passport style photo

Started by Robanada
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Robanada

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some schools want a "passport style photo" with the app. Does this mean that I should take a photo of my actual passport (cropping out the text, of course) and submit that? Or should I take a new photo for the app? I am an exception to Murphy's law and actually have a decent ID picture.

This would mean that the photo I submitted has the holographic lines across my face...
 
Some schools want a "passport style photo" with the app. Does this mean that I should take a photo of my actual passport (cropping out the text, of course) and submit that? Or should I take a new photo for the app? I am an exception to Murphy's law and actually have a decent ID picture.

This would mean that the photo I submitted has the holographic lines across my face...

No, it's not a literal photo of your passport. It's a photo that meets requirements for use in passports or similar IDs or a photo taken in the style of the aforementioned photo. This basically means full frontal, chest and up (face is at least 2/3 of the height of photo), dress is at least something with a collar (for men), professional background (ie, white, etc), sized to fit a passport/ID.

To recap:
1) Just get someone to take a digital photo of your upper body (from chest up) while standing against a white wall
2) crop/resize in photoshop or even MS Paint
3) save a jpg
4) email to school
5) ???
6) Profi...er...acceptance!

Edit: official passport photo requirements from the US State Department: http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/pptphotoreq_5333.html
 
Last edited:
Some schools want a "passport style photo" with the app. Does this mean that I should take a photo of my actual passport (cropping out the text, of course) and submit that? Or should I take a new photo for the app? I am an exception to Murphy's law and actually have a decent ID picture.

This would mean that the photo I submitted has the holographic lines across my face...

:laugh: That's classic.

In the event you don't want to do it yourself, you can usually go to Walgreens or CVS and they'll do it for about $10 (includes printed and digital copies of the pictures).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, it's not a literal photo of your passport. It's a photo that meets requirements for use in passports or similar IDs or a photo taken in the style of the aforementioned photo. This basically means full frontal, chest and up (face is at least 2/3 of the height of photo), dress is at least something with a collar (for men), professional background (ie, white, etc), sized to fit a passport/ID.

1) Just get someone to take a digital photo of your upper body (from chest up) while standing against a white wall
2) crop/resize in photoshop or even MS Paint
3) save a jpg
4) email to school
5) ???
6) Profi...er...acceptance!

Ok, great, thanks!
 
Even for schools that don't require passport-style photos, submit one like it anyway (facing the camera, professional-looking, no one's hand on your shoulder, etc.). You would not believe the pictures people submit with their applications. A passport-style photo isn't going to help your application, but if the photos are unprofessional looking in some way, they are very likely to hurt your application.
 
This is OLD. But can I smile in my "passport style photo" I have a school ID photo that's similar, but I'm smiling
 
Mate 🤣

Don’t crop your passport, they want a picture similar to the one on your ID’s; a headshot
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Passport style means just your head and the top of the shoulders.
Is a picture like this any good?
Is this any good.jpg