Passed the deadline for SVI--what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vicky T

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am shooting for EM this cycle and have been completing the requirements one by one in preparation for applying (boards, rotations, SLOEs, personal statement, etc). I knew there was a new standardized video interview thing we had to do, but I assumed that we had flexibility in terms of when we can complete it like we have for the board exams and I didn't know the deadline was so early. It has now come to my attention that, due to my ignorance of this deadline, I missed the opportunity and may not be able to have a SVI score on my file. Now I have some questions.

How will this affect me? What can I do to mitigate the potential damage? Would PDs care that much about the SVI score? Do I still even apply for EM at this point?

As you can probably tell, I am panicking. Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I am shooting for EM this cycle and have been completing the requirements one by one in preparation for applying (boards, rotations, SLOEs, personal statement, etc). I knew there was a new standardized video interview thing we had to do, but I assumed that we had flexibility in terms of when we can complete it like we have for the board exams and I didn't know the deadline was so early. It has now come to my attention that, due to my ignorance of this deadline, I missed the opportunity and may not be able to have a SVI score on my file. Now I have some questions.

How will this affect me? What can I do to mitigate the potential damage? Would PDs care that much about the SVI score? Do I still even apply for EM at this point?

Definitely still apply! If you're worried, consider applying a bit more broadly than you might have otherwise, as we don't really know how a lack of a score will impact your application. But once you start getting interviews, that'll be a reassuring sign that the missing SVI didn't hurt you. Good luck!

"All applicants to ACGME-accredited emergency medicine residency programs are encouraged to complete the Standardized Video Interview as a component of the ERAS 2019 application. Note, completion of the Standardized Video Interview is not a required field in your ERAS application; therefore, you will not be barred from applying for a residency position in emergency medicine if you do not complete the Standardized Video Interview. However, the emergency medicine residency programs to which you apply will be aware that you did not complete the interview and may consider your application incomplete."

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...a68db3952/sviessentails-eras2019-20180405.pdf

So you aren't necessarily beyond hope. As to how it will affect your application is less clear. My understanding is that the PDs opinions on the video interview vary from very skeptical to undecided on its significance. However, I think it will still affect you negatively as even PDs who are very skeptical of the utility of the SVI will still view it as a hoop that you failed to jump through and will draw conclusion about what this would mean about you as a resident in terms of meeting deadlines for paperwork and such. So agreed with the advice to apply a little more broadly than you were previously intending.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also did not take the SVI. Currently PGY3 in a surgical residency and just returned from active duty military orders (BOLC). Trying to make a transition of emergency medicine this year. Filed for an extension on 9/3 (after deadline). Hoping that I'm allowed to take the interview, but also realize that may not happen. Not sure how this will be seen by AAMC or residency programs that I apply to. SVI didn't exist when I was applying for residency the first time.

I am your savior! (maybe). Taken from ERAS:

The Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors has introduced a new Standardized Letter of Evaluation (SLOE) form for those applying to Emergency Medicine.

To request a SLOE, please send your letter author the ERAS Letter Request Form (that should include your ERAS Letter ID), and the SLOE website link (SLOE), which has instructions for completing the Form and information on eligibility requirements.
The specialty requested that all applicants complete the AAMC Standardized Video Interview between 09:00 AM ET on June 7 and 11:59 PM ET on July 15, 2018. Learn more about the AAMC Standardized Video Interview at: www.aamc.org/standardizedvideointerview.
The deadline for the AAMC Standardized Video Interview has passed. To request to take the interview after 11:59 PM ET on July 15, 2018, contact: [email protected]

Let us know how it goes.