing a disservice by telling people that one particular strategy absolutely doesn't help. As for mapping with the new CBT format...I took both MCATs on CBT, and I don't think you'll tell me my scores were bad (both times). So it works for SOME people. If you are not one of those people, then do not use it. I'm not in favor of using a strategy if it really doesn't work for you. But I also don't think you should completely invalidate a strategy.

It can work for some people, but those people are usually used to passage mapping already or a variation of it. I think it worked well for you since, as you mentioned, it was your style and you were used to writing things out for day to day things. I haven't seen anyone just pick up passage mapping solely for the MCAT and be successful with it, though I'm sure there are some that do succeed. Passage mapping requires more than 3-4 months of practice to get good with it. Again, if one is used to passage mapping while reading, he or she should use it because that's there style. Lastly, I give advice that I believe will benefit the most people. From my experiences, passage mapping does not work for the majority in regards to verbal. Similarly, studying for less then a month can work for some, but not the majority.

Last edited:
It can work for some people, but those people are usually used to passage mapping already or a variation of it. I think it worked well for you since, as you mentioned, it was your style and you were used to writing things out for day to day things. I haven't seen anyone just pick up passage mapping solely for the MCAT and be successful with it, though I'm sure there are some that do succeed. Passage mapping requires more than 3-4 months of practice to get good with it. Again, if one is used to passage mapping while reading, he or she should use it because that's there style. Lastly, I give advice that I believe will benefit the most people. From my experiences, passage mapping does not work for the majority in regards to verbal. Similarly, studying for less then a month can work for some, but not the majority.

I did not use passage mapping for my first MCAT whatsoever. The second time around, I practiced mapping for roughly 1 month. I ended up using it on my second MCAT and it really helped out. I never did mapping for other reading. Although I did make small summaries when doing reading for biology courses, I never actively mapped anything before the MCAT.